E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Elections matter.

No they don't.

I've read right here that there was absolutely no difference between Obama and McCain or Obama and Romney. I read right here that a dead cat would be just fine. You must be mistaken about that election thing. smirk

Dummy, don't you know Romney is a half black muzzy commie congenital lying pos sob? wink

Last edited by eyeball; 07/22/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I guess they will have to buy a rifle that actually hits what it's aimed at now... wink

Nonsense, you can hit a barn with it, as long as you're inside the barn... grin

There are at least a couple of US companies making AK's. The one I have will do about ~3 MOA with a cold barrel. I'be be interested in a milled AK just to see if the stiffer reeciver worked better, but I'm not gonna pay $1K+ for one of them.

Rock River announced a AR that takes AK mags some months ago, but I've never seen one for sale. Maybe they'll get off the stick now.

It's great fun to poke fun at an a.k., except very few have ever SHOT a a.k. What they have experienced is a kit gun put together by some importer, or builder here. And the quality is directly dependent on who that was. Few years ago i had the chance to fire a kvar a.k. with a replaced trigger job, next to a stag arms ar15a4. At 100 yards they were pretty darn close in that i call it minute of chest. The stag was the better shooter, on a bench, but the a.k. will run in the mud. Neither one of them are exactly a battle rifle at long distances nor were they intended to be. The genius of the A.K. is it's ability to run under crud circumstances. Remember the garand and it was not typically as issued a sub moa rifle as issued.
They both have their charms.
And, I DO remember those chinese rifles and what they USE to cost, vs. now. Same as with another rifle people like to poke fun at the S.K.S. Remember them at 70bucks or less? Try a price on a russian S.K.S. these days. To each his own, but the poodleshooter isn't the end to end all.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's easy to poke fun at AKs. They are a POS mostly. That I am alive today is testimony to their POSness.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I respect that Dan, but on the other hand a good friend of mine that was at Hue during tet to this day cusses the m16. His heart belongs to a m14.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've never wanted an AK and still don't want one. I don't care much for my AR either. I'm sure that they have their purpose, I can just get along without either. I'm more of an Marlin 336 type I guess. Wish I had bought a couple of good Marlin Texans rather than the AR...

I don't think that banning importation of AK's is going to hurt Russia much. I think it was a shot taken at American shooters by an administration that hasn't had much luck with its gun control legislation and the excuse used is that it was a sanction against Russia.

Harry
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I respect that Dan, but on the other hand a good friend of mine that was at Hue during tet to this day cusses the m16. His heart belongs to a m14.
i agree on the 14 being good. But I prefer the 16 platform.
And I own a milled polytech match 47 that is minute of 5 gallon bucket at 200 which sucks IMHO. Especially since I've seen as many jams with the 14 as 16. And I've rarely seen a 16 that's worse than moa. The 16 had faults early but not many today

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ron, not here to debate relative merits of different platforms around the planet. It is a discussion that won't be settled anytime soon. I recognize the influence of the AK around the world but its utility goes to a couple of very narrow advantages. It is cheap to produce and simple to operate. Classic path to arming third world countries IMO.

In context of past mass production and not that of current day boutique builders, it is inaccurate on the best of days. Acceptable dispersion for Soviet production is approximately twice that of the U.S. Milspec standard. The 7x39 round is demonstrably inferior in a great many regards. In times past the standard production for bullets was a copper jacket over steel core. It had poor ballistic characteristics and despite the steel core was quite challenged to penetrate much of anything. That observation comes from personal experience in the field. Don't know what standard issue is made of these days so that may be little more than a historical anecdote.

So, to the point. Blocking import of the AK may be the best thing to come down the pipe in awhile so far as I'm concerned. Buying American made has more advantages than a lot of folks realize in context of this discussion.

Let those of simple minds panic as far as I'm concerned.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Ron, not here to debate relative merits of different platforms around the planet. It is a discussion that won't be settled anytime soon. I recognize the influence of the AK around the world but its utility goes to a couple of very narrow advantages. It is cheap to produce and simple to operate. Classic path to arming third world countries IMO.

In context of past mass production and not that of current day boutique builders, it is inaccurate on the best of days. Acceptable dispersion for Soviet production is approximately twice that of the U.S. Milspec standard. The 7x39 round is demonstrably inferior in a great many regards. In times past the standard production for bullets was a copper jacket over steel core. It had poor ballistic characteristics and despite the steel core was quite challenged to penetrate much of anything. That observation comes from personal experience in the field. Don't know what standard issue is made of these days so that may be little more than a historical anecdote.

So, to the point. Blocking import of the AK may be the best thing to come down the pipe in awhile so far as I'm concerned. Buying American made has more advantages than a lot of folks realize in context of this discussion.

Yup, never wanted one of those pieces of sh*t, or an SKS, mostly because of where they came from and who used them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mirage243

Yup, never wanted one of those pieces of sh*t, or an SKS, mostly because of where they came from and who used them.

Understand that, but only one question. Coming from my side of the fence as a long time military gun collector. I guess you would feel the same about a lot of the american made bolt action rifles based upon the mauser action, given who used them in a couple of wars. And to who we as a country had to pay money for patent infringement?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's hoping that this latest BS craze pulls some of the leaches off the .22 ammo tit.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I've had a few of them, but always got rid of them pretty quick. IMHO, they're only fit to be used as boat anchors.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
am not seeing much of a "panic" prices across the board are staying pretty static.
ammo is where the movement is.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Russia is one of the smaller exporters of AK's. The Bulgarian AK's are the absolute equal of the Russian rifles and generally around the same price. We still get a lot from Romania, and while not as pretty, they're still good rifles.

What I'll miss is the cheap plinkin ammo.

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Politically, this has absolutely nothing to do with punishing Russia and/or Putin, it is all about the liberal gun control agenda, a way for Obummer to jab a stick in the eye of American gun enthusiasts.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork
Politically, this has absolutely nothing to do with punishing Russia and/or Putin, it is all about the liberal gun control agenda, a way for Obummer to jab a stick in the eye of American gun enthusiasts.

That is correct.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knock the first one down and take his weapons/ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Understand that, but only one question. Coming from my side of the fence as a long time military gun collector. I guess you would feel the same about a lot of the american made bolt action rifles based upon the mauser action, given who used them in a couple of wars. And to who we as a country had to pay money for patent infringement?

I think you would be guessing wrong. Quality is where you find it. Kalashnikov designed something that borrowed on a German design(SIG-44)in the field during WW2. No foul there as far as I'm concerned. My view is based purely on the AK and its performance. I do not give it good marks. I don't give a flip who built it or why, nor do I care about other platforms in other wars, who used what or much of anything else in that sense. Not sure what patents have to do with the conversation regardless.

Let the masses panic I say. It will do them good.

Dan

PS: I hated the -14 in boot. Holding it to your front with extended arms blows.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
Absolutely, this is just opportunistic. Sales of rifles and ammo isn't enough that Russia will even notice, let alone make a change in what they do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kalashnikov designed something that borrowed on a German design(SIG-44)in the field during WW2.
The AK has more influence from the M1 Garand than the MP-44. The MP-44 uses a tilting bolt, where the AK is a rotating bolt like the Garand. The AK trigger group is pure Garand. The gas system / recoil spring arrangement is Garand turned upside down.

The overall exterior package shows some influence of the MP-44, no doubt there. But inside, it's all Garand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave in to the panic! sold my AK for a 250.00 profit and bought a 189G with the money. giggle!
much rather have the guide gun.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.