Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The 270 smothered the 270s chance.

Standardized twist 1/10 is just too slow for serious LR bullets.

Not to say you can't get there with the 270, but it will always suffer the limitations of it's twist rate. And there will always be choices in 6.5 or 7mm that will do better way out there.

This^^^.

Add to that, you can't change physics. There are no "magic" calibers/cartridges. Just simple physics. The 6.5mm and 7mm will ALWAYS be better at LR than the .277. That's just the way it is, regardless of personal preferences/biases.

Sort of a contradiction isn't? There is no [/i]inherent[i] superiority in any caliber. In cartridges,bullets, and barrels, yes, but they are manufactured. Within a large span of "mms" or "inches" of bore diameter, a cartridge/bullet/twist combination can be put together that is every bit as good as that of any 6.5 or a 7mm. So your second sentence, especially emphasized with, "ALWAYS", is not true.

All it would take is a manufacturer to offer or a barrel maker to twist a longer-than-usual barrel a little faster and a well made 550-.650 BC .277 pill to appear and, voila, the 270 Win would be in the running at 1k.

Edited to add: IMO, the 6.5s and 7's as good as they may be will never smother the 270's chances. Aside from the fact that it was a good hunting cartridge as it was with the bullets of two generations ago, probably more important is, it's achieved icon status in the NA hunting culture; so, it will always be around. Because of that, it's component parts will continually be tweaked.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 07/20/14.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Bob.
I do aliitle bit of both.
1000 yard BR and big game hunting.
I watched a guy shooting 270 WCF at one of our matches last summer.A bolt gun with a can on the end.He didnt win but he shot well.
It was impressive to see the 270 on the line.150g ballistic tips shoot very well at 850 to 1000 yards with a 1-10 twist.
If you were to ask me what is the most accurate round to get for 0 to 300 yards.Thats easy.
Its a 6mm PPC.
Nothing has been able to equal it since 1974.
The situation at 1000 yards is much different.
There really is no dominate round or caliber at 1000 yards.
And saying high BC bullets dominate at 1000 yards is pretty much BS to.
One of the most winning rounds on our range is the 6x47 Lapua.
Most that run it, run the 105g Berger hybrid.
Lots of bullets with higher BCs around that it.
I have two matches under my belt running the 105g Berger hybrid,,but from a 6mm Dasher instead of the 6x47.
Time will tell.
Two guys showed up at our last match and shot on our bench on the later relays.Both were running 338 Lapuas.With 300 matchkings.I think one guy got 4 and the other guy got 6 ,out of 40.That high BC didnt seem to help them at all.
I shoot 6mm, 6.5 and 30 cal at 1000.
I'd skip all 3 of them and pick up my 270 and go back to Alberta without hesitation.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looking at match bullets designed without the constraints of factory twists the 270 cannot compare to 6.5 and 7mm bullets of similar weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave7mm

The 6 Dasher by a landslide at 600 or 1K BR.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Looking at match bullets designed without the constraints of factory twists the 270 cannot compare to 6.5 and 7mm bullets of similar weight.

Yes, but I did mention twist can be changed for the 270 cartridge just like for any other. And then match bullets could be..[/i]matched[i]."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf

The 6 Dasher by a landslide at 600 or 1K BR.....

My testing at 500 with the Dasher has been unreal.I've never seen accuracy like that.But the Dasher has never won at Ridgway.At least not yet.In the two matches I've shot mine in ,it shot ok.First match I had a 20 last one I had a 18. Had no problems taking 55 pound coyotes down but I was blowing cases.Now that I have all that taken care of will see how it does the rest of the season..
The Williamsport boys shoot Dashers in good conditions.
When the conditions take a crap....like they are all the time at Ridgway....they dig out the 300 WSMs.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RyanScott

You could say that about the 6mm Berger hybrid as well.Its BC does not come close to whats offered in 6,5 and 7mm.But its winning.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What do you attribute to some bullets doing well "in spite" of their BC?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You only shoot at Ridgeway. In IBS 600 or 1K Benchrest, the Dasher rules...period. They hold the majority of the single target and agg records, and at the Deep Creek, Mt range, which shoots by Williamsport rules, is dominated by Dashers.

I've kicked many a boomer's ass to the the curb with my Dashers....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
You only shoot at Ridgeway. In IBS 600 or 1K Benchrest, the Dasher rules...period. They hold the majority of the single target and agg records, and at the Deep Creek, Mt range, which shoots by Williamsport rules, is dominated by Dashers.

I've kicked many a boomer's ass to the the curb with my Dashers....

Im not disagreeing.
All of the 6.5-284 1000 yard records fell very fast to the Dasher.
Right now at Ridgway the record is tied at 36 out of a possible 40.One was a 7mm WSM running a 162g AMAX.The other is a 300 WSM running a 200 Berger Hybrid.The typical winning score is 28.
Every once and awhile someone will get into the 30s but it doesnt happen very often.
kinda looking forward to what I can do with my Dasher.

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

What do you attribute to some bullets doing well "in spite" of their BC?

Some of the best shooters on the line at Ridgway are running them.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, but they'd still be one of the best shooters with a higher BC bullet. Are you saying they just like that particular bullet..regardless?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont think so.
The 6x47 seems to have a disproportionate number of wins.Any bullet you could shoot in it, has a lower BC than just about anything else.Theres a quite a few on the line.
You would think that the 284s and 7mm SAUMs with 180g Hybrids and the 300 WSM with the big huge BC hybrids would be kicking azz all the time.And from time to time they turn in a stellar performance.But over all they just dont seem that consistant to me.
I think recoil has alot to do with it.
Remember its 40 rounds for score plus sighters.
A typical match for me is 75 rounds... And thats only one rifle.I shoot both classes...
You be be surprised at the number of times the 12 pound rifle has won a match.Most of theses 12 pounders are 6x47s.And remember, theres 17 pound and unlimited class rifles on the line to.
I see alot of guys looking at ballistic tables and BC values.
They think that higher BC values will give them a edge.
And that that edge will allow them to win.
The guys that are actually winning dont seem to be playing by that rule book.
And its working for them.

dave

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hi Bob.
I do aliitle bit of both.
1000 yard BR and big game hunting.
I watched a guy shooting 270 WCF at one of our matches last summer.A bolt gun with a can on the end.He didnt win but he shot well.
It was impressive to see the 270 on the line.150g ballistic tips shoot very well at 850 to 1000 yards with a 1-10 twist.
If you were to ask me what is the most accurate round to get for 0 to 300 yards.Thats easy.
Its a 6mm PPC.
Nothing has been able to equal it since 1974.
The situation at 1000 yards is much different.
And saying high BC bullets dominate at 1000 yards is pretty much BS to.
One of the most winning rounds on our range is the 6x47 Lapua.
Most that run it, run the 105g Berger hybrid.
Lots of bullets with higher BCs around that it.
I have two matches under my belt running the 105g Berger hybrid,,but from a 6mm Dasher instead of the 6x47.
Time will tell.
Two guys showed up at our last match and shot on our bench on the later relays.Both were running 338 Lapuas.With 300 matchkings.I think one guy got 4 and the other guy got 6 ,out of 40.That high BC didnt seem to help them at all.
I shoot 6mm, 6.5 and 30 cal at 1000.
I'd skip all 3 of them and pick up my 270 and go back to Alberta without hesitation.

dave

Dave as usual nice to hear from someone with high power and match experience. You show up with real world info.I never see a 270 in HP among the guys back here; but many hunt with them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guess the Subaru was too big.

All you got is the name calling. smirk

I figured right.Come back in 20 years.

Coming on here with the "your favorite caliber sucks" attitude may impress your friends who know even less,but doesn't wash with anybody who has BTDT. You'll figure out eventually that's it's the shooter/hunter...not the toy.

Your sarcasim, in light of your "experience",is entertaining.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/21/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dammit, I missed you, Bob. I shouldn't stay away for so long. Way to keep 'em in line!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave7mm, thanks for your input!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U R Welcome George

dave

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bob,
Shooting and hunting have a lot in common with racing Dirt Late Models, 410 Winged Sprint Cars, and Open Wheel Modifieds racing on 8" tires.
There are thousands of different products that are a part of the thousands of different setup possibilities one encounters when trying to make a car faster on the stop watch and a winning race car. Of course the driver (just like the guy on the trigger) has a lot to do with it too.
One of the basic tenets of common sense tuning is if you are lost and cannot figure out a way to get the results you want a guy goes back to his notebooks and finds the tried and true setup to get squared away. Similar to shooting and hunting with long range being somewhat arbitrary.
The debate here is has the 6.5 smothered the 270's chances. The answer to that question is obvious to me. Although the .264 diameter bullets are plentiful and yes higher B.C.than the bullets available for the .270 that has not in any way smothered the 270 except possibly among the ranks of those actually good enough or those who concern themselves with hunting and shooting at over 550-600 yards out to 1000 or even as far as 1200 yards.
Again long distance shooting is to one man what it isn't to another. Personally I am not going to take a poke at any animal beyond my self imposed 550-600 yard limit. There are a number of reasons why I have imposed that limit including my lack of ability and confidence in making the shot and as the distance gets stretched out even further in some circles and conversations Time of a Flight becomes a real consideration. Oh and I haven't forgotten about the wind.
Something else to consider regarding the 6.5MM is that Lapua developed the 6.5/47 and for a cartridge that burns less than 40 grains of powder in the right rifle with the right guy driving they will shoot way out there. No recoil, the brass stands pressures hardly anything else will handle and it will still hold the next primer.
In closing the 6.5 is obviously a good caliber and the 6.5/284 as well as the Swede, the 260, 264 WM, and the 6.5/06 are good hunting rounds. In fact I am tuning on a new NULA in 6.5/284 now. The only thing I can tell it has on any of the 270's in the Heritage is that it burns a little less gunpowder and will shoot a 129 grain bullet that recoils less than a 130 in a 270.
Yes the B.C. Is higher on the 129 in 6.5 but it doesn't matter one whip at distances the large majority of folks shoot. I have never scene anything in 6.5 other than a 264 WM in any hunting camp I have ever been in. Here at home in WV there are and have been a lot of animals whacked with (the basic setup) a 270. The 6.5 cartridges have a lot of catching up to do!
BTW I think this is appropriate to this thread. Just like in dirt racing. "it ain't what you got, it's what you do with what you got" The 270's won a lot of races.

Dave

Last edited by RaceTire; 07/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.......and they lived happily ever after.

The end.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.