E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by milespatton
Haven't read many news reports of guns jumping from a gun cabinet or gun safe, running across the yard and shooting anyone.
So not really the same, agreed?

Nor a water bucket jumping up around a kids head and drowning them. There is most likely human negligence in these two but with the pits you can add bad dog/poorly trained dog/bad breed (you choose) along with the negligence of the human. miles

In many of the cases of dogs attacking small children, it's parental negligence that causes them to be with the dogs in the first place.

One of the ones this past weekend was a 4 year old who went outside without anyone knowing

It doesn't take a "bad breed" or "poor training" for a kid to aggrevate a dog enough to get hurt

I'm wondering why folks who have poodles, labs, pointers, setters and such aren't so guilty of negligence as the owners of pits? Maybe it's the dog that makes them negligent? Do you think just getting a pit is something that makes one negligent?

If you think you can live halfway normal and be with a four, five or even an eight year old every moment you are wrong and it wouldn't be the best thing for their development anyway.

Last edited by eyeball; 07/21/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by acooper1983
anyone who leaves a child alone with any dog is a dumbass.

You are full of chit. The pug that I had was part of my family until his death. Fifteen years of nothing but love towards my kiddos. He was by my kids side when they were sick. He woke them up on weekend mornings by licking their ears until they got out of bed. He was an amazing little dog and he loved my family unconditionally.
So your statement is as idiotic as anything that The Real Browneye posts about dogs.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

find me a stat that says that there are even 10% of the population of English setters that there are pitts. There more pitts than any other dog in the US, of course they;'re going to have more dog bites, they do damage when they bite becasue they're strong. Ive got 2 of them sitting right next to me as I type this. They are not a breed for novice dogs owners I.e most blacks. I always tell people that approx 5% of pitbull owners should be allowed to have one.

I dont let my dogs alone with any kids. They love my neices and nephews and are extremely tolerant, and even more protective of them, but anyone who leaves a child alone with any dog is a dumbass. There have been kids killed by pomeranians and yorkies.

Moron number three speaks. There are tens of thousands of setter across the northern tier of states. If they were even one tenth as dangerous as pits the reports of setter killing people would be there.

IT'S THE PHUGGING BREED YOU MORONS. That's why the stats arent there for other breeds. Eliminate the breed you eliminate the problem.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Locally, we just had a sweet-looking 8 month old baby boy mauled and killed by a mixed breed pit-bull. There has not been any explanation as to why the dog suddenly and apparently unprovoked attacked the baby. The dog belonged to the baby's parents.

Just last year, a local middle-aged woman was mauled to death by her neighbor's 2 pit-bulls who came after her in her own yard and tore her apart.

I wonder how much longer our society is gonna put up with these "killer dogs" before they're permanently made illegal to keep or own?

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There has not been any explanation as to why the dog suddenly and apparently unprovoked attacked the baby

A friend of mine and myself got some hog dogs one time, from his uncle in Louisiana. They were a large part pit but not full breed. We had them for a while and they were gentle and never offered to harm anybody but I was keeping them at my house in a pen, and one day some people came to visit my Mother, who lived next door, and they had some small children. One of the male dogs went to growling as soon as he heard the shrill voices of the young children playing. I happened to be by the pen, and he was staring and growling in the direction of the noise. He did not have direct sight of them just sound. We traded him to a man that wanted a guard dog, that would be kept behind a chain link fence all of the time, with all things known. I did not trust the other two, so we sold them to some hog hunters that my friend knew. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It was said:

"IT'S THE PHUGGING BREED YOU MORONS. That's why the stats arent there for other breeds. Eliminate the breed you eliminate the problem."

My opinion? Yes and no... the owner has a lot to do with the dog's behavior. My wife and I have a pit mix and it is the smartest, most obedient, most loyal and affectionate dog I have ever had.

However, it is also a dog that aims to please it's master. When we first got it at four years of age, it would aggressively fight any dog it encountered and had a bad habit of chasing deer. It now knows that I do not want it to fight and is now good with other dogs. It even has, well for the most part, stopped chasing deer.

It seems to me that pits want to please the master more than any other breed I have owned. They seem like they will be almost anything the master wants it to be. Left to themselves or left without training; I can see how my dog could be very dangerous. Could easily kill the neighbors dogs if left to it's own desires. I think it could easily be trained to be violent toward other people.

So, although I really enjoy this wonderful dog, I would not get another one. We have a new granddaughter and I will not leave the dog alone with the little girls.

Edit to add: Well, I would not leave the dog unrestrained with the kids and I would not give the dog a chance to even get a quick bite in. Love the dog and I would not expect anything to happen but I see the dog could get excited or be unpredictable.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 07/22/14.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I think one pit was killing a kid as its owner was getting injured trying to fight the dog to get the child away, got in the restroom and had to pass the kid out the window to others for medical care.

Many owners of pits have been mauled and killed by their dogs.

I think your idea that pits are dependable in pleasing their master is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

I knew a guy who had a rattler that never bit him, too.

Last edited by eyeball; 07/22/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
anyone who leaves a child alone with any dog is a dumbass.

You are full of chit. The pug that I had was part of my family until his death. Fifteen years of nothing but love towards my kiddos. He was by my kids side when they were sick. He woke them up on weekend mornings by licking their ears until they got out of bed. He was an amazing little dog and he loved my family unconditionally.
So your statement is as idiotic as anything that The Real Browneye posts about dogs.

My childhood home and grandparents always had pointers, beagles, Black and Tans or curs around and kids could be left around any.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How many examples of people who claimed ther pit was the sweetest most trustworthy dog around the family and then one day it up and killed a kid do you think a google search could turn up?

Every single dog on earth arose from the same gene pool as wolves. Wolves are notoriously untrustworthy as adults, even wolf crosses. This is part of the nature of dogs. Some dogs have these traits buried deeper than others. The social structure of the animals is unmistakeable from centuries past though and it is a thoroughly undesirable characteristic for a dog to behave like a pit. The more so when the expression of the characteristic is unpredictable as it is with the pits.

THERE IS NO LOOKING AT A PIT AND PREDICTABLY CONCLUDING IT WILL OR WILL NOT ATTACK AT SOME POINT.

The certainty with which that conclusion may be drawn with many breeds is orders of magnitude greater, and with the vast majority of them, the predictability of a bite and them backing off is greater still. Hence the example of setters. If they bite, and they most all will in the right circumstance, they virtually always do so without drawing blood and then they back off. I have never known or known of a dangerous setter.

Something like a Chessie can have very distinct ideas of property and if a Chessie tells you it will bite if you continue, you can take it to the bank. Chessies aren't bright enough to know how to bluff. They will bite and draw blood. I have never know a Chessie to just attack when not in defense of property though. They don't go off on a tear and kill people. Most particularly not people who are not/have not provoked them.

Dogs have characteristics as individuals, and just a hair deeper, as a breed.

One of the above morons tried to liken the argument to the anti gun argument. To put it in terms even morons can grasp, a pit is not at all unlike a Remington 700 trigger. Something only fools and morons trust.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Exterminate them all.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Everything I've read (with any documentation) about pits does not support that. My personal experience does not support that. So, I'm a moron.

My experience is that any large dog breed can be trained or bred to tenacity. If pitbulls are especially prone to that and they are eliminated entirely, other breeds will be put to the same service by those who would do so.

How does this not sound like the whole gun ban debate? Deadly device in untrained/irresponsible/criminal hands....it's all the same.

Find me five examples of English Setters killing humans.

English Setters make a pretty lame guard dog. Show me five deaths by paint ball gun.

Your argument is so lame that you resort to name-calling almost immediately. Care to stick to real data? Somewhere above, one of your backers linked to dogbites.org for "data". A site with a clear agenda if there ever was one. It's easy-peasy to link other websites that refute the claims of dogbites.org, with factual information to back it up.

I myself have seen first hand, a pit that was provoked into an attack by another dog - and immediately broke away from the fight (not that it had to). So I know this "fight to death at all cost" thing is not hard-wired into the dog.

Having been around and owned plenty of the guard dog breeds, I know that they are far more effective at such work because of their temperament. Not that they are more prone to kill - but they are more in tune to guarding. Mine were constantly on-alert and on-task, when other breeds would have been sleeping. This is exactly why my house was the one that was untouched while every other house in the neighborhood got hit at some point. it wasn't because I was a badass with a gun, or because the dog looked threatening. Not only that - every other house also had a dog or more than one dog. Those dogs barked all the time, but didn't keep their owners from being burglarized. Ours was always watching, but only alarmed when something was really going on.

So yes, there is a difference in the breeds - but it isn't all in how hard they bite. If I were to find myself in such a neighborhood again, I would want one of the guard breeds. Maybe not a pit (they don't appeal to me as much as some others I've had or known) - but if you can ban pits, then the others will follow.

If you can't wrap your mind around how that relates to gun bans, then you just call me a moron again and we'll be on our way and let the audience think what they want.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MILES58

Everything I've read (with any documentation) about pits does not support that. My personal experience does not support that. So, I'm a moron.

My experience is that any large dog breed can be trained or bred to tenacity. If pitbulls are especially prone to that and they are eliminated entirely, other breeds will be put to the same service by those who would do so.

How does this not sound like the whole gun ban debate? Deadly device in untrained/irresponsible/criminal hands....it's all the same.

Find me five examples of English Setters killing humans.

English Setters make a pretty lame guard dog. Show me five deaths by paint ball gun.

Your argument is so lame that you resort to name-calling almost immediately. Care to stick to real data? Somewhere above, one of your backers linked to dogbites.org for "data". A site with a clear agenda if there ever was one. It's easy-peasy to link other websites that refute the claims of dogbites.org, with factual information to back it up.

I myself have seen first hand, a pit that was provoked into an attack by another dog - and immediately broke away from the fight (not that it had to). So I know this "fight to death at all cost" thing is not hard-wired into the dog.

Having been around and owned plenty of the guard dog breeds, I know that they are far more effective at such work because of their temperament. Not that they are more prone to kill - but they are more in tune to guarding. Mine were constantly on-alert and on-task, when other breeds would have been sleeping. This is exactly why my house was the one that was untouched while every other house in the neighborhood got hit at some point. it wasn't because I was a badass with a gun, or because the dog looked threatening. Not only that - every other house also had a dog or more than one dog. Those dogs barked all the time, but didn't keep their owners from being burglarized. Ours was always watching, but only alarmed when something was really going on.

So yes, there is a difference in the breeds - but it isn't all in how hard they bite. If I were to find myself in such a neighborhood again, I would want one of the guard breeds. Maybe not a pit (they don't appeal to me as much as some others I've had or known) - but if you can ban pits, then the others will follow.

If you can't wrap your mind around how that relates to gun bans, then you just call me a moron again and we'll be on our way and let the audience think what they want.

Feed that BS to folks who have tried pulling a kid away from a pit as the child's life faded away.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If you can ban pits, then the others will follow.

Excellent! Exactly right. It's good to know there are a few of us here with our heads screwed on right.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by eyeball
Feed that BS to folks who have tried pulling a kid away from a pit as the child's life faded away.
You'd have just as much trouble doing that with a Boxer if a Boxer decided he wanted to take a child out. I've broken up lots of dog fights in my life, twice when one of them was a Boxer and once when one of them was a half-Boxer. Boxers are just about as determined to finish what they start as Pitbulls. Perhaps we should ban Boxers while we're at it, since the Boxer would make a fine substitute for the Pitbull in the 'hood once Pitbulls are banned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldn't. Just as I wouldn't be so crass as to knowingly discuss gun rights with a parent whose child had been shot by gang-bangers - unless they were pushing the agenda.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I wouldn't. Just as I wouldn't be so crass as to knowingly discuss gun rights with a parent whose child had been shot by gang-bangers - unless they were pushing the agenda.

Another bull's eye.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You'd have just as much trouble doing that with a Boxer if a Boxer decided he wanted to take a child out. I've broken up lots of dog fights in my life, twice when one of them was a Boxer and once when one of them was a half-Boxer. Boxers are just about as determined to finish what they start as Pitbulls. Perhaps we should ban Boxers while we're at it, since the Boxer would make a fine substitute for the Pitbull in the 'hood once Pitbulls are banned.

Yep. Broke up a boxer attack in my neighborhood earlier this year. That boxer had already killed one stray dog (I'm on the fence about that one). I let the owner know that the next time I see that particular dog out of his yard, it would be a dead boxer. That dude has ruined his dog. Dude must believe me, because it has been under very strict control ever since. Boxers climb high fences, btw - something I have never known a pit to do.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
True freedom would allow people to have loins, tigers and bears as pets.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep. Broke up a boxer attack in my neighborhood earlier this year. That boxer had already killed one stray dog (I'm on the fence about that one). I let the owner know that the next time I see that particular dog out of his yard, it would be a dead boxer. That dude has ruined his dog. Dude must believe me, because it has been under very strict control ever since. Boxers climb high fences, btw - something I have never known a pit to do.
As an aside, speaking of folks who get dogs and let them roam the neighborhood, there's a young couple with small children a couple of blocks from me that last year adopted a medium sized dog, then let it roam the neighborhood. Their fence is missing whole sections, so it's 100% useless, but I bet they claimed they had a fenced yard when asked by the shelter. Anyway, every time I walked my dog anywhere near that house we got harassed by this loose dog. Only once did the owners happen to notice it and come out to get their dog so I could proceed in peace. Most of the time it was a huge problem.

Eventually that dog disappeared. I assume it got run over or otherwise eliminated. Eventually, I saw a new medium sized dog wandering the neighborhood, and figured it was their new dog. I was right. I saw them with it in their yard and I commented on it, "New dog, eh?" "Yeah, we adopted her from the shelter." Me: "Oh .... good." Yeah, good that you have another dog to let roam loose in the neighborhood. smirk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True freedom would allow people to have loins, tigers and bears as pets.

They can't have pet loins? What about Ingwe? wink

Actually, there are probably more people with such exotic pets than you realize. But why stop with that comparison? I know a guy who keeps a bull that is ornery and deadly, right behind his house. I wouldn't go near it alone without a powerful weapon. He keeps it under control because he knows what will happen if he doesn't. Hmmmm...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (16gage, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 65 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,618
Posts18,492,662
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.