Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of going to a smaller truck for my weekend jaunts for squirrel hunting, fishing, scouting, and general sightseeing. The cost of gas for a weekend trip for a little shooting/fishing at around $100-$200 is cutting into my time in the woods and I'm thinking I could justify it more easily if I had a smaller truck with better gas mileage.

I've been looking at Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon Crew cab 4x4. With a MPG rating of 18/24, they get twice what my 2003 3/4 ton Chev Silverado is getting and they look pretty comfortable inside. I like having the crew cab for adults to ride in back if necessary and to put fishing/hunting supplies for easy access while searching out likely targets or fishing holes.

Anyone else in this boat and is looking or has taken the plunge?

I'll be keeping the Silverado to pull my travel trailer and other heavy duties, but I'm thinking the gas savings alone from weekend trips and driving to work will make any payments I may need to take on- these midsized trucks are really holding their prices!

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do a spreadsheet and you might see differently in regards to savings on gas prices vs. payments.

Add in depreciation, taxes regustration and insurance and I don't see it penciling out.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How many gallons of gas can you buy for the price of a new truck plus insurance? Unless you just want a new one, it'll cost you FAR more than the extra gas for the big one. If you just want one, that's another story.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have had little Toyotas since 1984.. Had a couple small Chevy's
before, but they were junk at 60,000. Have a Tundra for my travel trailer... You have a good plan..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Fuel mileage in my 1996 F250 Crew cab sucks but the truck is paid for. Hunting pards and I share fuel expenses so it is tolerable.

Don't need the added expense of a new truck payment, taxes, license plates and higher insurance rates ..so nope

Good luck in your endeavor though.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Why would you want to give any money to General Motors??? Buy American.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I went from 20 years of full size p/u's to a Tacoma in 2011. I have no regrets.............

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I think the difference in mileage between a small truck and a 1/2 ton is just not enough to justify it. Also, the Colorado/Canyon had a pretty poor reputation for quality, at least out here.
A 1/2 ton with a decent engine gets about the same mileage with better comfort and power. Toyota's may be a different story, haven't had enough experience with them to say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I went from 20 years of full size p/u's to a Tacoma in 2011. I have no regrets.............

I had a small Toyota 4x4 with a 22RE engine and 5 speed std tranny. Got it used with over 100,000 miles
and beat the hell out of it for 5 years with out any problems. It would not stop running.
For some reason crazy traded the Toyota for a Pontiac Firebird. That Pontiac looked great ... but was a total POS.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

I just purchased my 5th Tacoma since 2000. I don't need a full size truck. The Tacoma fits my needs perfectly.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking to buy a used truck in the $9K- $11K range. If I don't cash it out, I'm looking at around $150-$175 payments for around 3-4 years. That will easily be paid by gas savings.

As far as Reviews, I've looked at reviews of the Colorados and they are as good as any truck I've checked, with very few complaints- especially with the I5 engine. The last two years they were made 2011/2012, they had a 5.3 V8 available, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
A new model is coming out this fall with a V6 and a year later a world diesel will be available that is now sold in overseas markets.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Sheister
Thinking of going to a smaller truck for my weekend jaunts for squirrel hunting, fishing, scouting, and general sightseeing. The cost of gas for a weekend trip for a little shooting/fishing at around $100-$200 is cutting into my time in the woods and I'm thinking I could justify it more easily if I had a smaller truck with better gas mileage.

I've been looking at Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon Crew cab 4x4. With a MPG rating of 18/24, they get twice what my 2003 3/4 ton Chev Silverado is getting and they look pretty comfortable inside. I like having the crew cab for adults to ride in back if necessary and to put fishing/hunting supplies for easy access while searching out likely targets or fishing holes.

Anyone else in this boat and is looking or has taken the plunge?

I'll be keeping the Silverado to pull my travel trailer and other heavy duties, but I'm thinking the gas savings alone from weekend trips and driving to work will make any payments I may need to take on- these midsized trucks are really holding their prices!

Bob

I have done the same thing. I have a 2008 silverado 4x4 with the 5.3 that loves the fuel. I drive a lot for work and it was eating me alive. I need it to haul my tractor/bush hog or trailer with wood which it does nicely.

I searched for a year for a smaller grocery getter before I found a 2004 std cab colorado. 4cyl, 5sp, AC and cruise. No other power options. I get 25 mpg and don't regret it a bit. We drive it into town which keeps the miles off the wifes vehicle also. I give $4500 with 124k miles and have not had any issues yet. This is my second colorado. The first one was a 2004 z85 4x4 crecab that I bought with 2100 mi and sold with 100k. Never had an issue with it. I like them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't see how the math will work unless you pay cash for the new, smaller truck. I just got a used 4 x 4 Tacoma with a 2.4L. 2 inch lift and 32 inch BFG ATs, 5 speed manual. 21.52 MPG on regular gas on a 230 mile road trip yesterday. 60 - 70 mph with the air conditioner on ...

This is a daily driver, however, with no other trucks in the equation. I don't own a trailer or need a heavy puller. No kids at home. I also don't drive to work, so my 'daily driver' is really a 'pleasure' vehicle. So a slightly different scenario for sure.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't justify it by what you posted... but you can go out and buy a new truck if that's what you want.. You will save no money by doing so. frown

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's funny how much time we spend debating guns, backpacks and binoculars when none of these impact hunting success as much as scouting -- Which is directly influenced by the cost of gas ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no thanks , i will keep my Tundra

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought my first Toyota 4X4 in 1987, have not been without one since. Sold my then 3/4 ton Chevy, as a big truck wasn't needed at the time. Figured half the payment was paid by savings in gas.
For work and to haul cab over campers, I have owned a 4X4 Chevy and Dodge since, yet always kept a little truck for use when a full size was not needed.
I like full size except for parking lots, etc. and feeding them, have found I just don't need one 99% of the time. I do have a trailer I can haul over a ton on if needed and a V6 Tacoma will do that just fine.

Edit to add, the Toyotas have all been better offroad 4X4's than the either of the full size rigs.

Last edited by 700LH; 07/27/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wrestled with this issue myself for a while. I eventually bought a 2014 F150 S-crew with Ecoboost. The previous F150 is an '04, and has 175k on it. It's never let me down, but I do a lot of long trips and just wanted a newer vehicle for the sake of reliability. The new truck gets 2-3 mpg better and has significantly more power, comfort, cab room, etc.

[Linked Image]

The Ranger pickups are no longer made, and the Tacomas don't get any better mileage than the F150's. Plus Tacos have some really stupid option constraints - you can't get a regular cab 4x4 Taco with V6, nor with cruise control. And the 4 cyl is only available with a 4 speed automatic.

If one does serious off-road work, a smaller, shorter vehicle can be an asset. I may yet trade the red truck for something smaller, as a second vehicle. But it has to be something tolerable on the highway.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 07/27/14.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got a Canyon... and would never buy another or any other GM product again!

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Do a spreadsheet and you might see differently in regards to savings on gas prices vs. payments.

Add in depreciation, taxes regustration and insurance and I don't see it penciling out.

There's no way you can get double the gas mileage and justify the expense in purchase and depreciation. The gas mileage argument has allowed many a man to scratch his new vehicle "itch" but I have to agree on this. It ain't gonna be a good move.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.