Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone know the torque specs for the stock screws for a Savage Predator Hunter? I have one in 22-250 and want to tweak the trigger a bit but didn't see anything in the manual about it...unless I over looked it. I wasn't sure in putting things back together once I got the trigger where I wanted it what the torque should be.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have an inch-pounds torque wrench?
Does this thing have the funny v-block screws?
All my rifles, including my Savages, are bedded and have pillars I installed to make them "hard" tightening.
The screw spins down until it hits and gets tight right there. I don't actually torque things, just a decent pull on the allen wrench with the index and middle fingers to the same point on the clock from initial contact.
In general tho, no more than 25-30 inch pounds. As long as you are consistent without being a "farmer" you should be fine.
Try 20 inch pounds first, then 25.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, I have an in/lbs screwdriver. No V-block screws. I think the new AccuStock rifles don't have the wedge screw in the forend. This one has only three screws. It seems I saw somewhere that the AccuStock takes 40 in/lbs and the synthetic stocks 30-35 but, I wouldn't swear to it.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's written anywhere what they should be. Manufacturer's are negligent in telling you that.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I shoot my own custom assembled rifles on Savage Precision Target Actions. Screw tension is very important to accuracy. Keeping in mind that my stocks are all pillar bedded wood laminate and then stress free epoxy bedded with the portion of the stock from the rear action screw rearward free floated (the tang area is completely free floated which improves accuracy). The barrels are also free floated as are the barrel nuts.

Free floated trigger and tang during epoxy bedding process:

[Linked Image]

Best torque is: front screw 35 in lbs, middle screw 35 in lbs, rear screw 30 in lbs. I confirmed this on three actions, one a dual port with different screw spacing, all responded identically regardless of barrel manufacturer, rifling type or cartridge.

Here's what that looks like on the target:

[Linked Image]

Read bottom row first, left to right, then top left target. There are about 17 rounds through the top left group to check consistency. Not bad for a little bullet at 4,110 fps. You have to shoot groups and check torque settings to really know. I use a precision torque gauge similar to a torque wrench to make the settings.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 06/16/14.
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This morning I called Savage and talked with someone about this and gave them the serial number. He came back and told me 30-35 in/lbs on the action screws and just snug the rear guard screw as it only held the stock/action together. Of course, a little experimentation is always in order as I found out tweaking a pre-64 Winchester.

I have the Fat Wrench torque screwdriver so getting the proper torque is just a dial in away.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So, if I get out my inchpounds wrench I'll get groups like THAT?
Wow, nice shootin.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 219DW, 270cowboy, 63 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.