Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got small kids right now(Daughter is 6 Son is almost 3) and I've been giving some thought on what the perfect first .22 would be...I'm thinking that I'll be picking up a Stevens 22/410, Savage 24, or Savage M42 this summer...my kids are pretty big for their ages and I've got plenty of time(My daughter hasn't shown much interest in stuff that doesn't come with "Barbie"). Just curious as to what others think would be a great "starter" .22.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Find a Winchester model 75 single shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Son & Daughter are 14 & 10 now. Started them at 4 & 5 with a Crickett. Am a .22 Nut so tried a bunch. Best of the lot in my opinion is the Savage 'Rascal', good trigger, loading ramp, sturdy scope mount (order the bases from Savage as they are the only ones that fit), has a real safety, decent peep sight. The Rascal is a small kids gun... they can actually hold it off hand, if they are too big for one I would give a serious look at the Ruger American compact... the butt extension can be changed out for the adult version later for a measly $20. I used to recommend the CZ
scout which is an excellent rifle, but the Ruger American's safety, ability to adapt to an adult and availability are better in my opinion, and it is just as accurate. Plus being grooved for a rimfire scope base and D&T'd for bases is a plus to me.

The Rascal comes in girlie colors... so that may entice your daughter. Mine got to the point she could spot a pink stocked rifle from the far end of the store.

BTW my Son is a heck of a shot, we shoot at eggs at 50 yards offhand and he is close to beating me these days.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 06/17/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a Chipmunk for my daughters 25 years ago. It was the same thing as a Crickett, but with nice wood and it cost more than the Crickett is currently going for. Cocking can be difficult for small hands, but you will be right on top of them to take care of that if needed anyway.

I bought a single shot Thompson Center Hot Shot for my grandsons. Much easier to cock, very light, but no longer available.

I recently picked up a Ruger American Compact for the kids as they grow. I figure they can transition from the open sight T-C, to the scoped Chipmunk, to the Ruger. With an adult module, I may just shoot the snot out of the Ruger before they get it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I've got small kids right now(Daughter is 6 Son is almost 3) and I've been giving some thought on what the perfect first .22 would be...I'm thinking that I'll be picking up a Stevens 22/410, Savage 24, or Savage M42 this summer...my kids are pretty big for their ages and I've got plenty of time(My daughter hasn't shown much interest in stuff that doesn't come with "Barbie"). Just curious as to what others think would be a great "starter" .22.

The Savage Cub was the bee's knees but it is no more.

I bought my daughter a Rascal and I think they're the best thing going in a "starter" rifle.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unlike the rest of these jabroni's, I recommend the S&W M&P 15-22. If'n a feller was to lay all these 'starter' rifles on the bench and let little Junior choose, guess which one he'll grab? And guess which one you'll have the most trouble prying outta their grubby little hands when done? Gawd, I hate wrasslin' weapons away from chilluns.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My daughter wouldn't be able to hold one comfortably.

But I'm all for graduating them to semi-autos as soon as possible.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the Chipmunk thing with my kid. Cocking takes two men and a buffalo, and the trigger is absolutely horrid. Stay away.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always thought it was best to start out the kids on a single shot until they learned and demonstrated proper safety technique and awareness.
Of course, you can single load just about any .22 rifle, so I would go with an early Remington or Winchester .22 with a light barrel. Also, the Remington 581/582 series rifles are very light and full sized rifles that would work great, are very accurate, and they will grow into easily.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

The Savage Cub was the bee's knees but it is no more.

I bought my daughter a Rascal and I think they're the best thing going in a "starter" rifle.

Travis

This...

There has never been a child I detested enough to give them a chipmunk/cricket .22

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 1minute
Did the Chipmunk thing with my kid. Cocking takes two men and a buffalo, and the trigger is absolutely horrid. Stay away.

That was the fallacy of the old single shots with the separate cocking piece like the Winchester 67. Supposed to be extra safe, but not so. Too easy for the knob to slip from the fingers.

The CZ Scout is a nice little rifle, but the pistol grip isn't scaled for small hands, too fat.

The Savage Rascal looks like a good choice, but I have no experience with it. Seems to be a well thought out package.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
+1 to Paul39. he Chipmunks are s-m-a-l-l. Bought my son a Marlin 'Lil Buckaroo. Bigger, heavier rifle, but he mostly shot it from a rest. Put a tasco red dot on it, and that was probably the best decision I made. Got him hooked on shooting

Papa'Joe

Eradicate violence; kill all the violent people you know.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I agree, my children started with the CZ452 Scout.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1minute

I worked on a Chipmumk for a friend. About impossible to get a good trigger pull due to the design. You have to use their scope set up, because the action is so small.

I'd go with the CZ or Savage. Not impressed with the Chipmunk.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Add the Marlin to that list.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than the bassackward safety, I really like the CZ Scout. I bought my daughter a CZ Pink Scout several years ago.

[Linked Image]

When she outgrew it, it got repainted for my son...
[Linked Image]

The Scout comes with a singleshot adapter, but you can buy regular mags for it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You gave him a can? I'm jealous.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was actually threaded while it was pink, so the can belongs to both of them. I've got a couple more rimfire cans on the way though so everyone can have their own rimfire can. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
UBER dad of the year.

Travis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.