-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Just built SA creedmoor. Hart barrel in Douglas featherweight contour. had $1000 in it with HS precision stock and gunsmithing, including trueing action, trigger job and chambering. shoots everything under an inch, some much better. Look up Shawn Thomason in Idaho for the work. Good price and quality work. You will not be disappointed.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jacksonwelds
Just built SA creedmoor. Hart barrel in Douglas featherweight contour. had $1000 in it with HS precision stock and gunsmithing, including trueing action, trigger job and chambering. shoots everything under an inch, some much better. Look up Shawn Thomason in Idaho for the work. Good price and quality work. You will not be disappointed.

He's got a long action

Double_D
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by 30338
Buy a Hart 8 twist in 6.5 #2 contour. 6.5-06 has shot everything under an inch and some much, much better with that barrel. I'd send that barreled action and stock to Dan Dowling, have him twist on a #2 contour Hart and pillar bed to the wood stock.

When you get some funds, buy a Mcmillan and live a little. Buy a pair of 30mm talleys and put a SWFA 6x milquad on it. Under a thousand including scope.

I think this is the right plan. Get a good barrel and trigger to start with, and then add the stock you want after the fun money fund fills back up. You could do a basic bedding into the wood stock yourself, and save that money for the final stock.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Douglas Barrels will thread, chamber, and proof fire a premium stainless barrel on your action, in your choice of caliber and and chambering for a little under $600. Buy some good glass. And then re-stock it when you get the additional money.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Boxer
If I asked you about OEM twist rates,OEM throats and OEM COAL...you'd start stuttering,as a best case scenario.

A killer rifle is very [bleep] easily realized,for very modest loot. Sure you can throw 82 Trick Moves worth of loot out the window and bask in a "name" or [bleep] funnier yet something "proprietary".

Few things are more [bleep] simple than a rifle.

Hint.

I want to hear more about the right throat for a rig such as the OP is wanting to build here. This has everything to do with the reamer, yeah? Is there a std throating configuration that's preferable for a target-grade shooter, or does the angle vary for each caliber?

I like the idea of a 6.5-06, but I personally like the 7mm bullets better for hunting, so a 7-06 would be a great option too. You could Ackley it. Mild recoil, great ballistics, lots of bullet weight, make good use of the 700 LA.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotsa ways to skin a cat,but there are constants ETCHED in stone that will reliably bear fruit. They are twist,COAL latitude and throat geometry.

For a pittance,one could source a Sporter 260 take-off spout,have it punched 6.5-284,so as to shine brightly with the bullet of preference and arrange all 3 of the above criteria on a 700 S/A. COAL can be bolstered numerous way,either internal or external. A 6.5-06 would not clean the 260 chamber up,but a 6.5-06 certainly would.

Easy to botch throat geometry on a S/A...while rather tough to do on a L/A,as the window of forgiveness is farrrrrrr more accommodating..............(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sounds to me like you'll spend $600 for a barrel, $150 for a set of RCBS dies, and $250 for a B&C stock. I'm thinking you won't be satisfied with what you'll get for $1K. So, when you get some more money, you'll sell it for less than it's worth now (because very few rifle buyers would even consider buying a wildcat), and start over.

In the alternative, you can:

a. State a savings account with the $1K and payroll deposit of whatever you think you can afford and be patient;

b. Buy a good stock, bob the barrel, hone the trigger, and shoot it as a .30-06; or

c. Put the $1K on a horse and come back if you win.

Some might suggest cutting out the wife's beer, but I have never had great success with that approach.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can only lead folks to water and can't make them drink.

Your approach in all fairness,is rather hilarious. Perhaps talk in detail about "all" of them you've commissioned and how they disappointed you?...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Boxer
If I asked you about OEM twist rates,OEM throats and OEM COAL...you'd start stuttering,as a best case scenario.

A killer rifle is very [bleep] easily realized,for very modest loot. Sure you can throw 82 Trick Moves worth of loot out the window and bask in a "name" or [bleep] funnier yet something "proprietary".

Few things are more [bleep] simple than a rifle.

Hint.

I want to hear more about the right throat for a rig such as the OP is wanting to build here. This has everything to do with the reamer, yeah? Is there a std throating configuration that's preferable for a target-grade shooter, or does the angle vary for each caliber?

I like the idea of a 6.5-06, but I personally like the 7mm bullets better for hunting, so a 7-06 would be a great option too. You could Ackley it. Mild recoil, great ballistics, lots of bullet weight, make good use of the 700 LA.

Have said rig throated so that you can reach the lands with ammo loaded to your desired COAL. Actually a little shorter so you can chase the lands as the throat erodes. Obviously needs to fit in the magazine and necks need to have an adequate grip on your chosen projectiles. You can accomplish this by means of a custom reamer or a separate throating reamer.

If want to go 7mm-06 or AI, instead go with .280 or AI version. Both factoryized versions of the 7mm-06. Might as well have the option of appropriately marked brass if available.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tough to botch 700 L/A 280/AI throating...............

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.