Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9019591 07/13/14
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Okay guys, I'm looking at getting back into bowhunting (after a 12 year absence) and before I go and drop a ton of dough on a new bow I'm thinking used may be my route to get my feel again. I've got a good friend that runs the gun/bow section of a pawn shop that has an inventory that puts many of our LGS to shame. I trust him and he knows his stuff without being a know it all. They have a Matthews Outback with fiber optic sight, whisker biscuit, & quiver for $329. I'm sure the bow itself was $6-700 new so is the price typical for used bows or should one of these command more? Possible it's been mistreated? It looks to be in great shape. What signs should I look for before I take the plunge? Thanks for any help.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by philgood80
I trust him and he knows his stuff without being a know it all. I'm sure the bow itself was $6-700 new so is the price typical for used bows or should one of these command more? Possible it's been mistreated? It looks to be in great shape. What signs should I look for before I take the plunge? Thanks for any help.

Do you trust him????? Is he that knowledgeable?????

Seems if that were all true you wouldn't be asking here.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I do trust him but haven't had the chance to speak to him yet. He was out yesterday. I was just curious about the values of these bows on the used market. Thanks so much for the help.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is hard for anyone to give an accurate value without seeing the bow.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In my area a used bow is at best going to get 60% of retail. Of course there are exceptions and condition is a major factor as well.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 07/13/14.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I appreciate your two most recent posts. I haven't looked seriously at bows in more than a decade and had no clue about used bow values. I was curious about how bows held value compared to guns. Also I mentioned my confidence in the owner because if something is not up to snuff he won't price it comparatively with similar items of higher condition. With its lower price than I first expected I wondered if these bows usually went for more used and if the price would usually indicate a red flag and to keep away or if this was the norm. Since he wasn't in the shop yesterday I hoped some of you guys that have bought bows in the past couple of years could shed some light, especially if someone had sold one or bought used. Thanks again.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Compared to guns I would say bows suck as far as retaining value goes. The used bow market is a gem for guys looking to save some money and buy a year or two old bow.

If I were you I would tap out both sides of each limb to insure the limbs are not delaminated.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Okay, splain yourself, what do you mean tap out both sides of the limbs? And thanks for the help on used bows.

Last edited by philgood80; 07/13/14.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Take a quarter and tap on the faces of the limbs if you hear a dead sound means the limb has a delamination. If you can get the bow in a press even better to tap it out with the limbs relaxed.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Gotcha. Correct me if I'm wrong, but delaminating can occur from dry firing or continuous firing with too light arrows?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
correct

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tips. Maybe this fall I will get in some bow hunting. It'll be fun to get back into it. Thanks again!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No worries and good luck. Just a little suggestion. If I were you I would go shoot as many bows as I could to see what feels best to you. Then look for that bow for sale in your draw length.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I will probably do that. There is so much new stuff available that wasn't even a consideration when I first started. Luckily there is a good pro shop about 5 min down the road and I'm pretty sure they have an indoor range and sampler bows. Thanks!!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Compared to guns I would say bows suck as far as retaining value goes. The used bow market is a gem for guys looking to save some money and buy a year or two old bow.

If I were you I would tap out both sides of each limb to insure the limbs are not delaminated.

The new tech is much different than what you were probably used to, I was out for over ten years as well.

Easiest tell on an older Mathews is the area around the grip. Bows with high usage tend to show white through the camo finish. It's usally on the high edges of the metal around the grp, and spreads as the grip area wears. High use bows will be almost white.

Also, keep in mind that the Outback has been ot of production for at least seven years (2004-07 production) by Mathews. So, you are probably going to have to hunt the ued parts market if you have an issue. Not saying you have to buy new, but I'd buy "newer". The bow is probably valued at $150-200, the WB is about $30, the quiver is about $30-50, so it needs to be a damn good sight to make the $350 mark. JMHO

I don't know if you have tried the bow for draw length, but if it doesn't fit, it's going to be a search for a new cam in the correct draw, these models change the whole lower unit instead of a simple module.

The other limb killer is heat, leaving bows in the case in the truck in the summer will cause limb de-lam issues as well. Watch out for a used bow that has been stored in the truck instead of the house. Watch out for Bubba and his rolling archery supply store...

Creek is right, used-bow value dives after one year, and I'd argue 50% of value at best if it's over two years old, and 20-25% at the five year mark.

OBTW, you going to need arrows for the bow, don't trust any hand-me-downs with the bow, which will add another $120-150 on top of the bow for a dozen good quality properly spined arrows.

I'm not bashing your buddy, I've had friends with shops that took care of me as well, but at the end of the day, they are in business to make money. I personally think for the $500 minumum you are going to invest to get the package right, you could do better with newer bows for similiar or close-to the price point.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/14/14.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks AH. Especially for the tips regarding the whitening near the grip. Makes sense. I was hesitant to pull the trigger without drawing or shooting. Agree on the heat issues and arrow point as well. After posting I did some research on the interweb and saw its years of production. I would like to get one of the newer production bear bows with the RTH kits maybe a year or two old and possibly a year end close out. Thanks again!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll play devil's advocate and say, if that bow fits, buy it. Like AH said though, if it doesn't you'll be chasing down used cams on Archery Talk, so that makes it much less of a deal. I'd also add that odds are, if it has 60-70# limbs, and you are not retard strong, you'd be better off with lighter limbs. Most folks are "over-bowed".

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Take a look at huntersfriend.com and their ready to hunt packages. I have bought several from them and they were great to deal with

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like that website pacecars. Tons of information. Thanks!! And the package prices aren't bad either.

Last edited by philgood80; 07/14/14.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go to Ebay they have a chit load of Bows for Auction , New and Used

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.