Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Boxer
PLEASE tell me you were stomping your itty-bitty feet,as you typed that Hissy Fit?!!?

Now that is funny. I wrote 2 lines, you wrote 2 pages.

BTW, never owned a brake, and no plans to.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

HR IC

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Bobcape
Saddlesore,
I understand from your posts that that your challenges are these -
You need a large reduction in recoil from your current rifle / ammo setup.
You don't want to invest in differnet ammo / load because you have a lot invested in what you already have.
You don't want to buy a different rifle.
If (I think you might already have) you go with a brake, you need hearing protection.

Hopefully that's fairly close to the issues you have stated.

I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I wonder if you are open to another solution other than shooting the brake, if it doesn't involve you buying a different rifle and ammo? Because I'm of the same mind that the brake is going to be a real pain. I've tried them and don't want to again.

If you are, here's my idea. I have a great little light weight Remington in .243. It has a 9" twist barrel and shoots the 105gr bullets great. I use it as my loaner rifle. I hate to jinx the rifle's luck, but I don't think I have loaned it to a hunter and not had them kill with it. I would be glad to loan it to you for this fall. I'll supply you with enough ammo to get used to it and kill lots of animals. I don't know you from Adam, but I haven't met anyone on the Fire yet that I wouldn't offer the same loan to. I know you did not ask to borrow a rifle, and if you had, I might not have offered. But I hate to see you not be able to hunt this year. Just post some pictures and return it when you're done. I think we're about 8 hours apart. I'd be happy to meet you half way and grab lunch with you and loan you the rifle. Let me know here or via PM. Best of luck.

Bob

Bob, I really appreciate the offer , but I will pass. I just got the gun back today and the smith did a great job as usual.
I have some back up guns here and my hunting partner has several that I know he would loan me if needed.

Talking to the smith today, he assured me that this break will reduce the recoil to what I can take and a pair of muffs with a foam plugs under them would be more than enough for range use.

I will have more than enough time to get situated where I am going to hunt and get the muffs on with plugs The smith claims I should be OK with just good muffs with the1-2 shots when hunting.

He has these brakes made for him and claims they are better than anything else on the market No gases are ejected rearward and all go out the sides, none down or up.

Again,thanks so much for the offer.I do really appreciate it. There are far more good guys on this forum than the few butt holes.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Can someone explain why such bad and bizarre behavior is tolerated here?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Because our moms don't enjoy monitoring hunting forums?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Saddlesore I hope you enjoy another season.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Because the first step in achieving tolerance, is leading by example.

Now GFY.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
In the fire service we have a saying, "no one is truly useless, you can always be used as a bad example."

And please deflave gfy as well. And take that other malcontent Fox-piss with you.. just sayin.. laff

Last edited by Mike_S; 08/07/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
In the fire service we have a saying, "no one is truly useless, you can always be used as a bad example."

That's mean.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Because this forum is not properly moderated!

Boxer lasted about 5 posts before I whacked him from Noslerreloading.com

He is an abrasive jerk. He has some knowledge but unfortunately no communication skills at all. He is mad at the world because of personal issues and refuses to get therapy.

So this forum is his pressure valve and because it is not moderated we all have to put up with it. He is like an Alaskan Obama.....

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I think I know what the problem is here.... link

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fotis

He is an abrasive jerk. He has some knowledge but unfortunately no communication skills at all. He is mad at the world because of personal issues and refuses to get therapy.

So this forum is his pressure valve and because it is not moderated we all have to put up with it. He is like an Alaskan Obama.....

Fotis,

Why are you here then? You have a forum to discuss the same topics where the moderation keeps Boxer (and others) off - why participate in this forum at all?

David

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This might help!

[Linked Image]

μολὼν λαβέ

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I find it amazing that people ask questions online and then do whatever they had already decided to do - it's a thin veil of "my purchase/decision is the best, please justify it online for me".

Whatever. I shoot next to guys with brakes all the time - they SUCK for everyone around you regardless of hearing protection. Anyone that can afford to do an elk hunt can afford a softer shooting rifle if they wanted to - at least that is my opinion based on the cost of hunts versus the cost of good rifles...

Last edited by Paradiddle; 08/07/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Fotis,

Why are you here then? You have a forum to discuss the same topics where the moderation keeps Boxer (and others) off - why participate in this forum at all?

David

Because I can sir! I am not going to let one jackass run me off. Why ?? do you enjoy his posts?

μολὼν λαβέ

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I find it amazing that people ask questions online and then do whatever they had already decided to do - it's a thin veil of "my purchase/decision is the best, please justify it online for me".

Whatever. I shoot next to guys with brakes all the time - they SUCK for everyone around you regardless of hearing protection. Anyone that can afford to do an elk hunt can afford a softer shooting rifle if they wanted to - at least that is my opinion based on the cost of hunts versus the cost of good rifles...

If you go back and read my original post, I asked how much recoil reduction can I expect, not should I do it. AND I asked if you can't answer the question, don't reply. It's amazing that in four pages, there have only been about a half dozen replies, if that, which answered my original question.

When I go to the range, I use a berm that can only handle one shooter. No one else is around me. This AM, I hit the range at 6:30. No one else was even at the range and we have 1200 members. I don't shoot on weekends because there are too many jerks.

I find it amazing that some one replies to a thread, when they have never read the original one. If you don't like to shoot around others who use them, get up earlier.

And who are you to decide how anyone spends their money?.

I will do two elk hunts this year, 10 day seasons each. Neither one of them will cost as much as a new rifle, scope, dies, brass, powder ,bullets. I chose to spend money on the hunt itself, not new toys.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Fotis,

David

Because I can sir! I am not going to let one jackass run me off. Why ?? do you enjoy his posts?

Why do you David?

You a masochist??

μολὼν λαβέ

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Because I can sir! I am not going to let one jackass run me off. Why do you enjoy his posts?

Fotis,

I believe you are reading intent into my question that wasn't there. It was seriously asked:

If the lack of forum moderation ruins the experience so much for you, why do you participate in this forum? The same topics can be discussed on other forums where (as you pointed out) heavy moderation prevents people like Boxer from participating - so why come here?

I come here because the knowledge to be found here is unequaled on any of the heavily moderated forums I've looked at. I believe the freedom of expression granted through the almost nonexistent moderation is what draws so many diverse knowledgable people to this forum, and yes that means you take the good with the bad.

In answer to your question, I enjoy Boxer's posts for two reasons:

1) Knowledge - Tons of wisdom in every post, learned a lot from reading his stuff and seek out his posts whenever I can find them, along with a bunch of others. I disagree on his ability to communicate - I think he communicates very well, he just doesn't sugar coat it to make it easier to swallow.

Which brings me to point #2...

2) I've spent most of my adult life in chemical plants and refineries. Some of my early successes were tied into listening to a man that had a similar depth of knowledge (in his field) and a similar delivery. I realized quickly that the sticks and stones adage was sage advice and have since realized that its fairly common to find similar characters in most of these facilities. If you're looking to cut to the chase, its best to remember its a choice to take offense.

...it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity....

David

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
saddlesore,

This is very late to the party, but it shows some real world objective tests. I hope this makes sense.

I made a fancy looking recoil slide for testing recoil of rifles with different weights of bullets and with different brakes installed. I put a chronograph just past the slide. On July 15, 2007 I tested a few rifles. Large chamber brake means the inside was turned out resulting in a baffle at the end of the brake. Small channel means a small hole, .015-.020�over bullet diameter, all the way from the muzzle to the exit of the brake.

Here are enough to get an idea how different weights of bullets affect free recoil travel. Which translates into usable information.

No brake
.223 26� heavy barrel 55 grain moly 3,306 feet per second 1 13/16�
.223 22� light barrel same ammo 3,260 2 3/8�
.223 22� light barrel 60 grain 3,118 3 1/8�

7 Rem Mag 120 grain 3,380 12 7/8�
7 Rem Mag 140 3,027 15 5/16� 7 Rem Mag 170 2,852 19 15/16�

7STW 130 3,761 15 1/8�

7STW 130 3,763 4 7/16�

.375.-416 Rem Mag 270 2,968 29 ��
.375-.416 Rem Mag 300 2,858 35 11/16�

Factory brake with large chamber
7 Rem Mag 120 grain 3,419 7 ��

Homemade small channel brake
7 Rem Mag 120 grain 3,417 3 3/8�
7Rem Mag 140 grain 3,056 4 ��

Large chamber brake
.375-.416 Rem Mag 270 2,885 17 3/8�
.375-.416 Rem Mag 300 2,915 21 1/16�

Small channel brake
.375-.416 Rem Mag 270 2,952 12 3/8�
.375-.416 Rem Mag 300 2,882 17 ��

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I come here and I post here because I want to perfect my knowledge of firearms. I am a member of at least 15 forums and I do take notes.
So on all other forums people spread their knowledge freely and with class. Why can not this happen here? Are you a masochist David?

Surely there is a better way of gathering information!

μολὼν λαβέ

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You belong to 15 other forums that are moderated more to your liking and still participate here too. Thank you for giving your time.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (240NMC, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.