Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TF49

Another example of a non-christian telling Christians what the bible says. You simply do not know whereof you speak.

Pretty clear that AS knows exactly of what he speaks in this thread.

To imply that only Christians are the only ones that can know what the Bible says, as you did, is just plain silly.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Heck, none of the major religions, with all of their Phds can agree on the meaning of Bible quotations.

Things as basic as whether Sunday or Saturday is the real Sabbath are still open for debate among Biblical scholars.

Some of us were fairly well educated in one or more religions and in things related to scripture.

Some,,,,,very well educated.

In my case, I could never find it in me to accept the gospel as......well...........gospel.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agnostics have enough faith to walk confidently through life ignoring this mess, listening to God, and avoiding hypocrisy.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Actually he does not know what he is talking about.

One would have to only look at the statements of faith of the major Christian denominations to see that what he says is just not so.

He either ignores the facts or does not care to recognize them.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 07/28/14.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
TFF49 there are over 20 biblical reference regarding the path of salvation being through one's works, not faith. This is why sects like the early Calvinist places so much emphasis on works.

In contrast there about a dozen reference to salvation being through faith alone, with about half of those occurring in Romans. Since Faith alone (don't worry, you don't actually have to do any real work) is an easier sale then telling your follower they might actually have to be productive, over the last 400 years we seen a de-emphasis on works, and a greater emphasis on faith as the path to salvation. When paired with the continuing body of evidence against a literalist reading of the Bible, once again, the preacher have to fall back on the faith card, making it all the more attractive for them to faith side of the contradictions and attempt to explain away the requirement for personal works.

Well, you simply are wrong. Salvation is not by works. Check the statements of faith of the major Christian denominations.

You ignore facts and return to the same old stuff.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by carbon12

Another example of a non-christian telling Christians what the bible says. You simply do not know whereof you speak.

Pretty clear that AS knows exactly of what he speaks in this thread.

To imply that only Christians are the only ones that can know what the Bible says, as you did, is just plain silly.

You are absolutely right. Satan knows the Bible real well....he quoted Psalms to Jesus. He did not even have to use Google and copy and paste. He knew it by heart.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Heck, none of the major religions, with all of their Phds can agree on the meaning of Bible quotations.

Among Major religions,only one reads the bible with any regularity�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I flop back and forth between being a skeptical deist and a hopeful agnostic. No hedging. Just not smart enough to be certain.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually he does not know what he is talking about.

One would have to only look at the statements of faith of the major Christian denominations to see that what he says is just not so.

He either ignores the facts or does not care to recognize them.

TF

Do you realize how foolish you sound?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
I flop back and forth between being a skeptical deist and a hopeful agnostic. No hedging. Just not smart enough to be certain.

You make more sense than most on here.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure, I know the differences as defined by Webster. I am interested in what our members say.

For myself: I suppose there might be now, or might have been at some time in the billions of years since this Universe was spawned, several species out there with vastly more intelligence, wisdom, science, and technology than we have accumulated to this date. But those beings, if they ever existed, most certainly have no interest or effect upon the present day events of this planet. They certainly do not care about, or intervene in my day to day activities

I believe that any species in this Universe is bound by the natural laws of Physics.

I firmly believe that when electrical activity in the brain ceases, all that a man is, was, or ever will be ceases to exist. Thus there can be no Afterlife, no Heaven, and no Hell. I believe that all stories of supernatural events, contrary to the known and unknown laws of science, are matters of coincidence, misinterpretation, and or delusion.

Agnostic or Atheist? Or is there really a difference?

Oh well

This is gonna take a while

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Short answer...I don't care.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

Dr. Kindell said, �There would be a lot more serious Christians if we had a lot more serious skeptics.� I asked him what he meant and he said if they truly are serious they will try to prove the Bible wrong and end up verifying It. There are plenty of books by educated men who tried to and failed, subsequently becoming ardent Christians.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, well this skeptic didn't come to this position without a great deal of thought about it.

I would bet that there are a pile more former Christians who've come to a similar conclusion as I did after examining their faith. It's just there isn't an entrenched organization that will publish their stories and the individuals aren't admonished to proselytize their new found 'faith'.

But if what you believe gets you through the night, more power to you. Just let me get my own sleep and please try to keep from waving your faith in my face.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steve
Yeah, well this skeptic didn't come to this position without a great deal of thought about it.

I would bet that there are a pile more former Christians who've come to a similar conclusion as I did after examining their faith.

IME, you are absolutely correct. I was a "born again believer" for 20 years. During my transition, most atheist and agnostic I encountered were once believers. One acquaintance actually felt the calling to become a minister and the more in depth he studied, the more skeptical he became.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Five pages and 114 replies is why I NEVER answer a religious thread.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
please try to keep from waving your faith in my face.

Should I ask you to stop waving your faith in my face?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There's NO difference in where they'll both wind up if they die in their conditions.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sure, I know the differences as defined by Webster. I am interested in what our members say.

For myself: I suppose there might be now, or might have been at some time in the billions of years since this Universe was spawned, several species out there with vastly more intelligence, wisdom, science, and technology than we have accumulated to this date. But those beings, if they ever existed, most certainly have no interest or effect upon the present day events of this planet. They certainly do not care about, or intervene in my day to day activities

I believe that any species in this Universe is bound by the natural laws of Physics.

I firmly believe that when electrical activity in the brain ceases, all that a man is, was, or ever will be ceases to exist. Thus there can be no Afterlife, no Heaven, and no Hell. I believe that all stories of supernatural events, contrary to the known and unknown laws of science, are matters of coincidence, misinterpretation, and or delusion.

Minutia won't matter much when Lucifer whips out his monster, flaming, dong on the day of judgment.

(I believe this can be found in Corinthians.)

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
please try to keep from waving your faith in my face.

Should I ask you to stop waving your faith in my face?

[Linked Image]

You'll sleep better...

Last edited by Steve; 07/28/14.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.