Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by CLB
In my opinion, there is not one factory rifle made that is perfect out of the box.

Have you shot an Accuracy International new out of the box?

Not exactly the type of "factory" rifle being discussed here champ...

Last edited by CLB; 07/17/14.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by CLB
In my opinion, there is not one factory rifle made that is perfect out of the box.

Have you shot an Accuracy International new out of the box?

Not exactly the type of "factory" rifle being discussed her champ...

Your quote was there was "not one factory rifle"�� just responding to the quote.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Hunter,

Besides being a Clueless [bleep]...you don't even know how to shop.

Congratulations?!?

Laffin'!

Fotis,

You NEARLY said sumptin' about The Rifle,but felt farrrrrrrr more comfortable talking about cock,so refrained. Bless your heart,ain't that quaint?!?

If someone took your rubber dick and spun it around the top of your head,for just single revolution and in an open field,you'd need to shoot a flare for rescue too...just like poor poor [bleep] stupid 'raider. You Haybale Kchunts are a "hearty" and "resourceful" breed.

Laffin'!

PS and by the way,are you still "living" your dream,of running a Whorehouse by hand?!?

You rough & tumble gals are a [bleep] hoot! Really enjoyed the "Testimony" of your Gerbil totin' pals and their keen "knowledge",that's just gotta be commensurate with what you THINK is a first [bleep] clue. Laffin'!

Wow.

MCH,

I keep trying to buy "bad" Montana's,but they only exist in The Do Nothing Gang's Imaginations.

Poor poor stupid [bleep] SquatToPee had the "worst" one ever and with a new home...it drove [bleep] tacks. What were the "odds"!?! Laffin'! 'Course she went all "Sniper" and schit on it,exhausting her "vast" "knowledge" base,before throwing in the [bleep] towel and Whining for years about it whooping her ass. EPIC [bleep] humor!

Bases just got here,so it's Montucky Tinker Time.

Only broke (1) set of LW's on this rifle and dat's rather sumptin',given the mileage,topography,weather and round count. This set remains in 99.99% condition.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never have puked a set of DD's,despite 100+ rifles having wore them. 30mm Signatures rings are gettin' gawdamned scarce. Rocked the .020" inclination inherent and stabbed another .025" in the ass,so should eek 120-ish MOA the other side of a 250yd fullhouse A-Max zero.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ain't gonna leave much to chance.

[Linked Image]

Film at 11:00,as I'm headed out to shoot again...after the coffee is done.(grin)

'gwe,

Which serial number range were the "bad" ones,as I'm certain I've got a few. Undoubtedly,my original Whizzum is one and even "suffered" stupid [bleep] clueless Brad's feed/function "affliction". I seen that rifle on YouTube and it looked fine to me.

Laffin'!

Kaleb,

Rifle selection includes many things,none of which you mention...mainly because such things are beyond your comprehension. Twist rate and COAL,rate more than a passing thunk.

Hint.

Thank me later.

CLB,

1500 clams will arrange a Montucky,bases,rings,glass and boolits.

Easily.

But it's their Imagination...let 'em Pretend with it,if only because it's as close as they'll ever get.(grin)

Gee,

I reckon you laugh more than a little,every time you encounter a mirror.

Congratulations?!?

Laffin'!

'bird,

With a NIB AI,I'd wanna tweak the trigger,get rid of the [bleep] brake and mebbe do a leetle sumptin' to the skins...as a minimum. That of course dependin' upon which model you think you cite.

The elder CM spouts are a [bleep] bust outta da' gate. Not that CM spouts,ain't enough to make the Haybale & Crockett Crowd giddy.

Hint.

Just sayin'.

Dependin' upon the chambering,I'd prolly wanna swap mags or at least remove plates. Say sumptin' about boolits and COAL,for the "win". Laffin'!

Re-hint.

Good talk.

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CLB

I'm yet to see a $1,500 Montana. I paid $900 for NIB Montana in 7-08 right here on the 'Fire. You can't buy a new M70 EW for that! Once again, it's way to easy to "fix" a binding mag box or do a simple bedding job.

Kinda childish to me to hear someone say the rifle "didn't shoot" without looking into why before writing them off and sending them down the road. Fotis might have only had to grind down an action screw a bit....

In my opinion, there is not one factory rifle made that is perfect out of the box. It could very well be that the thinner (less mass) action on the Montana shows a more magnified response to minor imperfections in stock fit or minor binding than say a more robust Ruger or Winchester.

Whatever, no skin off my azz.

I would not be very happy with a $1000 rifle that required tinkering to get it to shoot, either, so whether the current price of a Kimber is in that range or more is moot as far as I'm concerned.

Again, nothing against Kimbers, I just think for that kind of money the manufacturers should take care of details like making sure action screws are not too long and make sure they shoot well before they leave the factory.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Again, nothing against Kimbers, I just think for that kind of money the manufacturers should take care of details like making sure action screws are not too long and make sure they shoot well before they leave the factory.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this.

At the same time the rifle is good enough that with a little help its a great hunting rig. So why not put a little finishing touches on it?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Boxer

'bird,

With a NIB AI,I'd wanna tweak the trigger,get rid of the [bleep] brake and mebbe do a leetle sumptin' to the skins...as a minimum. That of course dependin' upon which model you think you cite.

The elder CM spouts are a [bleep] bust outta da' gate. Not that CM spouts,ain't enough to make the Haybale & Crockett Crowd giddy.

Hint.

Just sayin'.

Dependin' upon the chambering,I'd prolly wanna swap mags or at least remove plates. Say sumptin' about boolits and COAL,for the "win". Laffin'!

Re-hint.

Good talk.

For discussion -

The barrels are stainless, 24," plain, no brake out of the box. wink

There is no plate in the AW mags, which affords more than enough length to jam hard into the lands with room to spare for most -08 comparable rounds and bullets assuming the barrel cutter has a clue. The AW mag will accommodate to 2.975" COAL.

Bullets? Default for the '08 is 175 SMK's. Have run the Amaxes in 30 and 7mm, but have found others to be a bit more consistent farther out, at least for me. Scenars and Bergers can yield nice results if and when available. 30 cal 210 Berger at 2800+ can do nice things. No 7mm or 338's in the line-up at the moment, though 176 Cauterucios from a 7WSM at .725 are my favorite, and 250 - 300's surely make the wind a bit easier than others.

Skins - glue walnut on the sides? grin

2.810" COAL and kissing the lands -

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I don�t believe I�ve ever owned a factory production rifle that was perfect out of the box, and don�t really expect to.

I hate to post this pic twice in the same thread...
[Linked Image]

I guess I didn't spend $1000 on it though, think I gave about $600 brand new, and I haven't done anything but clean it, mount optics and shoot it...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arhidovich! LOL

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Boxer the op wants to shoot deer not take pics and play on his computer. Haha.

Such things rate a thunk. Hint

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sorry musta left my good camera on the couch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Made off the couch with a broke neck too...lol. Go on say it hard chargin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ok I'm done
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Kaleb

[Linked Image]

Back at ya' K,

[Linked Image]

do luv me some Rib-eye steak.

Best,

GWB

PS: Mighty fine country and pix.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I don�t believe I�ve ever owned a factory production rifle that was perfect out of the box, and don�t really expect to.

I hate to post this pic twice in the same thread...
[Linked Image]

I guess I didn't spend $1000 on it though, think I gave about $600 brand new, and I haven't done anything but clean it, mount optics and shoot it...

Accuracy is only a part of the equation, and is in fact about fourth on the list behind reliability/f&f, staying zeroed, and rifle fit/shootability.

Did you pull it apart to make sure all the wood is sealed? DBC'ed the barrel to prevent corrosion and extend time between cleanings? Adjust the trigger? Test the rifle to ensure feeding/extraction/ejection through the full magazine capacity? Bed the rifle to make sure it maintains zero?

These are things a guy should really do on a hunting rifle, and if any of these are lacking (though I might not bother DBCing a SS barrel), the rifle sure as hell isn't ready for tough hunting use.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Haha lookin good. Wife and I took a quick trip to visit friends in Montana last week.

Seems y'all are enjoying life aswell. I bet we could have a big time even if it is the "Texas version"......Laffin. Take care.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Hunter,

I buy new boots,I gotta lace the [bleep] things up. I buy new bino's,I gotta put a strap on 'em. I buy a new reel,I gotta put line on it.

Now I'd not slight that such "Technical" matters are more than a touch "daunting" to you and noone would KNOW better than you,that which is beyond your abilities. That being said,I couldn't shift my brain into a low enough gear,to muse for even a nano-second,that checking out a new rifle ain't anything more than a [bleep] given.

'Course I can piss standing up too.

Laffin'!

MCH,

I've long preferred KNOWING,over guessin'...but alotta these gals seem to do schit differently and I enjoy the [bleep] humor!

I can only lead 'em to water and admittedly find it funnier than [bleep],when they don't partake.

Tough to trump the humor of a Paper Hat "stand".

Laffin'!

'bird,

AI makes alotta different schit and I mentioned,that you never cited a particular Model.

Losing the brake is a good thang,24" 308's suck heavy ass. The 2.810" kiss looks M852-esque and dat ain't a horrid throat to suffer on a 308...if a guy hasta suffer a [bleep] 308.

I've had good luck with Alpha 2's and throats in their accords.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never could like ergo's on anything AI and they've Jip-Japped the schit outta their newest offering,the only thing it's missing is a propeller on top.(grin)

As to skins..I'd glue glue on the sides...as I'm a fan of traction.

Cowboy',

Tough call...as I cain't decide if it was funnier the first time,or the second.

Really get after it,don'tcha'?!?

Laffin'!

Fotis,

You said you were "out".

Did somebody grab your rubber dick and toss it back in the fray?!?

Laffin'!

Kaleb,

Never have used a computer or a camera,so you got me there. You really take some fabulous pictures. Laffin'!

Hell...it's been 10 whole minutes,since I've shot a 223AI. Quick zero trio and only 126.5 MOA remaining on the erector(1875yd line).

[Linked Image]

Never been in the woods or seen water...keep the pics coming,that schit is [bleep] awesome! Gladja' didn't go to talkin' fancy Gun Stuff either. Really groovin' on all the elbow room you got and that bitchin' dinghy.

Laffin'!

WOW +P+!

Gee,

Mebbe explain how in THE [bleep],someone would/could lose a bet big enough,to haveta go to [bleep] Tennessee?!?

Curious here.

Laffin'!

You poor poor dumb [bleep] are living in San Francisco and don't even [bleep] know it!!!

Bless your hearts.

'goat,

It'll Haybale and that's more than she's gonna do.

Laffin'!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Haha 10 min ago you was shooting so you took pics and ran to the fire to show everyone....lol. Funny part is you think you're cool for it. Laffin.....just can't make this stuff up!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hey look I've got old pics too.

Some might be twisted with a thunk
I can take pics of my guns too....it's even got turrets fast twist barrel throated for 75's and might even have moly inside the tube....oh no
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
K,

it's all good.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (16penny, 35, afisher, Anaconda, AscensionIndustries, 11 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,101
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.