Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Seriously though, many of us would do far better taking the money for a new deer rifle and instead putting it into ammo or components to improve our skills on the rifles we already own.

Bah! that's what 22's...er, pellet guns are for

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
But there is also great enjoyment in owning a number of rifles.. My safe has quite a few, and I enjoy each one .. I have also found once you have the loads worked up and tested, it is fairly easy to shift from one rifle to another.. That in its self is an enjoyable thing.. I could just shoot p. dogs with my .223, but I get great pleasure in using a .22 mag. 222, 223, .22-250, 22-250IMP. etc.. Same with big game rifles.. I usually don't take more than one head of game with a rifle in a given season.. Not everyone would enjoy this, but as I mentioned before, if I just had used my old .30-06 I suppose I could have taken 75 percent of the game I have killed with it.. But I know I would have quit shooting and hunting long ago, if I had used only one rifle.. Plus, I would have missed out on a great deal education on shooting, handloading etc..

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
i guess a main reason im wanting another is neither of my rifles r stainless and im wanting a good all purpose weather resistant rifle. 6.5x55 has intrigued me for a while. i could get also get into handloading,etc with it

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by donsm70
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
I'm hearing a 6.5x284 calling my name. What have you got and how's it shoot..

This is what I have;

[Linked Image]

And this is how it shoots;[Linked Image]

donsm70

Pretty rifle Don, too bad you can't get it to shoot! grin

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you have a couple of safe's full of rifles and have always wanted to hunt elk/moose/bear/Africa and haven't... then you have too many rifles.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by killindeer
..does one need? seems most my friends own like 5-15 rifles. as of now i own 2. i found a rifle i want but sometthing is tellin me u dont need it. while another voice says u can never hav too many rifles buy it.

Who ever said that the little bird saying "need" was right???

The little bird that says want is the one to listen too!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
If you have a couple of safe's full of rifles and have always wanted to hunt elk/moose/bear/Africa and haven't... then you have too many rifles.

Yep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the one im lookin at getting is a 6.5x55

Every man needs a good 6.5x55...

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Logic is overrated.

Need has nothing to do with it.

I found out a long time ago that I am happier inside, more pleasant to be around, and the people at work will comment on how good of a mood I am in when I don't debate "need".

Well, at least for a week........

Then it starts again.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
the one im lookin at getting is a 6.5x55

Every man needs a good 6.5x55...

OK, I'll start looking for one. grin

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Vic, you are right,, Need has little to do with it.. Rifles are enjoyment in themselves for most of us.. I used to agonize over the purchase of a rifle, do I need it, what will I use it for, etc.. Fortunately, I got over that about 40 years ago.. I can always sell and get some $ back, and if not, the folks who get my stuff can either enjoy or sell..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
..does one need? seems most my friends own like 5-15 rifles. as of now i own 2. i found a rifle i want but sometthing is tellin me u dont need it. while another voice says u can never hav too many rifles buy it.

To a Loony, NEED is an objectionable four letter word, best left unmentioned, lest some of us become offended... shocked

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

To a Loony, NEED is an objectionable four letter word, best left unmentioned, lest some of us become offended... shocked

DF

...well, unless you "need" reloading supplies, or a new scope for that new rifle.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many deer rifles do you need? Only ONE!!!!
But there are little deer, big deer, medium sized deer, oh and don't forget elk are deer and so are moose and Sitka deer and roe deer and red deer and fallow deer..... Get the picture?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's see...
2 slug guns, one rifled, one smoothbore
1 percussion Hawkins
1 .300 Savage
1 30-06
1 .243
1 .44 Mag
and one butt-ugly Mosin Nagant that will hopefully never have to see the light of day in the deer woods.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Seriously though, many of us would do far better taking the money for a new deer rifle and instead putting it into ammo or components to improve our skills on the rifles we already own.

Good point Billy. I believe it all goes back to whether you are primarily a rifle looney who likes to hunt, or a hunter who likes rifles. Also, at what point are you in the journey.

I contracted a case of the loonies several years ago, but have since realized I enjoy the hunt, experiencing different landscapes, meeting new people, and creating memories more than filling up my safe. Since I don't have an unlimited budget, my direction is to maintain my collection to a set of rifles I truly use, shoot them as often as possible, and hunt every where I can.

Now, if I ever win the lottery I am buying a new safe. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few, most are 30-30 Toppers mated to modern receivers. A couple of Handis in 30-06, a couple of NEF muzzleloaders, but sold off the Tracker II shotguns since we went all rifle in Wisconsin. Since added 30-30's and also have a Marlin SC made in 1950. I have hunted with all but one so far.
[Linked Image]

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

A serious deer hunter "needs" one rifle, plus a spare similar to it, because shidt happens.

OTOH a serious rifle nut can never have enough rifles.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 6.5x55 will do the exact same thing your current 270 will do.

Save the money and use it towards a hunt somewhere new.

Sound advice right there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
Let's see now;

240 PSP
250 Savage
257 Roberts
6.5x284
264 Win Mag
7-08
7x57
280 AI
30-06
300 H&H
300 WSM

Just sayin'

donsm70

Come on Don. You know your 375 H&H will work for deer too... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.