-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough crowd here, but with almost 2300 posts you should be used to that by now.
Nothing in the world will keep you from using any cartridge your heart desires for what you have in mind. The 30-06 or 7Mag will definitely work fine as well as a number of other cartridges. As long as you know your ballistics and have the skill and equipment to use them you can reach out there. That equipment being a good, accurate rifle, good scope with easily understandable adjustments, and good, accurate ammo for YOUR rifle. I would also throw in here that learning to use a good bipod for when the pack, stump, truck hood, stand isn't available- will give you many more options. Once you've used a bipod for a while I'm betting you will never go afield without one. I know I don't any more.

Two ways to go and you would be about even money either way. You can try to buy a factory Remington 700 and see if it shoots up to the required accuracy level you would need. I would think .5 MOA would be sufficient for 700 yards, given your sighting won't probably be rock steady like a bench rest might be so a little allowance must be made. If the factory 700 won't do the deed but is close, you can always put on a better stock, bed, play with trigger adjustment, and a few other tricks.

If it isn't close, your next choice is obviously to buy a 700 action and have it barreled to what ever you wish, place it in a McMillan stock or equal, and find ammo it likes. No guarantee this will shoot any better, but the odds are good it will meet the required accuracy standard.

By time you've done all that, you could probably buy yourself a Cooper or equal rifle known for their accuracy, put a great scope on it, and start looking for good ammo.

The fly in the ointment in any of these scenarios is that you will need to find ammo it likes, probably premium ammo at $40-$70 a box these days, and work up your ballistic chart until you find what it does in your rifle- including running it over a chrono so you have accurate drop tables.

Study Stick's/Boxer's MOA adjustment advice for adjusting your chosen scope or buy a Mil/Mil scope and learn how to use it and you'll be in hog heaven. By time you're ready, the ammo will cost approximately what the rifle cost up front, but that is part of the trade off of not wanting to reload I guess. Unless you have a buddy who might want to do some reloading for you? Might be worth some horse trading to find someone to help you out with that end.

Of course, my recommendation of the Remington 700 is based on your mention of this rifle. I have several and they all meet my expectations for accuracy, but some have taken some work to get there. I also have Winchester 70's- Pre 64 and newer Classics that also meet this requirement, so choice of rifle isn't carved in stone for me. Pick one you like and see if it does what you want. If it doesn't, send it down the road and start over. There is no guarantee you'll find what you want with the first try even with a well built custom, IMHO.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Ask questions then get attitude. Figures.

Ask Questions then read answers pertainting to what was not asked .
Figures

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Tough crowd here, but with almost 2300 posts you should be used to that by now.
Nothing in the world will keep you from using any cartridge your heart desires for what you have in mind. The 30-06 or 7Mag will definitely work fine as well as a number of other cartridges. As long as you know your ballistics and have the skill and equipment to use them you can reach out there. That equipment being a good, accurate rifle, good scope with easily understandable adjustments, and good, accurate ammo for YOUR rifle. I would also throw in here that learning to use a good bipod for when the pack, stump, truck hood, stand isn't available- will give you many more options. Once you've used a bipod for a while I'm betting you will never go afield without one. I know I don't any more.

Two ways to go and you would be about even money either way. You can try to buy a factory Remington 700 and see if it shoots up to the required accuracy level you would need. I would think .5 MOA would be sufficient for 700 yards, given your sighting won't probably be rock steady like a bench rest might be so a little allowance must be made. If the factory 700 won't do the deed but is close, you can always put on a better stock, bed, play with trigger adjustment, and a few other tricks.

If it isn't close, your next choice is obviously to buy a 700 action and have it barreled to what ever you wish, place it in a McMillan stock or equal, and find ammo it likes. No guarantee this will shoot any better, but the odds are good it will meet the required accuracy standard.

By time you've done all that, you could probably buy yourself a Cooper or equal rifle known for their accuracy, put a great scope on it, and start looking for good ammo.

The fly in the ointment in any of these scenarios is that you will need to find ammo it likes, probably premium ammo at $40-$70 a box these days, and work up your ballistic chart until you find what it does in your rifle- including running it over a chrono so you have accurate drop tables.

Study Stick's/Boxer's MOA adjustment advice for adjusting your chosen scope or buy a Mil/Mil scope and learn how to use it and you'll be in hog heaven. By time you're ready, the ammo will cost approximately what the rifle cost up front, but that is part of the trade off of not wanting to reload I guess. Unless you have a buddy who might want to do some reloading for you? Might be worth some horse trading to find someone to help you out with that end.

Of course, my recommendation of the Remington 700 is based on your mention of this rifle. I have several and they all meet my expectations for accuracy, but some have taken some work to get there. I also have Winchester 70's- Pre 64 and newer Classics that also meet this requirement, so choice of rifle isn't carved in stone for me. Pick one you like and see if it does what you want. If it doesn't, send it down the road and start over. There is no guarantee you'll find what you want with the first try even with a well built custom, IMHO.

Bob

Thank you
Craig

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thank you

Craig

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you misunderstood me.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh,and how is that?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by bcraig
Might go 308

you said it, we just agreeing and trying to save you some time/money.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Given they are priced so cheap go for it.

You'll still need a new trigger, but you get a half decent stock.

See how it shoots, and when you can't shoot better than it does move on.
But remember factory rigs are picky so reloading can help you have a better performing rig.

You didn't mention what distance you consider long range?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Given they are priced so cheap go for it.

You'll still need a new trigger, but you get a half decent stock.

See how it shoots, and when you can't shoot better than it does move on.
But remember factory rigs are picky so reloading can help you have a better performing rig.

You didn't mention what distance you consider long range?

Second sentence of post for the range.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Where is Stick when you need him?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and Horn 140gr AM load

or

Rem 700 SPS SS in .243 or 7RM shooting Black Hills loads

or

Ruger American Predator in .308 shooting any one of several match loads that are suitable for LR.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boolits ALWAYS matter more than headstamps and few things mean less than contour,as per your desires.

Firstly...keep the horse in front of the cart. If you lost a bet big enough,that you have to slum Factory Fodder,simply peruse the bet(s) you've lost and weigh 'em in extrapolation. Physics ain't nothing new and good BC's at good speeds,reliably do great things. Pick the best boolit,at the best speed for a given chambering and KNOW well in advance,how it'll behave.

Then simply opt a well balance/good handling rifle,that's of the requisite twist rate to connect them dots. Hardly anything approaching Rocket Science is requisite,to arrange what little you Imagine.

[bleep] bipods and 700yds is a long ways from being "far". It's not like you are actually going to shoot the [bleep] thing,but the charade is humorous.

This schit cracks me up!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

OP

Given your current attitude about practice and shooting, I'd definitely go with the 30/06, but in the Remington autoloader with a good 3X9 scope on it- It's about the ideal flock shooting rifle, as they make 20 and 15 round magazines for it.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
That great ,
Now back to my original question Would you try one of the Remington long range rifles or would you just get a cheap 700 and rebarrel?That is if it didn,t shoot good enough with the factory barrel.

700 yards is a long distance for me on deer as I have never shot at a deer at over 440 yards. I always tried to get closer or pass the shot.

Now I want to start shooting farther and trying to figure out a good platform for it.

Youre right about some things but wrong about one thing for sure ,Yes I am going to shoot and practice with the [bleep] thing as you call it.

Just trying to figure out which [bleep] thing I want to shoot that will give me the best terminal performance given the same bullet placement.And give the best accuracy.

Stay cracked up if you want , but what would you choose under the same circumstances ?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Royce

OP

Given your current attitude about practice and shooting, I'd definitely go with the 30/06, but in the Remington autoloader with a good 3X9 scope on it- It's about the ideal flock shooting rifle, as they make 20 and 15 round magazines for it.

And what attitude about practice and shooting do you comment on?

Nobody said anything about flock shooting, Dumbass.
Or even indicated in any form or fashion,Dumbass
Why dont you go elswhere and stir [bleep].
You clearly have nothing to add to the thread .

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Arrogance brings out the sarcasm in me- Also, when someone talks about shooting deer at 700 yards just because they bought a "long range rifle" brings out more sarcasm.
Any (bleep) that I stirred needed to be stirred.

And if this thread puckered up and died, and you didn't buy a rifle and try to shoot deer at 700 yards, it would be a good thing.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Royce
Arrogance brings out the sarcasm in me- Also, when someone talks about shooting deer at 700 yards just because they bought a "long range rifle" brings out more sarcasm.
Any (bleep) that I stirred needed to be stirred.

The arrogance here comes from people who insist on answering questions that were not asked .
And people like you that dont have enough comprehension to read what is written. I did not talk about shooting deer at 700 yards just because I bought a long range rifle.
Only your lack of reading and comprehension skills (lack of)have brought you to this conclusion.

And if this thread puckered up and died, and you didn't buy a rifle and try to shoot deer at 700 yards, it would be a good thing.

Tis thread can in fact pucker up and die (as far as you are concerned at least.

Just click on another thread instead of this one.

Then you wont have to read into a thread something thats not there .

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bcraig
That great ,
Now back to my original question Would you try one of the Remington long range rifles or would you just get a cheap 700 and rebarrel?That is if it didn,t shoot good enough with the factory barrel.

700 yards is a long distance for me on deer as I have never shot at a deer at over 440 yards. I always tried to get closer or pass the shot.

Now I want to start shooting farther and trying to figure out a good platform for it.

Youre right about some things but wrong about one thing for sure ,Yes I am going to shoot and practice with the [bleep] thing as you call it.

Just trying to figure out which [bleep] thing I want to shoot that will give me the best terminal performance given the same bullet placement.And give the best accuracy.

Stay cracked up if you want , but what would you choose under the same circumstances ?

Funny schit! Now after "all" that shooting and "experience" after 40yrs of incredibly slooooooowwwwww "learning",you are now going to suddenly attain a first [bleep] clue?!? Ain't happening and you've the cart soooooooo [bleep] far in front of the Pony,that it CAIN'T happen. Hint.

You'd do well to simply shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same,then thank me later. Re-Hint.

What I would do is moot,because you are powerless in the refrain of making bad decisions,so are incapable of anything bordering a smart move. You're hung up on a [bleep] barrel contour and that is some seriously funny schit!

Think boolits,boolits and boolits...roughly in that order. It's all about connecting the most dots and you can't even get 2 of 'em connected. What are the '06 and 7Remmie Factory Loads,which so enthrall you? Yes,I realize you are clueless in that regard and don't think that ain't funny too!

What are you shooting now? What is the 440yd machine? What glass are you using? Which LRF do you drive? How did 700yds become a "magical" number?

You are wrapped up around the schit that matters least,while skirting that which matters most and it is indeed funny to be privvy to that sorta bumbling dumbfhuqqtitude. Kudos for frosting it copiously with oblivious hilarity,because I've zero doubt,you are doing your best. Read that again.

To reliably arrange POA/POI intersections is a breeze,if one wishes it to be...you are striving admirably to make easy schit difficult and are at your own mercy,because you THINK you've got a [bleep] clue to build offa. Sweetie you do not,nor close and are assuring same,by poking your head in the sand and standing your ground. Stupid ain't ever smart and you are done before you start. Hint.

Relax,shut the [bleep] up,pay a little attention and shake your head back and forth quickly,in an attempt to erase that which you THINK you "know".

Shout when your mind is right,because until then,you are pissing up ropes.

Revisit the Factory Fodder selections your "experience","knowledge" and "results" have enabled you to swoon and pick your version of something "good"...then we'll kick that around and pinpoint your dumbfhuqqtitude even further in extrapolation.

Start At The [bleep] Stat and boolits is ALWAYS the start.

Hint.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.