Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by FreeMe
You may have guessed that I am partial to Yamahas. A good friend of mine's parents owned the local Yamaha shop. They tended to give me some really good deals.

The old Virago 750 got a lot of bad press for it's lack of power. But I found that to be one of the most relaxing and comfortable bikes for long-distance riding. Pretty much trouble free (for a time) and great fuel mileage for a 750. Too bad about the starter motor problem they developed with age....
About 6 months ago Consumer Reports released a 3 year study on motorcycle reliability and Yamaha came out #1...which surprised me, I thought it would be Honda (which came out as #2)

Another big surprise, Harley Davidson was above BMW. BMW was well down on the list.

I've been a Yamaha man my whole life, and Yamaha's have been VERY good to me. Just by chance I find myself with two Kawasaki's, and while I'd prefer Yamaha's I have to say both of these Kawi's are very good bikes. My '94 KLX has had a hard life and it just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny.

My experience is that there probably isn't much of a spread between #1 and #2. Harley over BMW - that is a surprise. I wonder what happened.....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kevin, the demise of the once booming dual-sport class is certainly a bit depressing to me. The buying public just doesn't seem to be all that keen on the class - so the producers aren't putting money into R&D for them, and the options available are painfully limited. At a time when I was really wanting to upgrade my ride, there was actually nothing in the new market to satisfy me. It really is a shame, when you think of what the DS bike with today's technology could be.

If I ever get seriously back into riding, it will likely be on another big-bore DS single.

If Yamaha would just build a street legal WR-450 they'd OWN the single cylinder Dual Sport category. The KTM would still have it a little out-classed, but the KTM doesn't have Yamaha reliability.

Dual Sport bikes are just so much fun. Ride on the road and if you see a dirt trail, then have at it....

Agreed!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by salsola
My first and current ride. '73 CL350. Rebuilt the engine last winter and it runs great. Perfect backroad rambler:

[Linked Image]

Salsola, I had one of those. My very first DP bike, in fact. It was a great bike and I enjoyed every minute on it. Nice to see one in such good shape! Same color as mine, btw.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You may have guessed that I am partial to Yamahas. A good friend of mine's parents owned the local Yamaha shop. They tended to give me some really good deals.

The old Virago 750 got a lot of bad press for it's lack of power. Pretty much trouble free (for a time) and great fuel mileage for a 750. Too bad about the starter motor problem they developed with age....

That's what happened to mine. My favorite old bike was a 250 Yamaha Enduro that I had engine work done on...it gave the Huskys a run for their money & was street legal. I took that bike on many a weekend trip to the hills...my next favorite was my Honda Elsinore...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
[Linked Image]

I'd wager that a lot of us began our motorbike riding career on one of those. smile

look at #3 and #4 with those fixed footpegs upfront. You'd be leaning around a corner and those things would dig in and spin you around like a tea cup ride

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by salsola
My first and current ride. '73 CL350. Rebuilt the engine last winter and it runs great. Perfect backroad rambler:

[Linked Image]
That's just so sweet!!

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My experience is that there probably isn't much of a spread between #1 and #2. Harley over BMW - that is a surprise. I wonder what happened.....
Just my .02...

Just like the German cars, they're going so heavy into technology that reliability is suffering greatly. The Consumer Reports study said that 1 out of 3 BMW owners can expect a major repair in 3 years. 1 in 4 for Harley.

The least reliable of the Japanese bikes was Suzuki and they were 1 in 10.

The thing is, with BMW or any of the Japanese bikes, if you do have a major repair, it's going to cost big time. My one real complaint with Japanese bikes is the cost of parts.

Harley prices for parts are much lower. Since both my Kawi's share the same carb as the Harley's, I buy all my carb parts from the Harley Davidson dealers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to see some love for the XR Harleys here. This winter I am HOPING to spend whatever I make from selling my LH Weatherby Mk V Deluxe 300WBY making more changes to my formerly XR883, now a 1200. Goal will be to make it look and hopefully perform a lot like the old XR750's with majorly bobbed fender, dual intakes, Stainless Steel tuned exhauset etc. Main difference being mine will be a big inch motor, and I am not certain how to get the dry weight down to 380lbs. That is quite the diet, but we will do our best. 284luvr from here has sent me the recipe for a streetable, durable, 10 second Sportster motor. Maybe we can get away with over 400lbs with such a beastly powerplant and a larger (16 inch 200 series) rear tire and still have a bike that will run on the big flat track OK. We shall see.

GunGeek, I have been e-mailing with flat track racing legend Joe Kopp. He now owns a flat track North of here a bit and has invited me to throw some C class racing tires on my bike and give it a go up there. My health and size XXL frame make this a difficult proposition, but perhaps YOU would like to take my hot rod around the 1 Mile hard pack track a time or two.... Let me know.

They will have some all day practice days in late spring, and I am hoping to have my bike all dieted down pretty skinny and roaring with about 150HP by then. I just re Dyno'ed it a week ago with the latest mods and we are right at 100 at the crankcase, with pretty mild stuff aboard. I did not go the Turbo route like I was planning to do, yet. Still might.

This bike handles and canyon carves well already. Loads of fun, but I am anxious to see what can be made of it over the winter when we start removing and tossing parts plus re do the motor again, 88 cubic inches style grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been riding a BMW for primary transportation the last four and a half years - no doubt they have their ups and downs, but nothing else I've seen has tempted me enough to swap brands.

I did the club/rally thing in the first couple of years, and got to be around quite a few beemer guys, one thing to take into consideration when hearing complaints from them is most are OCD anal retentive types and will complain to high heaven over even the most nit-picky problems wink

Won't claim they have a lock on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if BMW riders don't put more miles on than most...
I've put an additional 41,000 on mine on top of the 28,000
it had when I got it, and I don't get to ride as much as a lot of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
I've been riding a BMW for primary transportation the last four and a half years - no doubt they have their ups and downs, but nothing else I've seen has tempted me enough to swap brands.

I did the club/rally thing in the first couple of years, and got to be around quite a few beemer guys, one thing to take into consideration when hearing complaints from them is most are OCD anal retentive types and will complain to high heaven over even the most nit-picky problems wink

Won't claim they have a lock on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if BMW riders don't put more miles on than most...

You make a very valid point. Some types of people, riders etc. are more, shall we say "particular" to be nice, about everything.
Interesting that Suzuki ranked kind of low, that is all Sherri has had so far is three Suzuki's and they heave been terrific so far. And she rides hers a lot, too.

Speaking of all that, I need to hop onto my orange hot rod bike and take some lunch to my asphaltangel.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Glad to see some love for the XR Harleys here. This winter I am HOPING to spend whatever I make from selling my LH Weatherby Mk V Deluxe 300WBY making more changes to my formerly XR883, now a 1200. Goal will be to make it look and hopefully perform a lot like the old XR750's with majorly bobbed fender, dual intakes, Stainless Steel tuned exhauset etc. Main difference being mine will be a big inch motor, and I am not certain how to get the dry weight down to 380lbs. That is quite the diet, but we will do our best. 284luvr from here has sent me the recipe for a streetable, durable, 10 second Sportster motor. Maybe we can get away with over 400lbs with such a beastly powerplant and a larger (16 inch 200 series) rear tire and still have a bike that will run on the big flat track OK. We shall see.

GunGeek, I have been e-mailing with flat track racing legend Joe Kopp. He now owns a flat track North of here a bit and has invited me to throw some C class racing tires on my bike and give it a go up there. My health and size XXL frame make this a difficult proposition, but perhaps YOU would like to take my hot rod around the 1 Mile hard pack track a time or two.... Let me know.

They will have some all day practice days in late spring, and I am hoping to have my bike all dieted down pretty skinny and roaring with about 150HP by then. I just re Dyno'ed it a week ago with the latest mods and we are right at 100 at the crankcase, with pretty mild stuff aboard. I did not go the Turbo route like I was planning to do, yet. Still might.

This bike handles and canyon carves well already. Loads of fun, but I am anxious to see what can be made of it over the winter when we start removing and tossing parts plus re do the motor again, 88 cubic inches style grin
You are building such a bad ass bike; I just LOVE it.

380lbs is pretty light for a bike with that kind of HP. 100HP is the perfect bike in my book, and your bike while not in the same class as a GSXR Suzuki, I'm betting is a VERY good handler in the twistys. But then again, your bike looks like a MOTORCYCLE and the GSXR looks like a race bike. And I'll bet you don't have a sore back when you get off of your bike after a long ride.

If you get that bike up to 150 HP, I'm betting you'd actually beat mine in a drag race. Mine is 175 HP, but it's like 530lbs, so I think that would put you at more thrust to weight than my bike. I'm here to tell you, I personally think my bike is over-powered.

I know you do a good deal of drag racing, so maybe the extra HP would be welcome. But I would think that 100HP on that particular bike would be one big bag of fun.

I've never raced on a flat track before...and I'd hate to crash your bike; it's just too pretty. I could put some flat track tires on my KLX-650 to learn how to do the flat track stuff...then maybe.

I did some motocross yesterday. Got tired of a kid on a RM250 eating me up, so I opened up the throttle and gave him the business. But after 3 laps of eating him up, I was whipped...and I think the 16 year old was just warming up. I'm SO sore today...I really showed him!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun Geek, LAFFIN with ya! Just a single day of drag racing, on the days when I feel up to even THAT, whips my butt for days. But in my case there are reasons.

Grinnin about your little motocross experience..... When I lined up against that guy with the Ninja 1100 last Saturday, I had probably a similar grit and drive in my old bod. Adrenaline or SOMETHING at work, I was FOCUSED as I just HAD to beat that Japanese motorcycle! I launched hard, had a .030 reaction time, kept her straight, and shifted while the motor was revving 6,000+RPM without letting off off the fuel, managing a wicked looking wheelie in my shift to second. And after all that, BARELY beat him. I know the feeling!

Lets talk more about this flat track stuff when I come down to have you help me tune up my 10mm. RE flat track racing, If you wait until after I get a Kidney Transplant, you wont get to touch my bike cause I will be ON it!

MARK grin

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite

I think you're right, BMW riders are guys who put serious miles on their bikes. Just look at the mileage on used BMW's, then look at the mileage on the same year anything else.

It's funny, you see more high mileage Harley's and Bimmers than Japanese bikes (one exception is the Gold Wings); even though the Japanese bikes tend to be better put together.

I think the reason for that is style...People buy Japanese bikes to learn enough to get them to a Harley or a BMW. Then they sell their Japanese bikes. So I tend to think the reason you don't see more high mileage Japanese bikes is because they eventually end up in the hands of someone who crashes and totals them. Whereas Harley and BMW riders get that out of their systems before they plunk down for a Harley or BMW.

I'm not into cruiser bikes, but I think Harley's along with being a genuine piece of Americana, are just stunningly beautiful bikes.

BMW's are a joy to ride; they have it all. They perform SO well, the engines are SO smooth and they just make sport-touring such a joy. Their customers expect them to be on the leading edge of technology, and often their on the bleeding edge. But when they're working (which is most of the time), it's one of the nicest rides there are.

Maybe the Bimmers aren't the most reliable, but they're certainly the most desirable. They have THE full touring bike, THE sport tourer, THE adventure bike, and these days, THE full on sport bike. The only market they can't seem to break into is the cruiser / Harley look alike market. They have tried but it hasn't worked out well.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gun Geek, LAFFIN with ya! Just a single day of drag racing, on the days when I feel up to even THAT, whips my butt for days. But in my case there are reasons.

Grinnin about your little motocross experience..... When I lined up against that guy with the Ninja 1100 last Saturday, I had probably a similar grit and drive in my old bod. Adrenaline or SOMETHING at work, I was FOCUSED as I just HAD to beat that Japanese motorcycle! I launched hard, had a .030 reaction time, kept her straight, and shifted while the motor was revving 6,000+RPM without letting off off the fuel, managing a wicked looking wheelie in my shift to second. And after all that, BARELY beat him. I know the feeling!

Lets talk more about this flat track stuff when I come down to have you help me tune up my 10mm. RE flat track racing, If you wait until after I get a Kidney Transplant, you wont get to touch my bike cause I will be ON it!

MARK grin
I look forward to it Mark; can't wait. I'm prayin for you and that kidney transplant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MARK grin
I look forward to it Mark; can't wait. I'm prayin for you and that kidney transplant.

Thanks, see you soon. And yes, a 500lb bike with right at 100HP is loads of fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One could always get a Honda Shadow and have the best of both worlds - V-twin, classic look plus reliability.

[Linked Image]

Somehow, though, having a "Harrey Davisson" just seems wrong... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harleys are one of those things that I like to look at and appreciate for what they are - but never desired to own one (except for the earlier mentioned custom XR750).

One of my co-workers is a die-hard Harley rider and has been for a long time. He's had some beautiful bikes. He's getting ready to retire now and will be spending a lot more time on the road, and guess what he showed up with recently........a Goldwing. wink

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
[Linked Image]

I'd wager that a lot of us began our motorbike riding career on one of those. smile

Some of us have rediscovered them,..although they've been brought up to speed, so to speak.

My current Mini Bike is a 650, weighs 600 lbs, has a 63" wheel base, is water cooled, fuel injected, has dual pot, triple disc brakes and an electronically controlled CVT.

Just twist and go,...all the way to 110 mph and doesn't waste any time getting there.

Cruises very comfortably at 90.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another bike that intrigued me but I never had was the Honda v-4 Interceptor. I got to see some of those performing at Laguna Seca when they were new, and was very impressed. They also had a sound very much all their own. I still think the in-line v-4 was about the best idea for a road bike motor there ever was.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
[Linked Image]

Some of us have rediscovered them,..although they've been brought up to speed, so to speak.

My current Mini Bike is a 650, weighs 600 lbs, has a 63" wheel base, is water cooled, fuel injected, and has dual pot, triple disc brakes.

Just twist and go,...all the way to 110 mph.

Cruises very comfortably at 90.

[Linked Image]

The Bergman is a cool concept. I keep thinking it would be very practical, and probably an enjoyable ride.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.