-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure, I am easy to find, usually... cell phones made it that way.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More phallic fantasies from UAE. LOL! Is English maybe a third language?

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Good reading. Maybe a good way to phrase the question is "what caliber would you carry if you are an Alaskan resident hunting alone?"
The .25-06 sounded great until I read the report of the .416 shot bear chewing on the guide.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I lived 7 years in Alaska and my rifle of choice was the 338 win mag and of course my big bore revolvers. Today with the better bullet such as the Barnes TSX or TTSX I would use my 30-06 exclusively as my rifle of choice.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by a12
Good reading. Maybe a good way to phrase the question is "what caliber would you carry if you are an Alaskan resident hunting alone?"
The .25-06 sounded great until I read the report of the .416 shot bear chewing on the guide.

Realize the 25-06 with 80gr TTSXs was not a stunt for several reasons... The bear was determined from the very beginning to be of modest proportion. The bullet had performed very well on a bull moose of far greater mass and the shot selection was going to be "choice" or there would be no shot.

As it was the initial shot and the follow-up were absolutely lethal. The bullets made two holes each within 2" of each other and did significant heart damage. Had they been higher the bear may have taken longer to die by a minute or so, but it would still have died.

At 150 yards and in the wide open the bear would have to survive a hail of bullets all the way in if it charged.

I have every reason to believe a 223 would have done the same with good bullets and the same placement.

And the caliber of the bullet is not magic if it gets delivered to the wrong address.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike

When finding oneself at the bottom of a hole it is usually a good idea to stop digging.

You have admitted to no experience, no likelihood of ever going brown bear hunting, and no real desire to go. Yet you want to go after someone that obviously makes a living doing it.

I would guess the guide he works for caters to Teutonic hunters and his bilingual skills are much appreciated there.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
You aren't from around these parts are you? crazy

ESL

dubai

Trump Won!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone with Joe Want's e-mail needs to send him this link he will have a field day with this that's for sure. Over on AOD when questions like this were asked ol Joe Want would show up and offer up his advice unfortunately Ol Joe Want and AOD have parted ways so no more Joe frown

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AOD has a history of only objecting to those that actually have a clue... They have left so many unbelievable losers there it is beyond pathetic. I doubt Joe would find as much room to swing here...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
AOD has a history of only objecting to those that actually have a clue... They have left so many unbelievable losers there it is beyond pathetic. I doubt Joe would find as much room to swing here...

You aint joking that place has gone to [bleep] that's for sure. I go over to see if anything new has pooped up nope same old [bleep] LOL.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by UAE
[Linked Image]

it's a cartoon... this bear was shot with a minimum or a optimum caliber !!!

Is the bear pointing at Safariman after he shot him with his "uber" mag?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by UAE
[Linked Image]

LMAO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UAE
=By the way Marinehawk... if I was tinking my beloved 338 WMG was not optimum I would buy a 416 or 458 but anyway If I had to buy a 375 it wouldn't be a Weatherby... it's not a optimum 375... from my point of view the best designed 375 is the RUGER... Marinehawk you should yes get the optimum 375 by buying a 375 RUGER and yes, I'll agree with you... Marinehawk you have the optimum 375... nevertheless I wish you a very good hunt this fall (nice weather and a huge bear). Where are you going in which unit in Kodiak (I think) ?

I never said what I hunted with was an "optimum." If you don't like the opinion that the .375 Wby is "optimum," please find someone who actually has said that to attack. I never said it. It's what I bought before my last hunt and used. The 375 Ruger possibly is just as good or better for the most part. I never said anything bad about the .375 Ruger. I don't own one. I'm going to the same place as before, not Kodiak, about 120 mi. north of Dillingham.

U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by UAE
[Linked Image]

Hello

the story told "a grizzly bear pointing in the police line-up a hunter who shot him in the bum" but of course yes..... he did it with an ULTRA SUPER RUM UBER MEGA caliber afficionados wink

U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by UAE
=By the way Marinehawk... if I was tinking my beloved 338 WMG was not optimum I would buy a 416 or 458 but anyway If I had to buy a 375 it wouldn't be a Weatherby... it's not a optimum 375... from my point of view the best designed 375 is the RUGER... Marinehawk you should yes get the optimum 375 by buying a 375 RUGER and yes, I'll agree with you... Marinehawk you have the optimum 375... nevertheless I wish you a very good hunt this fall (nice weather and a huge bear). Where are you going in which unit in Kodiak (I think) ?

I never said what I hunted with was an "optimum." If you don't like the opinion that the .375 Wby is "optimum," please find someone who actually has said that to attack. I never said it. It's what I bought before my last hunt and used. The 375 Ruger possibly is just as good or better for the most part. I never said anything bad about the .375 Ruger. I don't own one. I'm going to the same place as before, not Kodiak, about 120 mi. north of Dillingham.

Hello Marine, I have nothing against you. I was just trying to demonstrate than all of us were acting like teenagers... Maybe my 3rd degree was too much...

anyway... to be honest before the 375 Ruger was designed, I was looking at the 375 Why like the best/optimum 375. Hopefully for you you're not a fan of the 378 Why cause I would have dig you in a hole.... Your 1st bear is a great bear.... it's what I think... so relax....UNIT 17/19 drainage. Wish you a safe and a very good hunt. post pictures.

Last edited by UAE; 06/21/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UAE
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by UAE

Hello Marine, I have nothing against you. I was just trying to demonstrate than all of us were acting like teenagers... Maybe my 3rd degree was too much...

anyway... to be honest before the 375 Ruger was designed, I was looking at the 375 Why like the best/optimum 375. Hopefully for you you're not a fan of the 378 Why cause I would have dig you in a hole.... Your 1st bear is a great bear.... it's what I think... so relax....UNIT 17/19 drainage. Wish you a safe and a very good hunt. post pictures.

Thanks UAE. I haven't shot a .378 Wby, though I have nothing against it, and it's just a bit faster than my .375, as the .375 Wby is a little faster than the H&H. It's all good. I got pretty lucky last time, as the weather got strangely warm for the last eight days of my 10-day hunt after my lucky kill. The animals were all mostly sleeping it off after that during the daytime. Hopefully, I will see a good bear or moose this time, but life is what it is, and I will enjoy just the chance to hunt in such a remote environment for such great game. That's what makes it so great: the possibility of failure. The last time, when I was flying out of the Dillingham airport, I was one of two hunters out of about 40, who had gotten a bear during that season. I had dreamed of hunting brown bear since I was a small child. I realized then, more than ever, how lucky I was. I am slightly more interested in moose this time, but I mostly want to have the chance to hunt in AK, which isn't easy for me. I got to see the Northern Lights while drinking bourbon and smoking a cigar at a driftwood campfire just a few yards from my bear pelt last time. I am looking forward to whatever happens this time.

I wish you and all on here happy hunting as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike

When finding oneself at the bottom of a hole it is usually a good idea to stop digging.

You have admitted to no experience, no likelihood of ever going brown bear hunting, and no real desire to go. Yet you want to go after someone that obviously makes a living doing it.

I would guess the guide he works for caters to Teutonic hunters and his bilingual skills are much appreciated there.

I'm watching this Brown Bear hunting show on the History channel right now. I'm not sure if I should be watching this since I have no Brown Bear hunting experience and have shown no inclination that I want to go. Sitka deer, Is it alright if I watch this? smirk

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

...says the guy who doesn't even know how to steer a moose!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UAE
[Linked Image]

Looks like they're all wearing sleeves, so, I'd have to say, no.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wow what a thread! I couldn't stop reading! smile

Why are some folks infatuated with the smallest tool available to do a job? Why even concern ourselves with "minimums"? I mean who cares?

We have among us,collectively, over 100 years experience with center fire cartridges and bullets to draw on today;more choices than ever before (many overlapping in performance so that it would take a swami to distinguish them)and so many far better bullets, that making a choice to kill a brown bear or anything else should be easy.

I remember when Skane was going on his first brown bear hunt...we talked and I am sure he talked to others as well. He had a 35 Whelen...I thought that was fine and told him as much,because people had been killing brown bear with 35 Whelens for decades(along with smaller and larger cartridges). A reasonable middle ground seemed like a good place to be.

He asked about bullets and we talked about 225 Northforks,so that's what he used.As I recall his bear went absolutely no where,because he used a reasonable cartridge,a very good bullet,and because he knows how to shoot.

Concerning ourselves with minimums is just a waste of grey matter with so many good choices available today....JMHO.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 25 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.