Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My current meat smoker is propane and extremely difficult to regulate the temperature since it is also insulated.

I am looking at either a electric Masterbuilt or Bradley.

Thoughts?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an electric single walled masterbuilt. Has a 1500 watt element. I can't always cook with it on the cold days of winter, but you can still use it to smoke and finish cooking in the oven. A load of chips lasts 2-3 hours. Filling the smoke box sucks, but it's manageable.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
My current meat smoker is propane and extremely difficult to regulate the temperature

Have you tried installing a propane inline needle valve ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Electricity and propane fuel cars and cities. Wood and hardwood lump charcoal fuel smokers. Even pellet smokers are better than electric or propane and they are very easy to regulate. Only problem with the pellets is it's tough to get much smoke into the meat.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The gas jobs with chunks of preferred hardwoods turn out some mighty fine eats. A pard of mine has a MB gasser that turns out ribs to die for.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
My current meat smoker is propane and extremely difficult to regulate the temperature

No, but I think I am on a dead end with the smoker due to the uninsulated walls. After owning it for about 10 years am frustrated because I cant seem to smoke anything at low temps and wild temperature swings. It seems like time to upgrade and electric seems like a good choice because where we live in Colorado is almost constant wind and I find myself always having to relight the burner. Grrrrrrrr

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Seems to me, you almost need one for winter and one for summer. In the winter, you have trouble keeping the temps up, at least if you want to cook in it. In the summer, you don't get as much smoke. You need to insulate it in the winter and leave it uninsulated in the summer or you need a separate burner under the smoke box so that you can shut off the other side of it when it's warm out so that you get enough smoke. I've only run mine and the big chief that my parents have, but I'd expect that from anything that doesn't have an external smoke box.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Electric works fine for me I have a master built 40

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Also plan on buying an external smoke box so I can cold smoke for hours.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I do have an a-maze pellet smoke tray for my electric smoker

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

I have the 5x8 tray for the smoker and the 12" tube for the grill.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 07/03/14.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Electricity and propane fuel cars and cities. Wood and hardwood lump charcoal fuel smokers.
Mike

Pure folly and hokum. Disregard such nonsense. Mine and the other propane smokers use wood chunks that we convert into hardwood lump coals that produce the same smoke with propane as the ignition source. Large chunks of wood smoking meats are the same regardless of the ignition source. I use large chunks of apple and hickory and maple and pecan. The wood is consumed and converted into smoke and heat and along with the propane does nothing different than a smoker using the same woods started with a propane torch or lighter fluid or whatever ignition source they choose to get the hardwood chunk coals to smoke.

Some here over think what is a very old method of cooking that is not rocket science. 200F is 200F and apple wood smoke is apple wood smoke regardless of how it was ignited. grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For me it's how cooking low and slow gives all the cartilidge time to dissolve. The taste is completely different.

I put ribs in at 275 with good hickory smoke for 3 hours, them finish them for another 4-5 hours in the stove Ito the point the bones are just starting to crack the meat. Of course I have a few other tricks I'm not sharing, if you live in Kansas City long enough you end up with a few BBQ competitor friends....all good.

on the why not go wood - I like doing a brisket every once and a while, but to get the internal temp up to 190 or so degrees without boiling all the water out you have to keep the temp under 212, With a wood smoker that means you sacrifice a goo half day of your life. That is unless you have a high dollar smoker with thick steel walls and great insulation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

No, but I think I am on a dead end with the smoker due to the uninsulated walls. After owning it for about 10 years am frustrated because I cant seem to smoke anything at low temps and wild temperature swings. It seems like time to upgrade and electric seems like a good choice because where we live in Colorado is almost constant wind and I find myself always having to relight the burner. Grrrrrrrr

Riged foam insulation board and throw a blanket over the whole works. Try a good inline needle valve as well.

Worth a try and cheaper than another smoker. JMHO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also plan on buying an external smoke box so I can cold smoke for hours.

I use a homemade external smoke generator with an insulated propane smoker, works for me.[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Go to this site. There's a ton of folks over there that have fixed your problem.

Join & ask.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129949/my-masterbuilt-gasser-mods

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Bradley smoke generator in my smoker and it works great. The walls on my smoker aren't insulated and it works great for smoking meat, fish and poultry. Check out the Bradley forums for info on the Bradley units and smoking meats.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here are outstanding instruction on how to build a hot and cold smoker. :grin;

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8839810/1

Last edited by DIYguy; 07/04/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My current meat smoker is propane and extremely difficult to regulate the temperature since it is also insulated.

I am looking at either a electric Masterbuilt or Bradley.

Thoughts?

Charcoal and hardwood.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I took the easy way out and bought a Masterbuilt 40 inch model with a glass door. Wal-Mart has them on sale so will give it a go. Nice thing about Wal-Mart is they will take anything back as long as you have the receipt if you don't like it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I do have an a-maze pellet smoke tray for my electric smoker

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

I have the 5x8 tray for the smoker and the 12" tube for the grill.

How do you like using this with your Masterbuilt 40? Do you just fill it with pellets, light it, and set it inside your smoker? Is it used mostly for cold smoking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.