-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-man-80-to-face-charges-for-fatally-shooting-burglar/

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Police in Southern California say they are determining whether to arrest an 80-year-old man who fatally shot an unarmed burglar as she fled his home, and after the man said she told him she was pregnant, reports CBS Los Angeles.

Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell said Thursday that Tom Greer was cooperating with the investigation into the burglary and shooting death of 28-year-old Andrea Miller, according to the station. However, he would not say whether charges against the elderly man will be recommended to prosecutors.

"Basically, you can defend yourself if you're in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death," McDonnell said. "Based on the information we have, and what we can determine between now and the time we present this to the district attorney, we'll make the determination as to whether it was reasonable, [Greer's] actions at either point."

McDonnell said an autopsy will provide the answer as to whether Miller really was pregnant.

Authorities also said that another accused burglar, the woman's accomplice, 26-year-old Gus Adams has been arrested on suspicion of murder for his alleged part in the crime that led to Miller's death, according to the station.

Greer told homicide detectives that he walked in on Miller and Adams while the burglary was in progress and that he was attacked by the suspects, who tackled him to the ground.

"While the suspects continued to burglarize the home, [Greer] was able to retrieve a gun from another room in the house. He returned to confront the suspects and fired his gun at them while they were still inside his house," said Chief McDonnell. Police said Greer followed the suspects as they fled the house with what they had stolen and fatally shot Miller outside in an alley.

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!,'" Greer told a reporter with KNBC Wednesday. "And I shot her anyway."

Police said both burglars were unarmed and that Greer told officers the same couple had robbed him at least twice previously. Investigators said Miller had a long criminal background, according to CBS Los Angeles.

While authorities continue to investigation the case, the station reports that Greer, who suffered a broken collarbone in the incident, is staying with family and keeping a low profile.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lets hope not, although I don't hold those hopes very high.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This guy might be OK. He was in a fight with the burglars and had his collarbone broken and is 80 years old. His lawyer could argue that he was having cognitive problems do to the stress of the fight when he gave is description of the events. That while the girl may have been shot in the back, she turned just as he fired.

So I think he has a good chance of beating this wrap.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Mr. Greer might be screwed, but the bitch that brought this whole sorry scene to fruition, certainly is.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think it will be his comments that get him in to trouble. I don't think he was wrong, I just think that the libs in CA won't be able to help themselves

I hear the interview on the blaze radio today and he said "she said don't shoot, I'm pregnant but I shot her anyway" or something along those lines.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I hear the interview on the blaze radio today and he said "she said don't shoot, I'm pregnant but I shot her anyway" or something along those lines.

Pregnancy didn't stop her from breaking his collarbone.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it will be his comments that get him in to trouble. I don't think he was wrong, I just think that the libs in CA won't be able to help themselves

I agree with the above. With the caveat, that his age, may save him. Eiether way, i get the impression he really doesn't care

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they use the "imminent danger" standard mentioned-and she was running away from him in an alley he had chased her to-yeah, he's screwed.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Explain to the liberals on the jury that it was just a double abortion, one well timed and the other really late term.
They should be OK with that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree, but i'm also willing to bet the jury is going to take his age and the beating into account.. How would you feel if someone beat your grandpa

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pat85
Pregnancy didn't stop her from breaking his collarbone.

Yup, how about an "I'm pregnant Gus, I shouldn't be doing this sh**."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not if I was on the jury.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Surely there will be one out of twelve with some sense. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's California, Long Beach California. I think he was well within his rights to kill her but who knows what a jury will find. Hopefully he doesn't get charged and he won't have to worry about it

If a person break into a home and beats the homeowner and that person is then killed then I think that person got exactly what they deserved. Let's hope CA doesn't do anything to him. If he were in TX he would be golden

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Unarmed and running away is his problem. It is not that they both didn't deserve it but under the CA law the way I understand it he could well be charged and found guilty. This will be one to watch and I wish him the best.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He will walk after costing the tax payers a chit load of legal fees, a 80 year old man going to prison , it would cost the state more for medical and special meals than to just let him stay home and die in the next few years , he doesn't have much time left anyway . If i was him and i was sent to prison, i would spend most of my time in the prison hospital.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's California, Long Beach California. I think he was well within his rights to kill her but who knows what a jury will find. Hopefully he doesn't get charged and he won't have to worry about it

If a person break into a home and beats the homeowner and that person is then killed then I think that person got exactly what they deserved. Let's hope CA doesn't do anything to him. If he were in TX he would be golden

I'm not sure he'd be "golden" even in Texas. IMHO, she got what she deserved...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Look at the bright he not only got rid of a thief , he got rid of her future little thief. Karma

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A reminder for the 'talkative':

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wish him the best of luck & would recommend he get an extra S.S. check for doing the deed, BUT probably the best offer he'll get from the DA will be voluntary manslaughter.

If he isn't charged, it'll be a miracle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,085
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.