-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Besides the issues of no wolves on Kodiak, I too thought we were talking about "minimum" ( which is a long way from "marginal") calibers for hunting brown bears on Kodiak Island and don't know why folks with little to no experience with killing bears have to wade in to tout their favorite caliber and tell of how they are immune to it's recoil.
I have heard those claims for 35 years and they usually are my first clue that I need to pack my 458.

I have known Kodiak guides who chose to carry a 270 as a backup rifle and a number of others who chose the 30-06. In fact the world record Kodiak bear was taken in 1952 with a 30-06.

Now if our big bore experts want to hunt "Kodiak" bears in some local where there might be wolves a 340 Wby would be one of the last calibers I would choose if I wanted the hide. I can also vouch from experience that the 30-06 ( with 200 gr partitions) works out well past 500 yards.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by moosemike

I don't know who is saying a .30-06 won't work? a 220 grain bullet at or near 2,500 fps is pretty formidable. Still, some folks might desire more range.

Oh great, now we can start a minimum caliber at 100 yards and a minimum caliber at 200/300/400 yard thread.

This entire "minimum caliber" idea is a matter of personal opinion. If you are hiring a guide and he, or she ( may daughter just got her full registered guide's license), says xyz is their minimum caliber then you can be assured that they have a reason.

I can tell you from my 35 years of guiding experience that any rifle in the realm of a .270/7mm/308/30-06 with today's bullets and a competent shooter will successfully kill any bear in Alaska, at any distance from the muzzle to 300 yards.

If one can place a larger or faster bullet in the same place it might drop them a fraction of a second quicker, but it won't kill them any deader.

Sure, but the disparagement of Mike�s comment as "clueless" simply for saying �some folks might desire more range� is unfair for a couple of reasons. I don�t know exactly what he meant, but it applies to my upcoming hunt, because I�m hunting brown bear, moose, wolf, and wolverine (and possibly black bear when we get below tree-line). Where I�m hunting, my guide�s clients have taken wolves out to 350yds and a little beyond.

[Linked Image]

I�d like to keep that option open.

I don�t know for sure what might be capable with handloads and other specific bullets with the 30-06 220gr loading, but the factory loadings I can find have the 30-60 220gr loads dropping 25� below the sight line at 350 yds. My .340 puts the .225gr TTSX at a little less than 3� high at 150yds, and a little more than 6� low at 350yds (actual range results). Now someone who is really trained well with the 30-06 220gr can do it fine I�m sure, but it�s easier for me to learn to shoot a .340 at that range than it is to shoot a 30-06 220gr at the same range. So, a flatter-shooting rifle, of whatever caliber, might be more versatile for multiple game. Either option is fine, but neither is �clueless,� and worthy of disparaging insults.

Also, to the extent that the versatility of a multi-game rife is not allowed on this thread, although I doubt I would shoot at a brown bear much past about 200 yds, but maybe I would under great conditions on the last day of a hunt, and you mentioned �at any distance from the muzzle to 300 yards�: At least with the factory loadings I can find (e.g, http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=19), a 220gr 30-06 bullet is moving at around 1,620fps at 300 yds. Is that good? I�m asking because I don�t know. But a .225gr .338 bullet out of a .340 moving at 2,600 fps at 300 yds might be a bit preferable. At 200 yds even, the 30-06 220gr is moving at only around 1,860 fps, and the 225gr .340 is moving at around 2,780 fps. Perhaps they both might work similarly, I don�t know, but hitting a big bear at rifle-velocity with a .338-cal bullet instead of hitting it with a fast-handgun velocity with a .30-cal bullet, even if not always necessary, can�t be clueless. It's close to the difference between hitting the bear near the muzzle with a 30-30 versus a 30-06. Maybe both would work, but it's not "clueless" to prefer a 30-06 over a 30-30 for close range work. Same difference.

Comments in response to a reasonable opinion like �some folks might desire more range� such as �Is there anything else you want to do to prove just how clueless you are? � Please, the above questions are purely rhetorical and your guesses are truly not being sought!� is just unnecessary and nasty for no reason. No one on here who advocates for a bigger gun is calling anyone who opts for a smaller one �clueless.� They�re just reasonable opinions to discuss. That�s what a forum like this is for I think.

For the reasons already addressed Moosemike is clueless... but let's look at what you are doing... You want to saddle the 30-06 with 220gr bullets even though you think you want to stretch things out.

The perfectly adequate 180gr bullet weight is far closer to the right bullet in the 30-06 and is certainly not right at the upper edge of available bullets. Apples to oranges.

Of course if you were to learn to reload it would make all sorts of things easier. Some guides do not like reloads on hunts but they work just fine and if you really study it you should be able to learn how. I work out three times a day just to stay in shape so I can reload. It may not be easy but I think most people should be able to handle it with practice and working out. And pulling the lever on the reloading press is a really good motion for improving flexibility in your shoulder so you can reach around and pat yourself on the back again. And reloading really isn't that hard, anyone that really puts their mind to it should be able to handle the effort. And you can even load different bullet weights and get different energies out of different loads and everyone knows Energy is where it's at if you train for it and work really hard, most anyone can do it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Besides the issues of no wolves on Kodiak �

Okay, but they have elk and deer there, so it�s the same concept.

� folks with little to no experience with killing bears have to wade in to tout their favorite caliber and tell of how they are immune to it's recoil. I have heard those claims for 35 years and they usually are my first clue that I need to pack my 458.

I have known Kodiak guides who chose to carry a 270 as a backup rifle and a number of others who chose the 30-06. In fact the world record Kodiak bear was taken in 1952 with a 30-06.

Now if our big bore experts want to hunt "Kodiak" bears in some local where there might be wolves a 340 Wby would be one of the last calibers I would choose if I wanted the hide. I can also vouch from experience that the 30-06 ( with 200 gr partitions) works out well past 500 yards.

First, I don�t see the reason for the superiority complex and never called myself an "expert." What I said are my experiences. I�ve hunted since around 1979. I experienced shooting at enemy combatants in the USMC with all types of weapons in the 1990s. I learned to shoot medium bores well. I�m sad that your clients are such dishonest blowhards. But I am just stating some unremarkable things about my experiences on a forum that is designed to solicit such experiences. Can anyone shoot a medium bore well? It�s not that hard with practice. Sure. If someone accurately, and unremarkably, says that they can, are they �claiming� or �saying�? You call it �claiming� to suggest that they can�t. You apparently can shoot a .458 well. Are you �claiming� that or just stating your experience like I have? It�s not really that hard with practice. Why would you �need to pack my 458� if someone said (i.e., �claimed�) that they could shoot a medium bore well? Obviously, if someone says that, they are �claiming� and a poser, but why the .458? A 30-06 is the record breaker. Why don�t you carry a 30-06 if someone says (�claims�) that they can shoot something well? I can�t see the need since a .458 will only occasionally stop a bear a fraction of a second faster than a .270. Why do you need to go big with the .458 to back up the idiotic �claimers�? Maybe it's better at stopping a bear? Maybe sometimes by more than a fraction of a second?

It can�t be that someone works hard to get good with a medium bore, and says so (it�s not that hard), and actually can do so, rather than just �claiming� so. I�m not exactly saying I jumped to the moon or wrestled a 25-ft crocodile into submission. I�m just saying I practice a lot with my .375 and .340 and can shoot them reasonably well. What!? Such a �claim�! You better whip out your .458 Win. Why? Is it better than backing a �claimer� client than with a .270? Sorry you have had so many pathetic "claimer" clients. My guide hasn't.

And I�m trying hard, but I don�t understand one other thing: �a 340 Wby would be one of the last calibers I would choose if I wanted the hide.�

I put two fairly-big holes through each side of my bear last time with the .375 Wby, which probably makes as big of hole as a .340.

[Linked Image]

But you can�t see it now.

[Linked Image]

It�s called T-A-X-I-D-E-R-M-Y.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you say you can shoot your 340 as well, or better, than smaller bores and it is your idea of a "minimum" caliber for Kodiak bears then that is fine. But you seem to want to argue with most of the others on here about their opinions and throwing in irrelevant arguments.

But there is no reason for you to discount any of our experiences either as some of us have killed plenty of bears with "lessor" calibers.

Although I do carry a 458 most of the time when I am guiding, I have used a 30-06 to stop a number of wounded bears.

here is just one example.

[Linked Image]

By the way,

Your bear mount is impressive, those are a couple of cute young men and thank you for your service.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the FWIW dept; wolves killed by rifles in Alaska probably succumb to the 223 round more frequently than by anything else. It, up through the 25s, are probably the best numbers to use if you want a sleek pelt. Wolves are rarely a pick-your-shot type deal; you take what you can. A 150 Core-lokt from a 270 can make a real broadside mess of the hide. The gusto of a bullet driven by a 340 wouldn't likely improve the outcome. OTOH 150 BTs in the 7mm-08 and 30-06 flavors have been handily stopped by wolves when run in a more diagonal direction. By law you must use a CF rifle on wolverines in AK. However, I suspect you might get a wanton waste summons if you presented a two-piece wolverine for sealing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I�m sad that your clients are such dishonest blowhards.

Those are your words not mine. With the exception of a few Weatherby users most are great to be with.

Why would you �need to pack my 458� if someone said (i.e., �claimed�) that they could shoot a medium bore well?

You really don't have a clue ?

I can�t see the need since a .458 will only occasionally stop a bear a fraction of a second faster than a .270.

Because that is all ANY big bore does

Why do you need to go big with the .458 to back up the idiotic �claimers�? Maybe it's better at stopping a bear? Maybe sometimes by more than a fraction of a second?

Again, you show a serious lack of experience

Sorry you have had so many pathetic "claimer" clients. My guide hasn't.

If he hasn't it means he hasn't been guiding long. But my guess is that he is a real professional and keeps his opinions to himself.

And I�m trying hard, but I don�t understand one other thing: �a 340 Wby would be one of the last calibers I would choose if I wanted the hide.�

Again, a serious lack of experience

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can we have a new thread on favorite condiments to accompany crow? I'm thinking options might start with a pungent mustard, perhaps Worcestershire sauce, maybe A-1.......? smirk

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt even this will help him smell the condiments...

Funniest thing to me is the line about how his guide has not had "claimer" clients...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I experienced shooting at enemy combatants in the USMC with all types of weapons in the 1990s.

As I said in my above response, I applaud your service but what exactly does this mean ?

I too have combat experience as an Infantry man in Vietnam and did more than shoot AT enemy combatants.
Just like our bears, It matters little what you shoot AT them, you have to HIT them. And if you can do that you might find that your idea of "minimum" may change.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Funniest thing to me is the line about how his guide has not had �claimer" clients...

Reminds me of the old saying �If you look around the poker table and don�t see a sucker, you�re it�.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because I don't own either a .270 or a 7mm. But I certainly have no problem allowing my clients to use them and as I have stated earlier in this discussion, the shooters using them used less bullets and killed theirs just a quickly as ANY client using a .338, .340 Wby or .375. Simply because they could shoot them.
I would say that they were unusual hunter thought because they were experienced enough to know and admit that they shot them better because they kicked less.
Even you, who claims to shoot your 340 better from the bench due to ample padding, says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.
I have heard a lot of claims but have yet to meet a person who could shoot a heavy rifle "better" from a field position CONSISTENTLY than a rifle with less recoil.

And while I may not own a 270 or 7mm, I have and do hunt brown bears with my 30-06.

�Even you � says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.�

I actually didn�t say that. My 7mm Wby, .340 Wby, and .375 Wby all recoil about the same. My 7mm is lighter than my .340, which is lighter than my .375. They all feel about the same. It�s just that my .340 is, so far, a tack driver that I can shoot really well, even better than my smaller-caliber rifles. That being said, I get better groups out of it than I do my .243 Win, and .308s etc� When I said I would love to bring my 7mm on a BB hunt, I meant because it�s really light, not because it recoils less. But, in my case, the weight difference is not enough to make me bring a .243 or a 7mm on a brown bear hunt. I can carry the .340 Wby. The difference between that and a lighter rife is less than 1% of my weight+ the gear I carry. That < 1% is worth it to me even if it is not, or should not be, to others. Just my perspective.

Really??? No chance of you ever being called sensitive if those three recoil the same to you. A nominal 40% decrease in recoil energy is not easily perceived by your greatness...

Just wow!

Just noticed this. I can't keep up with and rebut all the attacks, but yeah, there is a 37% difference in the momentum of the 160gr TSX leaving my 7mm ULW at 3,240fps and the 225gr TTSX leaving my .340 at 3,160 fps. The .340 rile weighs 24% more than the ULW lighter 7mm. Of course, you have to know the powder weight, and sometimes a rifle firing a faster/lighter bullet "feels" to recoil more. Perhaps they're 12% or so apart, but they "feel" about the same. It's in the same order of magnitude. The rifles weigh differently, and at the range, I put a 1-lb bipod on each and wear a recoil pad. and they feel about the same or so. Nothing terrible if you put a pad on your shoulder. Seriously, it's effective to have someone load/unload your rifle before you shoot so that you don't know if it will recoil when you shoot. Doing that, it's not too hard if you try to get to where you don't flinch. It isn't that hard. Just like diving the first time off the high-dive. The first time, it's seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. Then after you do it s few times, it's kind of fun. Jut gotta practice. Light hot 7mm recoils about like a stout heavier .338. Some difference. Not enough for me to notice. A thick shoulder pad at the range makes a huge difference. It really does. Yeah, my .375, 340, 300 WM, and 7mm rifles all weigh differently. So, the all recoil similarly because of that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't keep up with and rebut all the attacks,

These "attacks" as you call them are simply rebuttals to previous comments made by you.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because I don't own either a .270 or a 7mm. But I certainly have no problem allowing my clients to use them and as I have stated earlier in this discussion, the shooters using them used less bullets and killed theirs just a quickly as ANY client using a .338, .340 Wby or .375. Simply because they could shoot them.
I would say that they were unusual hunter thought because they were experienced enough to know and admit that they shot them better because they kicked less.
Even you, who claims to shoot your 340 better from the bench due to ample padding, says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.
I have heard a lot of claims but have yet to meet a person who could shoot a heavy rifle "better" from a field position CONSISTENTLY than a rifle with less recoil.

And while I may not own a 270 or 7mm, I have and do hunt brown bears with my 30-06.

�Even you � says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.�

I actually didn�t say that. My 7mm Wby, .340 Wby, and .375 Wby all recoil about the same. My 7mm is lighter than my .340, which is lighter than my .375. They all feel about the same. It�s just that my .340 is, so far, a tack driver that I can shoot really well, even better than my smaller-caliber rifles. That being said, I get better groups out of it than I do my .243 Win, and .308s etc� When I said I would love to bring my 7mm on a BB hunt, I meant because it�s really light, not because it recoils less. But, in my case, the weight difference is not enough to make me bring a .243 or a 7mm on a brown bear hunt. I can carry the .340 Wby. The difference between that and a lighter rife is less than 1% of my weight+ the gear I carry. That < 1% is worth it to me even if it is not, or should not be, to others. Just my perspective.

Really??? No chance of you ever being called sensitive if those three recoil the same to you. A nominal 40% decrease in recoil energy is not easily perceived by your greatness...

Just wow!

Just noticed this. I can't keep up with and rebut all the attacks, but yeah, there is a 37% difference in the momentum of the 160gr TSX leaving my 7mm ULW at 3,240fps and the 225gr TTSX leaving my .340 at 3,160 fps. The .340 rile weighs 24% more than the ULW lighter 7mm. Of course, you have to know the powder weight, and sometimes a rifle firing a faster/lighter bullet "feels" to recoil more. Perhaps they're 12% or so apart, but they "feel" about the same. It's in the same order of magnitude. The rifles weigh differently, and at the range, I put a 1-lb bipod on each and wear a recoil pad. and they feel about the same or so. Nothing terrible if you put a pad on your shoulder. Seriously, it's effective to have someone load/unload your rifle before you shoot so that you don't know if it will recoil when you shoot. Doing that, it's not too hard if you try to get to where you don't flinch. It isn't that hard. Just like diving the first time off the high-dive. The first time, it's seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. Then after you do it s few times, it's kind of fun. Jut gotta practice. Light hot 7mm recoils about like a stout heavier .338. Some difference. Not enough for me to notice. A thick shoulder pad at the range makes a huge difference. It really does. Yeah, my .375, 340, 300 WM, and 7mm rifles all weigh differently. So, the all recoil similarly because of that.

Thank you ever so much for the pedantic explanation of recoil. Having never fired a rifle I really appreciate the effort you went to to describe it so simply.

Too bad your math skills are so poor or you would understand the point I made about the 40% decrease really is properly a 66% increase in recoil. And that does not equate to a 37% difference in momentum, but rather a nominal 66% difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see I need to add a 1 pound brush catcher (bi pod) to my rifles to reduce recoil.

Perhaps that would tame my little 6 pound all up 325 WSM. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know people perceive recoil differently; but I have fired 7mm magnum rounds with various head stamps numbering in the thousands,and enough 340 Weatherby and various medium bore magnums to be very familiar with the sensations. They aren't even close.

I must be too sensitive. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/14/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Just wow!

I am 63 and have hunted since grade school. I have gone through my more power phase and over the years have came to the conclusion through experience that once you have enough more doesn't make it kill better or necessarily quick. Each animal reacts differently to being shot. Something that is not apparent to some.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
jwp
You had to actually shoot something to realize that... many somethings...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So what about a 308win with good bullets? smile

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by leomort
So what about a 308win with good bullets? smile

What are 'good' bullets? There is a camp that is fine with heavy bullets (200 and up) of good construction (Partition, A-Frame, etc) shot from a medium-capacity case are a sensible minimum for Kodiaks.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.