Print Thread
Hop To
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
want to buy a cheap ($400 ish) jon boat style boat- max of 14 feet. got a small lake- 75 acres- near us and would love to spend some time on the water.

need to know what to look for. and what to avoid- some of these are 1960's boats- that ok?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Overall visual condition is the first place to start. Rivets can loosen or be knocked out given rough care. They can be replaced but you won't know until you float it which is a good question to ask. Anything wooden, like seats can and will rot away. But usually pretty basic to replace with green treated stuff.

Back in the 70's the US Coast Guard came out with a mandatory edict called "level flotation" or "basic flotation". This means the boat had to have sufficient buoyancy not to sink. Its a complicated law. Some manufacturers had to retro fit their smaller craft in order to satisfy this new law. Such a craft you are looking for will have its stability limitations and common sense dictates everyone onboard have an approved PFD. Make sure the oarlocks are present and function with the oars.

Some of the newer electric motors have pretty good power which gives you an option over a smaller outboard motor.

Have fun.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If poasible, buy all welded. Stay away from any "fixes" that involve silicone on the bottom, i learned the hard way.

Check under the bench seats to make sure the foam is there and in good condition( easy enough to tell by feel)

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
cool. keep the ideas coming

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've seen jon boats with "rock guards" welded to the bottom. If you see a boat with these, and they are spot welded. RUN don't walk away from it, there is a good chance those "rock guards are covering up tears in the hull. And those spot welds don't stop water

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Here's a new one for $699:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/alumacraft-14-flat-bottom-jon-boat/pid-474103?N=581132420

Now, it doesn't have a trailer, but if the ones you're finding for $400 don't have a trailer, either, you might just be better off going new. If you'll just make a point to turn it upside down if you leave it outside, then it will easily last the rest of your life.

Otherwise, on old ones, make sure and check for loose rivets. Check the wood in the transom area. Make sure the "seat bases" (if wood) are not rotten.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but these narrow jon boats are not to be stood up in, when out on the water. They'll throw you over just as quick as standing up in a canoe. They're great for smaller lakes/ponds, but don't be tempted to get out in open water on a large reservoir. If the wind gets up at all, you'll be in big trouble.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
yup, this is for smaller stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aluminum ain't bad but Fiberglas is better. Maybe give some thought to Gheenoes or older glass skiffs like Jon Dories.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You won't find a used one for that price but take a look at a Porta-Bote. They come in 8 to 14' and can often be found used on Craigslist. It will handle a lot more weight than a jon of the same size and only ships 4" of water. I have a 14' and love it. porta-bote.com

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A Coleman Crawdad would suit you probaby. They are light 12' long and easy to load in the back of a truck. I don't think they make them anymore but I see them on craigslist on occation. Good luck

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For small water (up to say 1500 acres) with a motor, Alumacraft F7. Tough, lightweight and stable 14 footer. Plenty of speed out of a 15 horse. Don't even consider getting around with oars, it isn't designed to row. 35 FP trolling motor will get you around.

No motor, get a canoe and you have the option of an electric trolling motor.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1234, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 65 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,124
Posts18,502,421
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.