Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For NOW we see only a reflection as in a mirror; THEN we shall see face to face. NOW I know in part; THEN I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/02/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What made God?

This question is like asking to whom is the bachelor married? Or who was that dead man speaking to? It makes no sense. God is Infinite! He didn't make Himself. He Is.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For those who depend on facts to prove Gods existence.

You mean facts that can be scientifically proven. Where did science come from? Did it come from man or God? If you say it came from man because there is no God, then where did men come from? Oh yes, an explosion that created life? How is that scientific. There is no proof. Science depends on truths that are predictable and repeatable. Show me. Recreate life for me. Then I will believe in your 'facts'.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/02/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
....show me the evidence....show me the evidence....show me the evidence....show me the evidence....show me the evidence....

Summing up: You are a broken record. By "evidence," in every case you mean scientific and empirical evidence. That view makes a god of science. You overlook the fact that we use other kinds of evidence all the time, and even scientific evidence is lacking conclusiveness. Inconclusive is not proof of anything. I don't know whether you call yourself an agnostic or an atheist. You only argue the agnostic position but you do it with the insistence of the atheist.

You think all the evidence proves the non-existence of God, so you put yourself in the position of judge and prosecutor, overruling any evidence but what you introduce. You require someone who believes in God to use that evidence to prove his position. The trouble with that is that then you become the jury -- and you declare yourself winner of the debate. The truth is that no believer needs to prove God's existence. He only cares to show you that you do not need to come to the conclusion you have reached. If someone could convince you -- with only the evidence you lay on the table -- that God exists, that he created everything, that he is sovereign, that Jesus rose from the dead, and that he's coming back, none of that would gain you one millimeter of standing with God.

When this becomes a debate over who is smarter, which your previous ad hominum arguments suggest you think it is, you apparently think the question of the existence of God is a question that only the people you regard as most intelligent have any real suasion. The problem with that is that lots of believing people are smarter than you are. That's no problem for you -- you simply fall back on an ad hominem argument. Being smart is irrelevant. Chances are you're not even the smartest person on a discussion forum. You lost this debate a long time ago.

Steve.

I've never claimed to be the smarted person on this forum. Now you are just making stuff up. As for my alleged ad hominem, since when is a sharp example or a request for evidence an ad hominem?

As for your opening statement, it's essentially an admission that you have no evidence.

As for your whole court analogy, it's absurd. Because my position is different then yours I'm not allowed to make up my own mind? To whom am I to defer as Judge and Jury, your preacher? As for "the winner", it's not for you, or I to decide that. It's for each reader to decide for themselves.

But then, in the end, you so eloquently make my point:

Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
The truth is that no believer needs to prove God's existence.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence.

Please refer to my first post on page one.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by eyeball
For those who depend on facts to prove Gods existence.

You mean facts that can be scientifically proven. Where did science come from? Did it come from man or God? If you say it came from man because there is no God, then where did men come from? Oh yes, an explosion that created life? How is that scientific. There is no proof. Science depends on truths that are predictable and repeatable. Show me. Recreate life for me. Then I will believe in your 'facts'.

Eyeball, I didn't ask for facts, I asked for evidence.

In scientific terms evidence supports facts, and large collection of facts support Scientific Theories, which is a well substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world.

So, to be clear, I'm not asking for facts, just evidence. If you can provide some real evidence, then perhaps we can work that into facts, and a Theory of God with explanatory power, but in order to do this, we need to start with some evidence.

As for the origin of Science, science is an outgrowth of mans quest for knowledge. This began in antiquity with Philosophy. In the 1600's we get "natural philosophy", which today we call Science, from the Latin for knowledge.

As for the origins of life, we have a Theory of Evolution, but not a Theory of Abiogenesis. We have some evidence regarding how molecules and proteins form, and even how molecules form in space. It's only been 400 years since we progressed past alchemy to begin developing chemistry and an understanding of the microscopic world, and it may be several hundred years before we have a Theory of Abiogenesis.

What would not be scientific would be to stop investigation this line of inquiry and substitute a Bronze Age Jewish sky spirit as the answer.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/02/14.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
What made God?

This question is like asking to whom is the bachelor married? Or who was that dead man speaking to? It makes no sense. God is Infinite! He didn't make Himself. He Is.

We are so complex we require a creator, but the most complex being ever, does not?

That is what makes no sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A-S- please don't make the mistake of thinking that many folks here are at all concerned about what "makes no sense" to you personally. That is your problem, not theirs.

Your posts indicate to some that you are stuck in a small closed loop - or - is it a tight downward spiral? To an extent, I am surprised with the patience and effort extended to you in this thread. I see that as good behavior toward another person, but now feel that you have been given quite a bit more attention than deserved - particularly if your primary goal is to get attention.

Whether you are seeking argument, affirmation, confirmation, or simple attention - the mistake has been mine. Bye.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
A-S- please don't make the mistake of thinking that many folks here are at all concerned about what "makes no sense" to you personally. That is your problem, not theirs.

Your posts indicate to some that you are stuck in a small closed loop - or - is it a tight downward spiral? To an extent, I am surprised with the patience and effort extended to you in this thread. I see that as good behavior toward another person, but now feel that you have been given quite a bit more attention than deserved - particularly if your primary goal is to get attention.

Whether you are seeking argument, affirmation, confirmation, or simple attention - the mistake has been mine. Bye.

CCCC I enjoy a good stimulating debate.

My last post to you contained 14 hominid skulls in series. It's part of the "small closed loop" in the realm of evidence...that realm you seem unable to penetrate.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You generally can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. Faith and objective reasoning are quite frequently at odds due to the nature of both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NT was in Greek, and who invented paper?

Irrelevant to anything on this thread.

We are so complex we require a creator, but the most complex being ever, does not?

That is what makes no sense.

You may not believe it or understand it, but you can�t think beyond yourself. You are apparently not able to comprehend Infinite Intelligent Energy. So far the only infinite I see you believing in is infinite nothing becoming something which is contrary to the cause and effect of science. An effect cannot be greater than its cause, and yet your faith wants desperately for this to be the case. This concept is supposedly natural; which it is not. It would be beyond supernatural. Something you are dreadfully trying to get away from.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Faith and objective reasoning are quite frequently at odds due to the nature of both.

Perhaps, but not always. Check out the book, Evidence That Demands a Verdict.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Paper, invented by the Chinese, so, yes, relevant to this thread.

Of course I can think beyond myself. An expanding universe 13.7 billion years old with billions of stars in billions of galaxies is certainly beyond myself. If anything, this narrative surpasses your infinite God who only created the world 6k years ago. As for "nothing" becoming something, well you might need to take a further look at quantum physics. This is a very strange world that often defies our normal conceptions of the physics.

As for your assetion that an effect cannot be greater then it's cause, just look at a string of dominos. One is pushed over, an it pushed over 2 then 4, 8, 16, 32 etc.

When you consider the condition previous to the universe...a vast nothing...that was so much nothing that it was unstable...the instability was not at just a point, so one the domino was pushed, inflation occurred quickly.

However as you mentioned, in the end, the total effect must be zero. When creating a universe, you need three things, energy, matter, and space. Since matter is just a form of energy, we really only need 2 things, energy and space. With energy being positive, and space the reservoir for negative energy, we now have the condition for a universe from nothing, with a total energy of zero, which is, best we can tell at this point, the total energy of the universe.

No God, no supernatural, just physics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Given what we now know about the universe, if God exists then God is much greater and grander than our ancestors ever imagined.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Of course I can think beyond myself. An expanding universe 13.7 billion years old with billions of stars in billions of galaxies is certainly beyond myself. If anything, this narrative surpasses your infinite God who only created the world 6k years ago. As for "nothing" becoming something, well you might need to take a further look at quantum physics. This is a very strange world that often defies our normal conceptions of the physics.

As for your assetion that an effect cannot be greater then it's cause, just look at a string of dominos. One is pushed over, an it pushed over 2 then 4, 8, 16, 32 etc.

When you consider the condition previous to the universe...a vast nothing...that was so much nothing that it was unstable...the instability was not at just a point, so one the domino was pushed, inflation occurred quickly.

However as you mentioned, in the end, the total effect must be zero. When creating a universe, you need three things, energy, matter, and space. Since matter is just a form of energy, we really only need 2 things, energy and space. With energy being positive, and space the reservoir for negative energy, we now have the condition for a universe from nothing, with a total energy of zero, which is, best we can tell at this point, the total energy of the universe.

And you haven't even brought dark matter and dark energy into the picture. smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An agnostic is uncertain as to the existance of God, an atheist denies the existance of God

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a vast nothing...that was so much nothing that it was unstable

No matter how much you want nothing to be something, nothing is nothing. Nothing does not exist so nothing can be stable or unstable.

With the dominos illustration you are neglecting the hours spent by a much greater intelligence setting them up to accomplish a preplanned organized desired effect.

Your faith is admirable, but misplaced in hoping nothing can do anything.

In this post you are not starting with nothing. You are starting with unintelligent space; which Einstien and others have said is a fabric. On the otherhand Creationists start by accepting the basic premise of science: Cause and effect. The Creator, possessing all energy and intelligence, called space and time into being by His Power.

However as you mentioned, in the end, the total effect must be zero.

That was something you suggested. I don't believe the total effect must be zero.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
a vast nothing...that was so much nothing that it was unstable

No matter how much you want nothing to be something, nothing is nothing. Nothing does not exist so nothing can be stable or unstable.

With the dominos illustration you are neglecting the hours spent by a much greater intelligence setting them up to accomplish a preplanned organized desired effect.

Your faith is admirable, but misplaced in hoping nothing can do anything.

In this post you are not starting with nothing. You are starting with unintelligent space; which Einstien and others have said is a fabric. On the otherhand Creationists start by accepting the basic premise of science: Cause and effect. The Creator, possessing all energy and intelligence, called space and time into being by His Power.

However as you mentioned, in the end, the total effect must be zero.

That was something you suggested. I don't believe the total effect must be zero.

Who caused the creator?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Yea right, the Universe from nothing... here is another comment regarding Krauss:

Krauss�s volume was much praised when it got out in January, but more recently has been slammed by David Albert in the New York Times:

�The particular, eternally persisting, elementary physical stuff of the world, according to the standard presentations of relativistic quantum field theories, consists (unsurprisingly) of relativistic quantum fields... they have nothing whatsoever to say on the subject of where those fields came from, or of why the world should have consisted of the particular kinds of fields it does, or of why it should have consisted of fields at all, or of why there should have been a world in the first place. Period. Case closed. End of story.�

That�s harsh, and Krauss understandably doesn�t like what Albert wrote. Still, I wonder if Krauss is justified in referring to Albert as a �moronic philosopher,� considering that the latter is not only a highly respected philosopher of physics at Columbia University, but also holds a PhD in theoretical physics. I didn�t think Rockefeller University (where Albert got his degree) gave out PhD�s to morons, but I could be wrong.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 37 invisible), 1,886 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,860
Posts18,497,174
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.