Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a ruger in 30-06 that's a 2" gun at best. I'm thinking about rebarreling to 280ai. Just wondering can I get it to be a under moa rifle. Ive heard from a few folks that they aren't worth rebsrreling. What is yall experience.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you decide that you do not want it send it to me. I will make a nice home for it.

Never had one that would not shoot MOA or better. Check the crown first.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bedding and crown OK? Good trigger? Magazine box binding? Scope rings in good alignment? Scope itself proven good on another rifle?

The last ones I had in my hands, a MkII in 308 and a Hawkeye in 270 were pretty accurate, especially with my handloads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned my share of Ruger centerfires. Some needed a little work but none required rebarreling to shoot under two inches.. IMO rebarreling's worth it if you like the rifle and want a 280AI but I'd be sure I tried what mathman said first. If that doesn't work rebarreling might still be cheaper than a new one when you consider what they're going for now plus tax & registration.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/31/14.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Its bedded, trigger tuned, different scopes, different handloads, crown looks good. Ill rebarell it myself so cist would be minimum. Just wondering will it solve my problem.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My stainless .35 Whelen is a rebarreled .30-06 MKII. Shoots moa or better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by summitsitter
I have a ruger in 30-06 that's a 2" gun at best. I'm thinking about rebarreling to 280ai. Just wondering can I get it to be a under moa rifle. Ive heard from a few folks that they aren't worth rebsrreling. What is yall experience.

I'll give you $50 for it, sight unseen.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I'll give ya $52.50 sight unseen for it! grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mine is an honest 1/2 moa shooter consistently. I have whacked a truck load of vittles with it. The Mk II action is very strong.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've owned several Rugers. All of them were OK shooters, nothing to write home about. I think an action truing and new barrel definitely will help. They are a solid gun, but not really good for much other than point or shoot. Few aftermarket accessories for them, and you are stuck with their zero MOA ring system.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned several MK IIs and have yet to see one that the mag box was not binding the action or that leaving the middle screw light/tight didn't help. Front action screw tight as hell, rear screw pretty tight, middle just tight enough to hold it in place. Try the things mentioned on this thread before you abandon the barrel. Unless you just want a 280 AI; if so, yes the gun is worth putting on a new barrel. There is not a lot I don't like about the MK II..........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Rebarreled a Ruger 77 tang safety several years ago. Put a cheapo Midway A&B (now Green Mtn) heavy contour barrel on it. Consider it one of my more accurate rifles. Also own a Ruger Hawkeye in 257R. Not a tack driver, but shoots decent enough for me to keep the factory barrel on it.

Last edited by huffmanite; 07/31/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

$55.00, provided it's in good shape... wink

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just make sure it doesn't have epoxy on the threads....

wink

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've only messed with two MKII's. I had a 223 way before I started handloading, with factory hollow points from Remington or Winchester it would consistently do sub 3/4" or better. With any soft points it was somewhere around 2". That was when they first came out before anybody made a trigger for them.

A few years ago a friend had one in 25/06. He changed the trigger and I bedded it for him before he ever fired it. With his handloads I witnessed sub 1" groups at 300 yards.

Rugers ain't my first choice but they can shoot, at least some of them.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

$55.00, provided it's in good shape... wink

I'll see your $55 and raise you $100.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My first thought would be that if the best load in the rifle is 2" (and that implies others are worse) that there is something up with the rifle. We have already heard a good starting list, Bedding, screws not binding, screws properly torqued, trigger reasonable, both lugs bearing, rings correctly mounted and tight, scope good. Crown etc. If the issue is one of these items a new tube will be just as frustrating.

If its floated you might try some upward pressure for a laugh.

That said I have a number of rebarreled Rugers and with a good tube and no issues they are all capable of sub MOA type accuracy, but that seems to be true or nearly enough not to matter for factory MKII's and Hawkeyes. From the perspective of a sporter the Ruger action is really no better or worse a platform than most. Its not what I would build a precision target or LR rifle from ( nor a Lightweight rig), but if rugged CRF actions float your boat its not so bad a choice.

My opinion that as a sporter, what an aftermarket tube mostly buys isn't necessarily a leap forward in accuracy( unless your original tube was buggered), but your pick of chambering, throating, contour, length and lack of fouling/ease of cleaning.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I've owned several Rugers. All of them were OK shooters, nothing to write home about. I think an action truing and new barrel definitely will help. They are a solid gun, but not really good for much other than point or shoot. Few aftermarket accessories for them, and you are stuck with their zero MOA ring system.

Just curious. What aftermarket accessories do you need for them, that aren't available?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I never seen a MK-II Ruger M-77 not shoot well, some need a bedding job and some trigger work to get there, but its not the end of the world, I would do a bedding job first, then sub 2 inch groups is plenty accurate for big game shooting! Its worth the effort to do before deciding on a rebarrel, you will have to do a bedding job in any event anyway.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Just curious. What aftermarket accessories do you need for them, that aren't available?

Hardly anyone makes a short action stock for them, other than McMillan. And their ring system sucks. You cannot run a picatinny sloped rail, so if you are into shooting distance you better have a scope with a lot of internal adjustment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.