Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
A topic of conversation with my nephew Nicky at lunch time today was, who was your "Hero" as a child, and did it change as you became an adult ? If so, who is it ?

Someone you hold in high regard, someone who contributed to your life and that in turn has caused a positive impact on you, someone who made what looked impossible, possible.

Anyone care to share ?

Last edited by Miss Lynn; 07/22/14. Reason: Better explained for Hatari

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess you need to define "hero". Easy to say my dad and granddad. That hasn't changed though they are long gone.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pat McManus. I have modeled my life after him.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the line of "heroes don't come back" is most applicable.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outside of my family, there were basically 4 men who I, still to this day, try to learn from. They weren't famous or exceedingly wealthy, just solid friends of my father who were, for lack of a better word, steady. I could always count on their support (or a butt-kicking if needed). When I have faced decisions and taken the time to ask what these men would do in this situation, things have turned out much better than had I gone it alone. I don't envision myself ever becoming the men/man? that they or my father, grandfather, and uncle were, but they have all shaped my decision making and how I would like to react. They have kept my temper in check (kinda) and helped me be better.
Your question kind of brought it home to me how we influence others. All of these men knew that I loved and respected them, but they never knew how much I looked to them as an example. Two are now gone, as are my father and grandfather, but they will live on in some small measure through those whom they influenced.
Thanks for making me think - Denny

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Both of my grandfathers. While totally different personalities, They both instilled what I needed[looking back]

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have several Heroes....

My Maternal Grandmother and Grandfather are because on the day after I was born at the ages of 63 and 84 after having raised 22 children, they took me home with them to raise. My Mother had made it known if she was forced to take me home, she would take measures to end the obligation she had to me. I am honoured to be their granddaughter, I am honoured that they loved me enough to save me. I love them, they were, are, and will always be Heroes to me.

My Granddaughter Cavelle age 9, who recently donated her coveted locks to Angel Hair for Kids. For quite a while Cavelle has maintained her hair according to strict rules in order to make her donation. She is a very giving child, and looks for ways to give to her community and children less fortunate than herself. It is a part of her everyday life, and from what I see, it will continue to be a part of her life for years yet to come. She is pictured here holding her donated ponytails and sporting her new hairstyle. She will start again in September start to follow the rules of care for her hair in order to make a contribution again smile

[Linked Image]

My daughters, who through their bouts with MS and Grand Mal Seizures, and all that comes with those illnesses, have taught me that life is exactly what YOU make it, and nothing more. Brave young ladies, who let nothing get in their way.

My best friend who taught me fears were meant to be overcome and that you do not have to do it alone. That time spent in the mountains was as close to freedom and heaven as I can ever get here on earth. And that no matter what, no matter who, running away is never the answer.

My nearest and dearest from Alabama, who encourages me to fight every day, and reassures me that I will never be alone, ever, no matter how how bad it gets, and some days, it does get bad.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Without a doubt my uncle. Captured as a civilian and held as a Japanese POW for most of the war, he survived.While in prison camp he built a ham radio receiver in his wooden leg ( at a HUGE risk to himself and fellow POWs..) At any rate the incoming news on the radio was doled out and added so much to morale that once the camp was liberated the military awarded my uncle the Bronze Star, which IIRC is the highest award they can give a civilian. He was a graduate of Annapolis, and went on to become a Doctor and anesthesiologist.
My father, who's was likewise an exceptional individual, referred to my uncle as 'remarkable'�

I never heard him apply that term to anyone else�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always was, and always will be my parents. How they managed to keep 3 miscreants like us out of jail is beyond comprehension. Dad was a two time Purple Heart recipient, and one of the millions of heroes that just went out there and did their job. A harder worker I've never known. No one who ever employed my father got cheated. His work ethic was beyond reproach.

Mom was the glue that held our family together. Supper was on the table every night at 6 o'clock sharp. Lunches were packed at 6 a.m. Clothes ready to go for everyone. Bills were paid on time, and the house ran like a fine Swiss watch. One doesn't have to make a million dollars to be heroic. I can't fathom what it must have been like for her waiting to hear if dad had survived the next battle. The wives of WWII vets had to be some darned sturdy women. Mom sure was.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a beautiful young lady, thanks for sharing with us..

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All due respect, Miss Lynn (and that's considerable), the terms you meant to use are "role model" or "idol." These days, "hero" is so badly overused and misused that it has become nearly insignificant.

Most of the people mentioned above are excellent role models; they are folks to be idolized, imitated, and - ideally - lived up to. At least one is indeed a hero.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dr. Edwin E Boysen MD, a Harvard grad. A neighbor and dear friend of the family. He delivered all of us and I am named after him. I was not to be conceived given my Mother's prior birthing issues. Come hell and high water I made it. My parents were hard working lower middle class without higher education. Edwin saw something in me at a very early age and pushed me well beyond what my parents were capable of. It was clear that I was a math/science kid so once I hit middle school he required that I write 1000 words a week on any topic I chose for him to critique. When I hit high school it was 2000 words/week. He pushed me to be more than I ever thought I would be and he succeeded.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My dad....made me the guy I am today. He was tough as nails and demanded 110% from me all the time.

Served in the 75th Infantry Divison, Battle of the Bulge. Loved that ol fart.

RIP HDH

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My Dad and my wife. Dad raised a family of six through some tough times. Kept faith in me when I was going through growing pains. Taught me that hard work was expected and that when problems occur bear down and work your way through it. My wife looked after the family and house while I worked all over the place. The kids turned out great. The success in my personal life and work come back to my wife and Dad.

Hugh
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you make a list of your heroes then list why they are on your lists you will find you have just defined your core values.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
If you make a list of your heroes then list why they are on your lists you will find you have just defined your core values.

So true - so very true.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.