Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wouldn't begrudge a person for shooting an animal and hitting it in the ass, weather it be a bad shot, flinch, wind, or the animal simply moved... However to purposely aim for that location and take that shot is asking for a wounded animal more often than not.

Schit happens when hunting and nearly everyone is guilty of making a shot that we are not proud of, and that is one thing. Being a braggart about a bad shot and defending it as skill is quite another.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why we would be better off without bowhunting..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it jumped at the shot and got hit there by accident, then yes it was lucky. No way I'd try it on purpose, and no way I'd post a photo of it, either frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not the shot i would like but i won't b!tch about it.

Sometimes things don't work out as planed.
my B-in-law tried to shoot a deer in the neck,his Savage was a tad low and shot about an inch to the left.

Had 2 holes in back and he finished it off with a 22.

It happens.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you cannot hit the animal in the vitals, or head, neck, anchoring shot, just don't take the shot.

Too much room for error.

I would hope that hunters would respect their quarry enough to not impose that margin of error on an animal .

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If it jumped at the shot and got hit there by accident, then yes it was lucky. No way I'd try it on purpose, and no way I'd post a photo of it, either frown

This.

I am an avid bowhunter and I've had this happen to me one time. I was on the ground eye level with a doe at 10 yards. She was trying to figure out what I was. When I got a chance I drew and released. She wheeled at the movement and I got her ham. I was SICK to my stomach as she ran off.

I did the walk of shame back to my truck to wait for an hour before I went to look for her. To my surprise the blood trail was like following a glow in the dark golf cart path. She went 50 yards and bled out.

I couldn't even feel good about harvesting that deer because of the shot I made. For anyone (much less a "professional guide") to defend it as ethical and a good shot to take is abysmal! To do it on social media is just plain reckless

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reminds me of the guy who told me once that he "just missed the lungs and hit it in the neck."

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BWalker

Really? I see just as many botched shots on game with rifles and shotguns!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BWalker

Come on now.

I hunt with gun and bow but how many wounded deer do you think gun hunters leave to suffer every year? Many take pots shots at long ranges or on running deer and just because the deer didn't DRT, they think they didn't hit it or their too F'n lazy to go look for blood.

I'm willing to bet we all know someone who does this kind of "ethical" hunting. I have followed up on a few deer that someone said they "missed" and guess what, there was a blood trail with a dead or wounded deer at the end of it.

Furthermore, we are all hunters. We shouldn't be bashing the method as long as it's legal and fuel the anti's fire anymore. The libs do that enough for us.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Bad shot and they don't want to admit it. miles

Yep!

Things arent always going to be perfect. Your scope got knocked-off, without you knowing it, or the arrow hit a limb you didnt see, but there is no excuse, IMO, for purposely taking a bad shot. Man up and admit the deer beat you this time, but there is always next time.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made a shot like that on a Bull once, been trying to forgive myself every since. That shot caused seven hours of tracking to finish him off. That memory has cost me several Elk since then because I won't take a shot I'm not 100% positive of.
I sure as hell would never post such a picture.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you've hunted enough, you've had it happen. But as someone already stated, no need to post it as an accomplishment�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Reminds me of the guy who told me once that he "just missed the lungs and hit it in the neck."

Steve.

Not even close to the same but thanks for the reply

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't say it was the same. I said it reminded me. We have all kinds of excuses for bad shots. They're not all the same.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wyoming hunters have long referred to that as a Colorado head shot. grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I respect a man who can admit his mistakes.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There's a world of difference between an ethical shot and a shot that went wrong. If the shooter is purposefully shooting at the ham for a kill shot, well, that doesn't cut it in my book. Poor or no ethics to be sure.

However, if an animal moves or the shooter accidentally moves, then maybe it's bad judgement at the worst and certainly nothing to brag about.

I teach hunter safety to kids. We put up shoot - no shoot scenarios on the screen. Some deal with safety, some with ethics. When we ask them shoot or don't shoot, they usually get them all right. Maybe that ass shooter dude needs to learn something from the kids.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Also dont like it.

Hardly a high percentage shot to make a clean kill, and also a poor picture to celebrate the sport and accomplishment.

At least he recovered the animal. Small victories.

Last edited by WillARights; 07/09/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It only works when using an UBER bow.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
first buck I shot with an arrow "jumped the string" and the arrow hit him in the ham as he was quartering away, the broad head sliced open the ham to the bone then went through the paunch and one lung. turned into a over night hunt until I got my dog and he found the deer.
never will I take an iffy shot like that again.
shooting for the ham on purpose just isn't right and nobody will convince me otherwise.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 19 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,669
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.