Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good day.

I would like to get a 22-250 heavy barrelled rifle and would appreciate some opinions on well priced rifles in this category. I am thinking in the line/price of the Remington VLS ect. It might double as a walking varmiter. Accuracy is my primary need in the rifle as it will be used for culling and varmint shooting.

I do reload if that changes anything.

Thanks

Pieter

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a Rem 700 VLS with a 26 inch long factory varmint barrel. The rifle shot very well the only thing I did not care for was the weight, with the mounts and scope it weighed near 11 lbs if I recall correctly.

Great for out of the vehicle or off of bags but it sucked for a carry rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The Remington is probably your best choice in that price range. Like drover said, though, the 26 inch sendero/varmint contour is a beeyatch to hoof. I've got two of em in that configuration and, while they shoot well, they don't get carried much.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bullets matter more than headstamps. Hint.

223 Montucky for the win and by [bleep] light years.

The VLS 22-250 is 1-14" and that sucks heavy ass.

Re-hint.

I reload too. Re-re-hint.

The VLS 22-250 isn't even on the same [bleep] Planet,as a 1-9" Montucky 223...as the 223 will slap it [bleep] silly. The 75A-Max at 2900fps is a wickedly wonderful thang.

Re-re-re-hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
drover - +1 on your comments re: HB .22/250. Have three (3) .22/250's. My HOWA M1500 HB is a tack driver BUT a bear to carry w/ B&C VarTac stock. Circa early 70's Ruger M77 'tanger' not as accurate but way better to 'shot an scoot'. Best of the lot is the RAR in .22/250 fast(er) twist and syn stock...fug ugly but worth the effort. We've tiny 'lil deer here so big boomers are not necessary...you can keep the pythons however. Homesteader

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LINK[Linked Image]

My only .22-250 is a Savage Mod 12 LRPV Left Port. It is a bit on the heavy side for a walking around varminter, but it is as accurate as my .204 Cooper in my hands.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I wanted another .22-250, I'd order an AI, with a good 1 in 8" barrel. But depending on how hard it is to get in South Africa, a 1 in 9" .223 might be a pretty darn good substitute.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If I wanted another .22-250, I'd order an AI, with a good 1 in 8" barrel. But depending on how hard it is to get in South Africa, a 1 in 9" .223 might be a pretty darn good substitute.

That's my huckleberry.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have a Winchester Model 70 Coyote in .22-250 that I love. Based on your needs it appears to be a very good option. Everyone that shoots that gun loves it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OrangeOkie - your Savage was not available when I bit on the HOWA. Have seen and handled similar at the range: they be BIG and STOUT! Homesteader

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
You might want to look at the Savage 10 Predator Max.
8.5 lb. 24" fluted barrel. Accustock
Under $800

My 260 shoots 3/8" groups at 100 yds.

R
R
I have a savage with 1/9 twist. as far as I know they are the
only one that makes one with this twist rate.
they make a model 12 vlp were you can get it in a 1/9 or 1/12
twist. mine will shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds. with 69 gr.
serria match bullets. would not give let it go for any thing.
good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm very pleased with the Savage Predator Max 1 22-250 I bought some months back. No disappointments as to accuracy at all. I liked it so well, I bought another one in 243 if that says anything.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kitch; 08/01/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only time I ever tried it my Ruger MKII VT put 4 shots into .5" at 200 yards. Sort of. I gave it 2 clicks up after the first two shots. The last two were ~1" higher, as expected. Both 2-shot sets were under .5" and I discount the vertical offset between the groups due to the scope adjustment. Call it two 2-shot groups if you prefer. I'm happy either way.

Loads were 40g BT handloads.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Peter,

I know you are looking for a factory gun, but if they have gunsmiths in foreign countries I would seriously consider having an action of your choice re-tubed with a 1-8" barrel.

Having owned one, I can never go back to a slow twisted 22-250. They just leave way too much on the table in my opinion.

Boxer makes a valid point regarding choosing twist rate and bullets over headstamps. But I do love me the 22-250 slinging high BC bullets.

And I'd skip the heavy barrel...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyote_Hunter - "Call it two 2-shot groups if you prefer"...BUT, if I read your post correctly, you had to do some scope dial twisting? That right? What do you think caused that? Homesteader

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cabelas has an exclusive Savage 116 (?) in stainless/fluted semi-heavy barreled with accustock. I handled one the other day, I think it has a 24 inch barrel. It looked like a sweet calling rifle/walking varmint rifle. Maybe Cabelas does international sales?

Keep your eye on the fruit........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Coyote_Hunter - "Call it two 2-shot groups if you prefer"...BUT, if I read your post correctly, you had to do some scope dial twisting? That right? What do you think caused that? Homesteader

The first two shots were an inch lower at 200 yards than I wanted. Two 1/4MOA clicks fixed it and the last two were at the right height. The two groups were about an inch apart vertically but would have been on top of each other had I left the scope alone.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyote_Hunter - OK got it now. Tks Homesteader.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Always hilarious,to watch how those who shoot the least "think". Funny schit here!

Schit rifles,schit twist rates,schit contours,schit boolits,schit glass,schit mounts,schit bases,schit stocks and 2-shot "groups" have been well covered,if only obliviously...which is of course THE funniest part.

Now lemme letcha' in on a coupla UBER "secrets". The inside of the barrel matters farrrrrrrrr more than the outside. Boolits matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps. Practical portability and light done right,has NO equal. Balance/handling are paramount.

Coming full [bleep] circle,the Montucky 223 simply has no equal. UBER RE-Hint. I very much enjoy the Salvage Turd Polishing Parade,as that schit is always [bleep] funny,so thanks for that! If it cheers you gals up,I've suffered 14" 22-250's in 700's,77's,70's,Sako,Salvage and even a [bleep] Mouser. Now 30yrs ago,such approaches were plausible,beings everything was Ping Pong Ball BC
's and UKD. Mainly,it were the best a guy could do and it [bleep] sucked. Cheer up,I shot the dog [bleep] schit outta 22-250AI's,Swifts and several CHeetah's too,if only for more conversation and the hopes of drumming up more Imagination and Pretend from The Window Lickers.

Anywhoo...things have changed. We in da' bidness call that an UBER-understatement. Distances are now known and Ping Pong Balls should ONLY be found on Ping Pong Tables. UBER Re-Hint.

So I get it,that Turd Polishers will always swoon schit and try mightily to "justify" that schit,if only because it's the only [bleep] move they've got. Read that again and let it sink in. In fairness,I enjoy the convictions of that total lack of comprehension,frosted copiously with a total lack of trigger time,as an Extrogen fueled "Trump Card". FUNNY schit!

There are some rather positive correlations reliably arranged,with the fruition of schlepping a 6lb 1000yd+ capable rifle around daily. Especially one that is cheap to shoot(which promotes use),of minimal recoil(which promotes use),amazingly versatile(which promotes use),exceptionally well balanced/great handling(which promotes use),yada,yada,yada...the list goes on.

Give a thunk to the mounting system/glass and amazing things will reliably happen,as defaults. No thang to whistle through 500+ rounds a day and that actual use,conjoined with the inherent merit of the platform,will reliably slam doors shut upon Goat [bleep]. UBER Hint.

Now to be fair,I've only got 22-250's/AI's in 7,8,9,12 and 14" twist rates and in contours running from #2 to AMU,so it's easy for me to say,mainly because I've got it all. UBER Re-Hint.

There's a coupla of them,that are viable in a Niche Role,but none can match the handy/dandiness of an over the counter Montucky. Read that again.

My fluted #4 1-7.7" Krieger 23" 22-250AI with 75A-Max at 3450fps,is no slouch,but pales in versatility. If the wind is honking and a guy wishes to have a 224 Day,it's a purty solid way to roll. It has enough erector travel to reach past a mile,so a gent has some options. Hint.

2nd down from top.

That being said,a pard's Montucky Liljee length/contour dupe 1-8" 22-250AI,steals The Show as versatility goes and is bottom...with an OEM over da' counter Montucky 223 between 'em.

[Linked Image]

So it's VERY funny schit,to see folks trumpet schit handling/schit twisted rifles,if only because that's the only side of the equation they "know". It'd be akin to recommending a 5lb butter knife,as THE Utility Hunting Knife. Read that again. UBER laffin'!

Boolits rate a thunk,twist rates a thunk,COAL rates a thunk,balance/handling rates a thunk,mounting systems rate a thunk,glass rates a thunk and following through by actually using the parcel,also rates a thunk. Connecting dots is very easy Today and it's a riot to watch Window Lickers kick & scream in the refrain of same,then flaunt Dog Schit Goat [bleep] instead.

Joe Average sure the [bleep] ain't very bright and that's my being verrrrrrrrrry gracious.

UBER Hint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,311 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.