Campfire Outfitter

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Our cat lived to be 20. He was an outdoor cat most of the time and pretty cagey. He fought off foxes at least three times that we know of, but at his age lost a step and they finally got him. One time we found a tuft of fox hair on the back patio, with a broken off cat claw in it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gee , i'm gonna fence my yard, then pussy will be safe.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, Wiley went over that 6' fence like it wasn't even there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't know yotes would jump fences like that. Poor suburban cat probably thought the yote was just another dog, no big deal, and hesitated too long. My old male cat isn't especially afraid of dogs. He'd be toast with a yote.

We've a few yotes in this area, great horned owls, and cara caras. There's now a bunch of cottontails, too, but I'd still hate to let a cat run loose.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
tex n cal;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you doing acceptably well.

In our part of BC and for all I know most of the province excepting on Vancouver Island where no coyotes are known to exist - YET - we all fight running battles with the wily canines.

We see them regularly in the city where our family works and the girl's schools are/were - Penticton, BC which has a population of roughly 35,000 give or take.

The coyotes are just a small segment of the urban wildlife interaction issues folks have here, for instance they figure Penticton has a growing population of at least 200 mule deer that never go into areas where they'll be hunted, and of course along with the coyotes there are bobcats, raccoons, marmots and then seasonally black bears and the occasional cougar as well. That's not mentioning the birds of prey that we've got either.

Anyway, our 3 rural cats are paranoid of anything in the yard that isn't them - which is why they've made it to 10 years plus. The not so paranoid cats just vanish one night and become costly memories for our family since we get them fixed early on.

Coyotes are an amazing survivor and I've got the greatest respect for them as such, but that doesn't mean I don't have a record of the last half dozen in that I caught running too slow each being the recipient of exactly one Velocitor round either. wink

For those interested in such minutia, in my personal experience the Velocitor .22 round has no peer when it comes to one shot stops on BC sized coyotes.

All the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne,

Interesting report on the success of a Velocitor on coyotes. My success is a little different. Two coyotes required a second bullet. First hit splashed. A third coyote - one shot. All shots less than 50 yards.

Subsequent coyotes (1/2 dozen)shot with a 22lr have been one shot kills with a Remington VIPER. I don't waste these bullets for plinking...only have 2 and 1/2 50 count boxes left. grin

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here on the ranch we have drop off cats show up once in a while. one big Min coon cat has lasted for 19 years now. she has out lived probably 5 generations of yotes. then there is a pure black cat that has been around 10 years now. he wants to be friendly but can't quite work up the nerve. he brings mice and leaves them on the porch.
we are in the midst of selling the place so I hope he has a good future. I tend to think he has a better one then I do. wife is dragging me into town.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Savage 72 in .22WMR has culled more than a few here, I too am running low on the good stuff it likes though. Armscore 40 grain jacketed soft points, I bought 2 bricks some 10 years ago and have only 3 50 count boxes left. They were $19.95 a brick then. Saw some in a gun shop the other day but had to pass at $24.95 a box of 50!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I didn't know yotes would jump fences like that.

So will foxes, I've seen it several times right in the back yard.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We just put down our elderly cat. He was full grown when we got him and we had him 14 years.

He survived two kinds of bears, lions, wolves, coyotes, foxes, coons and rattlesnakes.

Once we spotted a fox out the window coming down the fence line with a rat or something in its mouth. Then we saw the old cat sitting in a place that was in the direct path of the fox. The cat stared at the fox as the fox veered around the cat. It was pretty cool to watch.

In the end the cat couldn't beat old age though. He sent a lot of mice to mouse heaven.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here kitty kitty.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have seen them walking along the top of the block fences in the neighborhood. It just lets them shop with a view!

My sister lives in Prescott and when she lived in Yavapai hills she put her dog out to do his business one night. No sooner had she shut the door than he was scratching to get in. She opened the door to scold him and he rushed in. She put him back out and turned the light on to make sure he went. A lion immediately pounced on him and then jumped the fence. She was feeling pretty guilty there for a while.

I would see posters up occasionally with a photo of the lost cats and a reward for their return. I told my wife that they were just obituaries!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.