Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So I haven't been on the site in a long time. Going back about 5 years, I had bought an Interarms Mauser in .243 as a base for a 9.3x62 build.

After many years of the project getting off the ground, I decided to sell the Mark X and scrap the idea.

Things have a funny way of working themselves out though. I had posted the Mark X for sale on a local forum and had a buyer before the end of the day. Later that week, I stopped by a friends shop. He and I had plans of building up a couple 9.3's together. So we chatted a bit and I told him I was selling my .243. He says to me "Oh, I should have told you, there a gun shop just past your house and he has a 9.3x62 for $450. I don't know why I didn't think to tell you!"

So, next day I go by the shop and ask the owner if he has a Mauser for sale. He says, Uh, no. I says You don't have a 9.3x62? He says, well, I do have this CZ a guy sold me. It's in some weird caliber. It might be 9.3. So I follow him to the gun rack and he picks up a CA 550 American in 9.3. We chatted a bit about the gun and the caliber. He said a guy sold it to him with some ammo. The guy was gonna go on a hunt that never came about (much like my 9.3 build). So the tag has a 450 on it, so I ask him if he'd do $450 out the door. He says "Uh. No, that's about what I have in it. What's the price on it. Turns out 450 was a stock number, but it's priced $675. He says I'll do $650 out the doors and I'll throw in all the ammo. I say fine. He gets the ammo, and I'm figuring a couple boxes of Privi or such. Turns out it's a box of Nosler Custom 286gr Partitions, a box of Norma 232gr Vulkan and two boxes of Superior Ammo made up of 10 each 286gr Woodleigh SP's, 286gr Barnes TSX, 250gr Woodleighs, and 250gr Barnes TSX.

I knew that made the price of the gun worthwhile. I figured at least $30/box.

So I out money down on the package.

I priced the ammo online yesterday, and it's nearly $300 retail. So <$400 for a like new 550 in 9.3.

Made my week. Can't wait for squirrel season. Ya'll suppose those 286 gr Woodleigh will stop a gray squirrel?

Last edited by solgardener; 07/14/14.
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
There is a possibility that they may over penetrate. A bit. Depending on the angle of course.

Nice score.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Sounds like a heck of a deal to me! You will like that gun and caliber. Mine, although housed in a different gun, is very accurate and not the least bit fussy about what you feed it.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Makes ya happy to hear good news -- enjoy!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What a steal! Excellent!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GREAT snag there! I have had several MAuser rifles that I had 9.3 plans for. Like you,mine kept going to the bottom of the projects to do barrel.

Then, I became the proud owner of a CZ so chambered. Great gun in every way. I am happy for a few days, then start asking myself "On what am I going to use this, that my 340 Wildcat or my 416 Rigby is not going to be a better choice (I know, I know, turn in my rifle looney card) but during the dark days wherin I owned this, have a bunch of money tided up in something that I really dod not NEED was not somethiing I could allow myself.

So now, I find myself on the hunt for a Sabbatti SxS in 9.2x74. THAT 9.3 will be different enough to be worthwhile keeping. A decent powerful SxS rifle being a LONG standing itch for me.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by solgardener
So I haven't been on the site in a long time. Going back about 5 years, I had bought an Interarms Mauser in .243 as a base for a 9.3x62 build.

After many years of the project getting off the ground, I decided to sell the Mark X and scrap the idea.

Things have a funny way of working themselves out though. I had posted the Mark X for sale on a local forum and had a buyer before the end of the day. Later that week, I stopped by a friends shop. He and I had plans of building up a couple 9.3's together. So we chatted a bit and I told him I was selling my .243. He says to me "Oh, I should have told you, there a gun shop just past your house and he has a 9.3x62 for $450. I don't know why I didn't think to tell you!"

So, next day I go by the shop and ask the owner if he has a Mauser for sale. He says, Uh, no. I says You don't have a 9.3x62? He says, well, I do have this CZ a guy sold me. It's in some weird caliber. It might be 9.3. So I follow him to the gun rack and he picks up a CA 550 American in 9.3. We chatted a bit about the gun and the caliber. He said a guy sold it to him with some ammo. The guy was gonna go on a hunt that never came about (much like my 9.3 build). So the tag has a 450 on it, so I ask him if he'd do $450 out the door. He says "Uh. No, that's about what I have in it. What's the price on it. Turns out 450 was a stock number, but it's priced $675. He says I'll do $650 out the doors and I'll throw in all the ammo. I say fine. He gets the ammo, and I'm figuring a couple boxes of Privi or such. Turns out it's a box of Nosler Custom 286gr Partitions, a box of Norma 232gr Vulkan and two boxes of Superior Ammo made up of 10 each 286gr Woodleigh SP's, 286gr Barnes TSX, 250gr Woodleighs, and 250gr Barnes TSX.

I knew that made the price of the gun worthwhile. I figured at least $30/box.

So I out money down on the package.

I priced the ammo online yesterday, and it's nearly $300 retail. So <$400 for a like new 550 in 9.3.

Made my week. Can't wait for squirrel season. Ya'll suppose those 286 gr Woodleigh will stop a gray squirrel?

Sounds like you bent that guy over the counter to me... Pics of the rifle would be nice too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
No pics just yet, but I took it shooting this weekend (sans scope) to see what the recoil was like. It shoots like a dream. The recoil is about equal to the Remington 600 in .308 that my son shoots. It's hard to believe that a rifle capable of dropping a grizzly could shoot so mildly. I'll get a scope on it and post some pics.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
9.3x62 is a great round and a gun of the CZ's weight is a pleasant shooter. And, this round is generally very accurate with most loads.

Check on this site for JB's pet 9.3x62 loads. They work.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No pics just yet, but I took it shooting this weekend (sans scope) to see what the recoil was like. It shoots like a dream. The recoil is about equal to the Remington 600 in .308 that my son shoots. It's hard to believe that a rifle capable of dropping a grizzly could shoot so mildly. I'll get a scope on it and post some pics.

Grizzly? THAT is all you think it good for? Hail FAR boy! That there round has probably dropped more of the African big five than any oth er THREE cartridges you would care to name. Possible, and I do mean possible exception being the 375 H&H, but it is waaaaayyyyy up there.

A 9.3x62 is, to a Dutch, Brit, German or other European descent family in Africa, what a 30/06 is to us, or the 303 to the Canucks. Legal and lethal on all game up to and including Elephant in a couple of countries.

You have a very fine and truly one to do it all rifle there. Not to worry, though, we won't tell your wife..... wink cool

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My interest in the 9.3 goes back at least five years, so I have an idea of it's usefulness. It's unlikely that I will ever hunt in Africa, but the big game in North America are not out of the realm of possibility. I wanted a 9.3 more because I "just did" than for any actual need. I will hunt whitetail with it this year. I'm thinking I'll stick with a Norma 232 Vulkan for them, over the 286gr bullets. The only detractor I've noticed is the lack of lighter bullets for less big game. Maybe they're out there but I haven't found them. A friend just bought a CNC turning center and is planning to turn some solid copper bullets for his 338 Lapua. I'm considering working on a solid around 200-225 grain for the 9.3 if we can keep the dimensions right. I'm a long range shooter, so it's hard to not want to do the same with the 9.3. I see that with 250gr Accubonds, the rounds is still supersonic at 1,200 yards (and has the energy at 800 yds that a 5.56 does at the muzzle). I know that's not the typical application of the bullet, but if it'll do it, I'll try it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any particular reason you want to use a lighter bullet for smaller big game? In my experience, on quite a few animals, the 250+ grain 9.3 bullets work just fine on deer-sized game, putting them down very quickly without much meat loss. This includes both the 250 AccuBond and 286 Partition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Really, just based on energy deposit from the heavy, rapidly expanding bullets. If you vouch for the 250-286gr for whitetail, I'm good with that. I have some of each, so once I scope the rifle, I'll check out the POA/POI of each bullet. I'd guess that within 200 yards, drop would differ very little between a 232 Norma and a 286 Woodleigh, at least as far as a deer is concerned.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 9.3 CZ AHR is a tack driver with 250 NAB's and your load. The 286 NPT is almost as accurate.

I was concerned about narrow wound channels thru a WT with those big bullets, not DRT like with smaller, faster expanding bullets.

Appreciate your observations and may try my 9.3 on WT's this Fall. Would those big slugs perform better with shoulder shots, or should I go with my usual heart/lung shot?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I shoot 'em wherever looks like the closest path to the the top-of-heart-lung area, and they drop pretty quickly. Sometimes it's shoulder, sometimes it's lungs.

Both the Partition and BT have very soft front ends, and even though they typically retain 75-85% of their weight, even 15% of 250 grains is 37.5 grains of shrapnel. Due to the moderate velocity, however, they don't shoot up much meat, especially the 286.

The farthest I can recall a deer (or other deer-sized animal) going after being shot with either bullet is around 25 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I can handle 25 yds.

Thanks,

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My interest in the 9.3 goes back at least five years, so I have an idea of it's usefulness. It's unlikely that I will ever hunt in Africa, but the big game in North America are not out of the realm of possibility. I wanted a 9.3 more because I "just did" than for any actual need. I will hunt whitetail with it this year. I'm thinking I'll stick with a Norma 232 Vulkan for them, over the 286gr bullets. The only detractor I've noticed is the lack of lighter bullets for less big game. Maybe they're out there but I haven't found them. A friend just bought a CNC turning center and is planning to turn some solid copper bullets for his 338 Lapua. I'm considering working on a solid around 200-225 grain for the 9.3 if we can keep the dimensions right. I'm a long range shooter, so it's hard to not want to do the same with the 9.3. I see that with 250gr Accubonds, the rounds is still supersonic at 1,200 yards (and has the energy at 800 yds that a 5.56 does at the muzzle). I know that's not the typical application of the bullet, but if it'll do it, I'll try it.

I was just ribbing you a bit, was pretty sure that you - like most folks here- know of Dr Robertson's significant successes with the 9.3 as well as is overall usefulness.

Just could not pass up the opportunity for a little bit of fun with the reply post.

I hope you enjoy your 9.3x62 even MORE than you think you are going to! Thump 'em, bubba!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
9.3x62 CZ AHR

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DF, That one is alsmot too cool for words. NICE hunting rifle, there.

I especially love the short forend and nice open slender grip. I don't know why more stock manufacturer's dont "get" that point about stockbuilding. I mean, how hard would it be for Remchesterby to re align thier tooling a little to bring us a nice grip like this on thier guns? Most rifle grips are far too angular and feel more like a 2x4 than a fine rifle stock in one's had. Oh well, more work for the custom guys, I guess.

Congratulations, are in order.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A-36ish ho my...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.