Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Spend $3-$5 or $6000 bucks building these high end custom rifles and then sell them within a year or so and with less than 100 rounds down the tube? confused

Not what they wanted? Didn't turn out to be what they thought?

I have bought/sold plenty of rifles but if I build one it generally hangs around awhile. But I see these well built customs for sale that are like new...(?)

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think it takes a lot of years to determine what you really need and and prefer in a rifle. I think some people get hyped up, on the internet, or magazine articles, and wind up getting something they don't really care for a few months down the road. At 63,I think i've settled on a few rifles, that do just about anything i'll need them for. One is a CeraKoted Montana in 7MM/08,a Cooper.280AI, and a Cooper .308. I think i could spend whatever time I've got left with these three rifles.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 08/13/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I blame build times and the need for instant gratification.
Read - Short Attention Span

Along with the constant desire to make that perfect mousetrap.

Guilty myself, I have about $6k into a 338 Lapua build including the scope and components. I haven't even taken delivery from the smith and I think I am over it? I am going to shoot it and hunt it but practical it is not. I had to have it though? Why?

To the rest of the guys that do it maybe they don't mind the financial hit of dumping a newer custom? They just move on the the next thing without batting an eye.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think lots of folks build shiet chambered for the wrong cartridges.

I know I'd get a hell of a lot more mileage out of a 223 than a 300 RUM

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Lots of truth there. Probably in my case too.

Semper Fi

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yeah I think that's true for sure....building stuff you use is the way to go.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think some folks just like to try stuff. I know I've run through a lot of "stuff"...knives, builds, etc...just to see how it would turn out and to try it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My problem is I get bored fast so I move on to the next toy.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm in the built too big camp. So many people back east have huge guns...."incase they go out west or something". I know many more people that use rifles 30/06 and larger than those that use smaller.

Always funny to hand someone a "little gun" loaded right and let them form an opinion for themselves. Had more than one friend happily make the switch to less recoil and more enjoyable to shoot rifles.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by laker
My problem is I get bored fast so I move on to the next toy.

This could be my problem too...grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sell few rifles,but seem to always be getting more.

Easy to make money on same,rather than lose...but of course one needs a shred of sense and 82 Trick Move/Snake Oil avoidance..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Spend $3-$5 or $6000 bucks building these high end custom rifles and then sell them within a year or so and with less than 100 rounds down the tube? confused

Not what they wanted? Didn't turn out to be what they thought?

I have bought/sold plenty of rifles but if I build one it generally hangs around awhile. But I see these well built customs for sale that are like new...(?)

Because they can!

I don't.

Tend to buy pre-enjoyed and let others take the depreciation.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/13/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol. You do get a sweet deal here and there.

I was visiting a friend in Montana last month and wanted to look at some coopers. Very nice to say the least. I've really only seen pics of them mostly yours. Anyway your post made me think of that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I keep wondering the same as Bob, because I want to spend some thousands on a decent long-range rig one of these years, when I can justify it. When I build one, I'm going to need some really good personal reasons, and I don't have enough yet. Until then, I've 'gotten by' with decent factory guns that I've played with a bit until they shoot well.

My dad was a true gun loony, and chased the latest, greatest gun/cartridge for more than 40 years. He lost more money over those years than I spent on college. After watching decades of that, I want to be sure that what I put that much money down for is what I want and can justify to myself.

You guys that have built these set-ups and then sold them: what were your reasons for sending them down the river? So far, too much cartridge has been given. What else?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$1K will reliably build one hell of a rifle.................(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've built guns that filled a gap I didn't actually have but didn't fully realize it until said gun was home from gunsmith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tend to build around bullets........................(hint)

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Stick, please tell me more. I'd rather spend 1k than 5. I'm a lefty, and I'm partial to 7's for long range bullets. Was thinking about a 7 wsm, or saum, or even a bit bigger, like the Mashburn, or Rogue. I prefer not to mess with belted cases, but in the end it probably doesn't matter that much if it shoots like I want it to.

I don't see myself taking shots at game longer than 8-850. There have been a few animals that I've had to sit and watch from that range that I could have taken if I had the rig. Some guys wonder at the ethics of taking those shots, but I've hunted enough in big country to see ideal conditions and undisturbed animals at those ranges. I'd like to shoot paper/rocks/steel past 1000 at some point too.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's called a "7-08" and they abound.

But the "trick" is,you actually gotta use it.................(hint)

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by laker
I've built guns that filled a gap I didn't actually have but didn't fully realize it until said gun was home from gunsmith

I bet that right there seems to be the reason for about half the builds out there....filling gaps in the picket fence of cartridge line-ups. cry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.