Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a job interview tomorrow morning and I'm hoping someone can provide some inside scoop on the town, it's inhabitants, and other such things. My previous search through google/campfire proved positive, albeit google street view was scary/humbling/interesting.

Thanks!

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to elk hunt there every year. If snow comes during the season you have a tag for, elk everywhere. No snow in the higher elevations then there are also no elk to harvest. The hunting seasons, when I was there, turned a rather small ranching community into a bustle of activity with Orange clad hunters from many different states converging. Lots of late season elk cow tags given. The Holiday Inn there had, when I was going there 20 or so years ago, a walk in cooler for the animals taken by the hunters staying there, and was dog friendly.

Countryside looked to me to be mostly sagebruss with a few grassy valleys (Migration routes) and some hill ranges that held elk almost all of the time. Surrounded by a couple of large ranches with good guided elk hunting opportunities.

Seemed to me that the economic base's were ranching, mining, and a bit of tourism. But, I could easily have missed one or more and it has been a long time now.

I would love to find another pay to hunt private land deal that I could get onto in that region, those were some fun hunts! Elk Sniping at its best.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I've got a job interview tomorrow morning and I'm hoping someone can provide some inside scoop on the town, it's inhabitants, and other such things. My previous search through google/campfire proved positive, albeit google street view was scary/humbling/interesting.

Thanks!
Only went through Craig once, circa '82ish.. And I thought the same thing - scary main drag indeed.. Looked almost like a ghost town - saw nobody, but felt eyes on me the entire time I drove through.. IIRC it's not far from the old Climax mine.. I'm sure it's a lot different now so I wish you luck sir..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I hunted deer there in the late 70's a few times and, frankly, missed (literally) opportunities at toad mule deer as a finger pullin' 7 Mag dumazz high school kid. All I remember was there wasn't much but hunters at that time of the year.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It's my home town, now I live in Meeker, just south on 13.
Check out OLD WEST HUNTING, with Ted Myers. He's a personal friend, an honest guy, though his place is in Routt County.
Craig isn't the town I grew up in, but it's one of the best ones in CO, for having some size.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
While I'm at it- Craig changed very much in the 70s- I left when the first stack was up on the power plant. Much larger percentage of "seedier" folks than there used to be. But, having lived in 5 different states before coming back to the general area, I'll say there are still plenty of fine folks there, and it beats a lot of anywhere else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Thanks!

I've been there, and to AL. I can't imagine this even being a question; I'd already be packing my stuff.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Craig has grown into a decent small city. However, if you need more in the way of shopping, medical care, etc., it's a long way to anywhere else with more of those things. Outdoor opportunities abound, though, if those are important to you.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've bowhunted elk north of Craig since the late 80s. It's a nice little town and Steamboat ain't too far if you need something a bit larger.

I love that area. Go for it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I love that area a lot, but it's what somebody else said. Also kind of like northern arizona, new mexico. It's fine until you need medical help, then it's oh oh time.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Even without decent medical facilities, I'd move to the Steamboat/Hayden/Craig corridor in a second if I could. You've got outstanding fishing in the Yampa, and are in the arguably best 100 mile area in Colorado to get an elk. Probably won't be a NM or AZ monster, but it will feed you and your family for the year.

If I ever hit it big that area of Colorado is on my short list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems like it would be a little slow for a youngster.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Climax Mine ain't anywhere near Craig. I'm driving through Craig right now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Craig has a brand-new hospital; one of the big-wigs on the board also happens to be one of the area's best outfitters. Craig isn't Grand Junction, thank heaven, but it's a pretty going concern, for a relatively low population density. What folks from elsewhere don't grasp about NW CO is the VAST amount of PUBLIC LAND- Rio Blanco County, which neighbors Moffat to the
south, is 70% public land.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
who is the bigwig?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
who is the bigwig?

I was wondering the same.

Dick Dodds maybe?

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 07/24/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had friend who was an Elk guide there. Another friend owned a furniture store there. Have been there many times. I worked for the company that owned the coal mine that supplied the coal for the power plant and visited there many times when I was working in Denver. I really like the area but it s been many years since there. Elk is definitely one of the drawing cards.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The bigwig-no insult intended- is Don Myers. The Gil-Mar Ranch,
up Williams Fork out of Hamilton. He has run highly successful hunts on his own and leased property, for many years.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey, zimhunter- was your furniture store-owner Bill L?

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had the opportunity to use the Craig Hospital ER last year. Nice folks , small hospital, and not much high tech equipment.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.