Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Guys,
Back in 1992 my wife and son gave me a Christmas gift of a M-77 MKII in .308 with a Leupold VX-2 2-7 scope. The rifle was my yearly go to Michigan deer camp rifle, which I left with my buddy up there, so I didn't have to fly with it.

I had 11 months to shoot it before going, which I did. I broke in the barrel and shot different ammo to see what it would shoot best, since I didn't reload rifle ammo. Best group I could get at 100 yards was in the area of 2.5 inches. That was with Federal Premium 168 BTSP. Yes, minute of Whitetail! The longest shot on a deer for its career was 93 yards. I shot a boat load of deer with it. So, since it was a gift and my son shot his first two deer with it, I will not sell it.

Since retiring to AZ a few years ago and now driving everywhere I decided to bring the rifle "home" and work on it, to see if I could get it to shoot better. Free floated then bedded the action. Had the muzzle re-crowned. No better. Also, replaced the trigger years a go with a Timney. No improvement.

I'm a good shot with my own 200 yard range on my property and I shoot several times a week, if not daily.

Any other experiences with the M-77?. I have a #1 in 7x57 that shoots cloverleaf groups all day, no matter what you feed it.

I like the rifle and was hoping to use it here in the west (If and when I can get drawn for an AZ deer tag!!) Yes, once again, it shoots minute of deer! But...."only accurate rifles are interesting"

I have lots of other rifles I can use but don't be afraid to chime in with your opinions.

If I re-barrel what would you suggest? 1:10? I would be shooting anything from 150-168 grain bullets.

Maybe re-barrel to 7mm-08?

Or simply retire it?

My current go to rifles are my #1 in 7x57 and a custom .280 built on a M700 action.

Let me know what you think.

Have a great weekend, folks.

Respectfully,
Dave

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd have it re-barreled to a 7-08 with a 1-9" twist.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Actually, after re-reading what you already have, I'd make it a .243.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pay attention to what he typed and get yer pants on.

[Linked Image]

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Actually, after re-reading what you already have, I'd make it a .243.

Travis

+1 but AI.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I ignored what you already have, I'd say make it interesting and rebarrel to .284 Win.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Split the difference and make it a 260 Rem

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a 7x57 barrel from an M77 for sale $55 shipped if you're interested.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would go with a fast twist .243 something or other. Light enough recoil to enjoy shooting it, and it would be a great platform to learn to shoot long distances in windy conditions.

Normally I would say a fast twist .264 something or other, but since you have .284 covered, I went for some more contrast.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Now that you are retired and need more hobbies... get it rebored to 358 Winchester for shooting cast boolits.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They changed over from the tang safety Ruger to the MKII in the early 90's I believe. Which version do you have? It has been reported that some of the tangs came with dogcrap barrels.

I would also suggest you float the mag box before you decide you need a new tube.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well if you want a medium bore then JeffG's 7x57 barrel looks like a good low cost idea if it will work on your short action. I'd do that before a 7mm-08 since you already have the reloading setup. You could be up and running for not much more than a C note.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. Get some different ammo.
2. Change the scope.
3. Bring a screwdriver that fits the guard screws to the range with a roll of black electrical tape.

Try it with the different ammo and scope first.

Then if that does not do the trick take it out of the stock and put a tape shim under the barrel near the forend and if that does not work then in other locations in the barrel channel.

Try shooting it from a rest but also hand held like you might when hunting.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Savage_99
1. Get some different ammo.
2. Change the scope.
3. Bring a screwdriver that fits the guard screws to the range with a roll of black electrical tape.

Try it with the different ammo and scope first.

Then if that does not do the trick take it out of the stock and put a tape shim under the barrel near the forend and if that does not work then in other locations in the barrel channel.

Try shooting it from a rest but also hand held like you might when hunting.

Shut

ThEE

Fugg

Up.

Thanks,
Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffG
I have a 7x57 barrel from an M77 for sale $55 shipped if you're interested.
Uh, his rifle is a .308 WCF -- a short action. A 7x57mm won't fit a short action Ruger.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ruger rifles of that vintage were either really good or really bad..
I had one about the same vintage a ss alweather( boatpaddle) 308. I loved the look and feel of the rifle but was absoultly horrible from the bench.. Best hand loads would be in the 4 inch range. That rifle ranks as one of the worst shooting rifles I have ever owned. I could out shoot it with a 30 30 lever gun.
Since I liked the rifle I did a bedding/float job and laped the lugs.. Brought it down to about 2 inches. This was my first gunsmith project and ended up selling it because any further work was beyond my abilities at the time. The guy who bought it from me thinks it is deadly as he kills a deer with it every year.
Since then I have worked on several rugers of that vintage and found they are able to shoot with factory tube. Although those barrels are not the best. If all other variables are eliminated you might have a shooter. One thing I always find on rugers is poor ring alignment. Which binds the scope and stresses the action..
A new barrel won't fix that..
Either way you decide to go make sure you go through the action and scope first.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could rebarrel with a Remington takeoff. The threads for the Ruger are a bit smaller so it can be machined to fit.

One favorite of mine I have done many times is to take a 7 Rem mag barrel set it back 1/2" or so and re-thread for Ruger then chamber to the fat 284 win cartridge which requires far less setback than narrower cartridges like the 7-08. 7 Rem mag takeoffs are very common.

Another favorite would be to use a 243 takeoff re-thread and re-chamber for 6mm/284. The larger diameter chamber dresses up the 243 chamber perfectly.

I used to pay around $125 to have a barrel installed. Now do it myself. Have no idea what the current rate might be. Rem takeoffs are generally cost $50-$80 .

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
To the OP:

First, congrats on your retirement ! I hope it is long and enjoyable for you. Regarding the rifle, If there is sentimental attachment to it, the sentimental option would be to go back to a .308. Given that you have the 7mm slot covered, if you do not choose .308, I would drop down to a .243. My family has killed a couple dozen KY White tails with 95gr Nosler Partitions over a medium load of Varget. To the best of my knowledge, all have been thru and thru shots.

Regardless of which option you pick, PICTURES !

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave
Sorry you have soooo much time that you have to shoot daily.

I have several R77 tang safety Rugers.
As noted above, make sure the box mag is just loose with the 3 screws tightened.

I make a brass tube pillar for the center screw. When I snug up the middle screw the tension/bow on the action is then always the same.

I also make sure there is room in the bedding at the front of the action lug to allow a little forward movement.

I also run a finger of bedding up the channel in front of the lug for about 4 inches. If not happy with how gun shoots then, sometimes removing an inch off of the finger will improve groups.

The 243 Win is a good whitetail caliber if re-barrel, but the 260 always sounded cool to me also.

Hope we can rendezvous in W.C. this fall. My son will be coming to hunt again.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 08/09/14.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Also make sure that when the bolt is closed the handle is not touching the stock anywhere.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.