Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anyone hunting elk with a magnum 7mm this year, or have we become a bunch of ladies' and kids' cartridge shooters?

The trend toward shorter, lighter, smaller, at longer range for huge animals has me wondering if the ghost of WDM Bell is haunting this site.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sure.....why not

7mm whatever mag is pure elk magic I've been told

Team that up with some Hornady Superhero and the show never ends

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Be carryin my mashburn this year.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by laker

Finally a real man amoung metro's!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Finally a real man amoung metro's!

I've takin my 25-06 before but the mashburn needs baptized on my cow tag at fort peck. I'll be taking my 338-06 to the Crazies later into the season.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Been using the STW W/ 160 gr Hornady btsp @ 3200 MV. But I Loaded up some 160 AB to try this year.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone hunting elk with a magnum 7mm this year, or have we become a bunch of ladies' and kids' cartridge shooters?

The trend toward shorter, lighter, smaller, at longer range for huge animals has me wondering if the ghost of WDM Bell is haunting this site.
[color:#FFFF00][/color]

Thought a 7 Mag was a ladies & kids cartridge....... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaleRider

Funny, That's what a lot of people I know call it.
7MM Rem Mag "the ladies magnum"

That must be the rest of the story.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Giddyup!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Always thought the magic 7 was a city boy rifle

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't used my 7mm RM on elk since 2005 or before. Got tired of the bullets bouncing off...

Either that or I've been too busy trying other toys. This year it will be the Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me before he died.

Take your pick. smile

(Hint: For the 20+ years the 7mm RM was my only bolt-action big game rifle I never realized I needed anything else. "Wanted" was an entirely different story as I a curious SOB.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Funny....I've mostly seen the 30/06 in the hands of country boys who couldn't shoot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Seven? Millimeters? Pshaw. I'm using a .50 caliber rifle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Funny....I've mostly seen the 30/06 in the hands of country boys who couldn't shoot.

You have been with the wrong country boys. I used a 7 mag for a few years and then found out the .06 will do everything the 7 mag would with less powder and less recoil

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The 7 Mag is surrounded by a mystique perpetrated and propagated largely by those with little actual experience, who seem driven to pass along their ignorance to younger generations who revel in a cartridge that will do magical things without having to actually practice shooting.

Don't know why that is�The 7 mag is an excellent cartridge, but its users rely on the mystique, rather than the reality.I have yet to see anyone competently shoot a 7 Remington Mag. Skip up to the .300 Mags and I know a bunch of guys with a bunch of experience that handle them very well indeed.

A cartridge anomaly, as it were�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Giddyup!

+1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

'splain, please?

I thought the 7mm mag was a ladies' and kids' cartridge. Pretty good for coyotes and the like.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by PaleRider

Funny, That's what a lot of people I know call it.
7MM Rem Mag "the ladies magnum"

That must be the rest of the story.

Yep, and it works damn good on deer, yotes and smaller critters. I'll be using my 338 win again this year..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Lots of wowen and kids will get along great and kill this year with a 260, 308, 7/08 and gasp 243.

I'll be along on a few of these hunts. It's great hunting with people that don't try to over complicate things with things they think they know.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
7mm magnums are fine elk rounds. In fact they're just as good as the .270 or .30-06.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
7-08...anyone?

I like mine, but haven't tried it on elk yet. I know many that do. In reality it's not much different than my wussy 270win.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Killin schit ain't tough. Finding them is

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll be carrying my 30-06 for elk this year. Same as deer and elk pretty much every year. 180 Partitions and H4350 loaded to about 2800 fps.

It's not that I think the 30-06 is better than every other cartridge, it's just that if you have a 30-06 you don't need other cartridges.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Words of wisdom...

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

For sure.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got four 7s, the hardest part after finding game is choosing which to bring.

Ingwe special (7x57)
[Linked Image]

Lever awesomness (284)
[Linked Image]

The classic
[Linked Image]

What the classic should have been, the Mashburn.
[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[color:#FFFF33]

Funny,
I've seen more guys with 7mags that couldn't adjust for trajectories or handle heavier recoil and were trying to compensate with the 7mag.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
7mm magnums are fine elk rounds. In fact they're just as good as the .270 or .30-06.
[color:#FFFF00]

grin grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The current conventional wisdom is that you can only kill elk with a 243 or smaller or a 338 WM or larger. Nothing in between will work. You have to either pip squeak them to death or blow the hell out of them.

That said, I've killed a truckload with either a 270 or a 300 WSM, about 50/50. I honestly think every one I've shot with the 300 could have been taken as well with the 270. The 7mm fits in between those 2 so it should be at least marginally useful.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by ingwe

The 7 Mag is surrounded by a mystique perpetrated and propagated largely by those with little actual experience, who seem driven to pass along their ignorance to younger generations who revel in a cartridge that will do magical things without having to actually practice shooting.

Don't know why that is�The 7 mag is an excellent cartridge, but its users rely on the mystique, rather than the reality.I have yet to see anyone competently shoot a 7 Remington Mag. Skip up to the .300 Mags and I know a bunch of guys with a bunch of experience that handle them very well indeed.

A cartridge anomaly, as it were�.

Really..... A cartridge in use for fifty years and you've NEVER met anyone who uses it and can shoot straight? Is this satire?

Last edited by idahoguy101; 08/15/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope.Not satire. Didn't say they weren't out there, just that Ive never seen one...

Last edited by ingwe; 08/15/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M

'splain, please?

I thought the 7mm mag was a ladies' and kids' cartridge. Pretty good for coyotes and the like.

Tom
No, kids' and women's cartridges have case heads .378"-.473".

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SLM
Lots of wowen and kids will get along great and kill this year with a 260, 308, 7/08 and gasp 243.

I'll be along on a few of these hunts. It's great hunting with people that don't try to over complicate things with things they think they know.

I'm not sure I grasp your logic here. What I am after in this thread is not only what potential posters think they know, but what they have used and will use for elk, and why, with a preference of opinions and experiences involving fast 7's for said elk.

Obviously, this is a tender subject. Sorry if I offended anybody with my goading. Sheesh.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Uh-oh�everything Ive got is a .378 or .473... eek

I used to have bigger stuff, but no longer hunt the big stuff the bigger headstamps are made for...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HuntnShoot: My Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Remington Magnum with 160 grain Nosler Partitions sure works well on Bull Elk for me!
Yeah, I could buy a larger caliber but have no need or desire to do so.
Long live the 7mm Remington Magnum!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
We all know you're a sniper anyway, Ingwe. You get a rush out of nutsackin' a good bull with a Red Ryder, and then walking up and cutting his throat while he thrashes around. I wish you'd elaborate more on your technique...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, the .378 and .473 are also good elk rounds, especially when Ackley Improved.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Uh-oh�everything Ive got is a .378 or .473... eek

Duuuude, the .473 rules. You must be an aficionado? Or maybe just one of the cognoscenti?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Another description for this thread could have been:

I know a magnum 7 works good for gut-shooting deer at middle to long range, but how does it do for elk? Only posters with experience, please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another description for this thread could have been:

I know a magnum 7 works good for gut-shooting deer at middle to long range, but how does it do for elk? Only posters with experience, please.

LOL! grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometime in the late 60's me and a buddy use to go up to WY to hunt deer and pronghorn, around Laramie peak, NE of Wheatland or Chugwater. We would drive up from Albuquerque meet his father and uncles up there who were all from Wisconsin and used the old pump action Remingtons in.06.
I was doing a lot of rifle competition back then, but was in no way a world class marksman.

I was out one evening trying to get one of the uncles his pronghorn and he was worried that his rifle was not accurate enough for long distances( 200 yards to him).So I loaned him my Model 70 7 mag to use and told him it was dead on at 200 yards.

We made a sneak on a nice goat and the guy laid down prone. I told him to hold dead center on the chest, but he blew one over it's back. The goat trotted away another 50 yards or so and stopped. Ditto on the shot. He handed me the rifle and asked me to shoot the pronghorn which at this time was about 300 yards and about to crest a small rise. Running, but not flat out.

I swung on the animal and let a shot go. The pronghorn disappeared over the rise.

This was the last day of the season and in the evening. The guy was dejected that he was going to eat tag soup and said "well you gave it a good try, but missed". I told him, no I didn't miss ,lets go look.

We walked up the hill and over it and sure enough there was a dead buck laying there,shot perfectly thru the chest. I had an unfilled tag,but really wasn't interested in filling it, so I let him tag it and figured my tag was punched

It was one of those shots that you might make one in a thousand. Just crap house luck.

The guy was estatic and said he just had to buy one of those long distance 7 mags. I don't know if he ever did as he never came back, but he sure bragged on my shooting and the rifle that night. I was too embarrassed to tell him I could not make that shot again if I tried a thousand times.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/15/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 7RM has always been a lucky round for me. It seem the more I practice with it the luckier I get. But as others have suggested it is no better than several other capable rounds. But at the same time, if there is a better combo than a 160gr. Nosler Partition or a Nosler Accubond out of a 7RM at 3000fps or so for mule deer and elk it would be news to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by super T
The 7RM has always been a lucky round for me. It seem the more I practice with it the luckier I get. But as others have suggested it is no better than several other capable rounds. But at the same time, if there is a better combo than a 160gr. Nosler Partition or a Nosler Accubond out of a 7RM at 3000fps or so for mule deer and elk it would be news to me.

Same here.
I have 3 7mags.
I'll be using one of them this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My "kid" uses nothing but a 7mag.
He'll be 47 next month and has killed a lot of animals.
He started with it when he was 14 and never saw a reason to change.
A few years ago I had his original rifle redone and upgraded because it was about worn out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tracts, sounds like both you and your kid are fortunate people. You've got a smart kid and he's got a loving, generous dad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tracks
My "kid" uses nothing but a 7mag.
He'll be 47 next month and has killed a lot of animals.
He started with it when he was 14 and never saw a reason to change.
A few years ago I had his original rifle redone and upgraded because it was about worn out.

Cool story.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pack a small 7.
Short and fat.
It seems to work.
(That's what she said)

Why did I buy an stw again?

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Alcohol was probably involved .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That and a virgin Ti stock must have been it.

Who can turn down a virgin?
GFY.

Have Dog

Will Travel

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm mag, .300 mag and 30-06 are the most common calibers where I hunt. Sure you occasionally see other calibers, but if you look at a guys rifle it will more likely than not be one of those calibers.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll probably be carrying my 7mm-300weatherby some this season.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is funny ill be carrying one or the other 7mm RM or 300 Wby. I like the Barnes150 TTSX in 7 for elk. Th reason 7 mag shooters may not adjust well is inside 325 you don't ever need to think - just shoot. I tell new hunters to go get a 30-06 but it is tough to beat that 7 for making things simple. Ive been fairly lucky with mine it tends to cause lots of work cutting and packing when it goes off.

I picked up the 300 Wby as a cheap back-up rifle but it shoots really well out to way past elk range. And it took a cow at 300 and bull at 337 in the first week it got into the field.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
It was my wife's favorite!!.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

LOL.

My 270 with enough H4831 to push a 140 AB at 2800+
or the old 700 30-06 with 4350 pushing a 165 at 2800 kill every bit as well as a 7mm mag in my experience.

I see no need most days to carry anything else, though if I feel the need for more, I have 300mags and a 338. Just really never feel the need...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
7mm Rem Mag is a great elk caliber. Use a quality bullet, I've had great success with Nosler 160g Partitions for over 30 years in mine. I've put a lot of elk in the dirt with that caliber at distances out to and just past 400 yds. Use it with confidence and don't pay any attention to all of these retarded azz clowns comments who don't know WTF they are talking about anyway.

Foxx...

God Bless America!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by redfoxx
7mm Rem Mag is a great elk caliber. Use a quality bullet, I've had great success with Nosler 160g Partitions for over 30 years in mine. I've put a lot of elk in the dirt with that caliber at distances out to and just past 400 yds. Use it with confidence and don't pay any attention to all of these retarded azz clowns comments who don't know WTF they are talking about anyway.

Foxx...

What he said! I have never lost an elk that I knew was hit. A 160 Partition at 3000+ fps is serious medicine. My go-to load is Re 25 under the partition for 3006 fps from my Remington 700. Another good load is 75 grains of Re33 under that bullet. It produces 3124fps in my rifle. Reloder 33 with a 175 produces 3024 fps in my rifle and shoots half inch groups, also.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
7mm AnyMag

The end all cure all

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My primary is a 300 Win Mag, my backup is a 7mm STW. I have killed elk with both. But more with the 300, I have had it longer and it is more accurate than the STW.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have 4 7mm's , a Remington magnum, an STW, a 7x61 S&H, and a 7-08. I take them out fairly regularly, but have only killed elk with the Sharps & Hart. The others are newer to me and so far have only been to the range, but looking forward to getting them into the field.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm taking my 7MM Rem Mag n my elk hunt.

When the 7MM Rem Mag was designed, it was the definitive elk rifle. Since then elk must have begun juicing because now a hunter needs a 30-378 Wby to kill one. Elk must be smuggling steroids from Mexico.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hell, ask me & I'd say that the .280 Rem is probably the best rifle for all North American big game. If Remington were to put a belt on it & call it a magnum, it'd be a bigger seller. It's all about the belt and magnum attached to it. Otherwise, it's hardly suited for vermin.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Reading this thread is entertaining. smile

Start a 165 or 180 from a 30/06;use it for elk,and you are a sensible guy and a solid citizen who thinks straight and has all your shidt together.....likely you are a Consrvative, don't beat your wife and kids and are emotionally stable.The fellas who use a standard case of 308 dimensions necked to various smaller sizes occupy higher moral ground and look down their noses at anyone burning more powder... smile

You are such a wizard in the field that you can calculate drop and wind drift like Einstein,remain cool in the face of impending doom,and never, ever make mistakes in the field.A paragon of the rifle and hunting prowess.

Burn a lot more powder,make a 30 caliber bullet go really fast,get kicked more, in a heavier rifle,and you are a wise and astute rifleman whose manhood is secure because you can manage long strings of the drubbing and are an Iron Man who can lug 9-10 pounds of rifle up the mountain....makes sense to me! I did it plenty! smile

But, reduce bullet weight a few grains, add 6-10 grains of capacity over a 30/06 case,add a belt,and start slightly lighter and sleeker bullets at higher velocity for flatter trajectory and improved wind drift...all in a lighter rifle of more tolerable recoil,and suddenly you are:

-Compensating for a lack of intellectual acumen.

-Can't judge distance much beyond the length of their arm.

-Are incapable of dealing with more than 10-15 inches of bullet drop.

- Are a speed freak.

-Compensating for a lack of rifle related skills by buying equipment.(I suppose the same could be said for anyone who moves to a 308 or 30/06 from a 30-30 or 45-70). wink

- Are too weak and frail to manage more recoil or rifle weight than a gorilla on steroids.

- Are from the Dreaded City and couldn't find and kill a little old whitetail in the cornfields and little wood lots of Wild Missouri, like the Country Boys with a 30/06. (Set aside for the moment that the City Boys may have seen,passed on, and killed more bull elk in more places than the Country Boys have done in their dreams, or while flipping through the pages of Field & Stream).

- Are compensating for so many personal disorders (ranging from birth defects,lack of confidence,low testosterone, too much testosterone,insecurity,abuse as a child)that their treatment would cause a clinical psychiatrist to blink... blush

I sometimes wonder what Les Bowman, Warren Page, and Bob Hagel would have thought about all this.

(Especially Bowman who guided legions of elk hunters and watched the 300 Weatherby clients wound more elk than those shooting 270's,concluded the average clown could not manage 300 Weatherby recoil, so invented a cartridge called the 7mm Remington Magnum that gave more poop and shot flatter than the 270 or 30/06, recoiled less than the 300's and killed elk at long range with impunity; that his clients COULD shoot,and field tested it with his clients on everything from elk and moose to grizzly for several years before Remington brought it out. No City Boy, he, who did all this up in Cody. But he could never know as much as the Country Boys on the CF,now, could he?) whistle

These guys were among the the earliest users of the various 7mm magnums and killed piles of elk with them.Probably a lot more than the Country Boys on 24 CF....but WTH did they know? Not much I guess compared to the wizards on here... sick

But Page, Hagel, and Bowman never posted anything on the CF.

Amusing.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/20/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for this great read. Straight to the point.

Mashburn all up and ready for this year, you says?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ready: Ready! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh Glad to hear, if not surprised one bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(Especially Bowman who guided legions of elk hunters and watched the 300 Weatherby clients wound more elk than those shooting 270's,concluded the average clown could not manage 300 Weatherby recoil, so invented a cartridge called the 7mm Remington Magnum that gave more poop and shot flatter than the 270 or 30/06, recoiled less than the 300's and killed elk at long range with impunity; that his clients COULD shoot,and field tested it with his clients on everything from elk and moose to grizzly for several years before Remington brought it out. No City Boy, he, who did all this up in Cody. But he could never know as much as the Country Boys on the CF,now, could he?) whistle

They killed a LOT of elk. Les Bowman wrote that during one season in the late 1950's his outfit packed 90 horse loads of elk out of the WY backcountry.

If I were to build an elk specific rifle it would most likely be a 7MM Remington or 7MM Mashburn set up for 160-175 grain bullets.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SansSouci
Hell, ask me & I'd say that the .280 Rem is probably the best rifle for all North American big game. If Remington were to put a belt on it & call it a magnum, it'd be a bigger seller. It's all about the belt and magnum attached to it. Otherwise, it's hardly suited for vermin.

Love the belt.....funny.......does it come with a matching purse?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
No mention here, but I thoroughly enjoyed John Wooters' accounts of his 7mm Remmy using 175gn bullets. (partition)

He seemed, pleased.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob - enjoyed your write-up but the clucking & dancing chickens here on the CF are getting to you again, you better get out and hunt - soon! grin

I have two elk tags this year and will be packing a 54 cal Hawkins in 3 weeks and my new (gasp!) 7mm Wby (in a 700)during rifle seaon in October.

Though I backed the 7 Wby load down a ways, that 160 partition leaving at 3100 fps is like a freakin' laser up here at 10,000'. Very impressive!

Good huntin' to you

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob: insightful, entertaining, and even educational piece of writing. You are one of the reasons I don't write this site off.

Bring on the big 7! Size does matter. There's a short action, a std action, and a std magnum, just like condoms. Do you guys know what is written at the base of the Trojan Magnum condom?

I didn't think so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob: insightful, entertaining, and even educational piece of writing. You are one of the reasons I don't write this site off.

Bring on the big 7! Size does matter. There's a short action, a std action, and a std magnum, just like condoms. Do you guys know what is written at the base of the Trojan Magnum condom?

I didn't think so.

Made in Texas, size regular?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bob enjoyed your post about the 7.. Also the references to the older writers: Bowman, Hagel, and Page.. While the .300's are my favorite, I must agree that many using them are not capable of good accuracy with them.. I still favor mine for much of my big game hunting.. But I also have a couple 7mm mags. in the safe should I find the recoil of the big .30's more than I want to deal with at some time in the future..(Say if I live to be 90!!)

Met Hagel several times.. Never met Page or Bowman.. In my younger years I was a fan of all three at one time or another.
Still have some old articles or books buy all three..

I do remember Bowman talking of not only the 7mm mag as a good elk killer, but he also had a couple .338's they used on western game.. He mostly used the 200 grain factory.. Hagel of course was a long time .33 caliber guy from his association with Elmer..
In addition to Hagel's love of the 7mm mag. He also favored the .340 in his later years.. I believe the 210 Nosler was a favorite.. I talked with him just after he killed one of his last elk, maybe his last, he had taken it with the old Mashburn.. It was a cow for meat..

Due to his writing, I tried the 7 mags.. and later the .340.. It is great to hear from others who remember those "old timers".. Writing was a different game in those days..

Molon Labe
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have probably killed more elk with the 7 Rem mag than any other cartridge just because I keep circling back around to it after playing around with other stuff.

[Linked Image]

Sorry it isn't a more elegant photo, but I could not get him twisted around until I got some help.

I never have killed an elk with a 30-06, but none of the ones I have shot with a 7 RM would have survived the experiment had I tried. Or a .270, for that matter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
Bob - enjoyed your write-up but the clucking & dancing chickens here on the CF are getting to you again, you better get out and hunt - soon! grin

I have two elk tags this year and will be packing a 54 cal Hawkins in 3 weeks and my new (gasp!) 7mm Wby (in a 700)during rifle seaon in October.

Though I backed the 7 Wby load down a ways, that 160 partition leaving at 3100 fps is like a freakin' laser up here at 10,000'. Very impressive!

Good huntin' to you

Yes it will be. I got 3124 fps with the 160 Partition from my Remington SPS 7 mag using Reloder 33 powder. It is 75 grains, which is just under max for the 175. The 160 could even go a little higher with that powder, but I used 175 data due to the fact that Alliant had no data for the 160s and Re 33. The 175s were clocking 3025 with the 75-grain load. This was just some experimenting that I did, as my go-to load has been Re 25 at 3006 fps. All loads shot around a half inch. The 160 Partition is death on elk.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

Well played, well played! A tip of my hat to you, sir. wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by utah708
I have probably killed more elk with the 7 Rem mag than any other cartridge just because I keep circling back around to it after playing around with other stuff.

[Linked Image]

Sorry it isn't a more elegant photo, but I could not get him twisted around until I got some help.

I never have killed an elk with a 30-06, but none of the ones I have shot with a 7 RM would have survived the experiment had I tried. Or a .270, for that matter.

I like the shot. It is less posed and more real. And that beauty of a lefty bolt gun is the star!

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 08/20/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

I like the shot. It is less posed and more real. And that beauty of a lefty bolt gun is the star!

+1. I was looking for the right words and your post pretty much says what I was thinking..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be carrying a Rem 700 loaded with 150 Nosler BT's. Elk and mule deer should be in trouble.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys: Kudos to all!

My favorite personal (present)elk rifles both look like Utah 7/08's,except the bolt handle is on the other side. I presently have two,one chambered 7 Rem Mag and the other 7mm Mashburn Super.I don't know how many more elk hunts I have left but with a tag one of these will get the call.

I try to stay objective about rifle cartridges because they are what they are and do what they do,and nothing more or less. smile

I am also the last person to argue that the 300 magnums and 338's are anything but fantastic elk cartridges,since I have used the various 300's on them myself,and seen the 338's used quite a bit.

I have even been in one outfitted elk camp where it was strongly recommended (but not mandated) that the hunter bring a 300 magnum minimum because ( it was said)that in their experience heavy, tough 30 caliber bullets simply break heavy bone better, penetrate, deeper, and chop bigger wound channels in big bulls than anything lighter (including the various 7mm's).Magnum velocities made long range work easier.

I didn't argue the point since I was using a 300 Weatherby with 200 gr Partitions at the time,but felt the advice was a bit over the top. But digging around a lot of bull elk carcasses pretty much confirmed what they said. I still feel in general that the various 300 magnums with good heavy bullets deserve to be lumped in with the medium bores (in the old days it was not uncommon to see the 300 Weatherby lumped in with the 375 H&H as a cartridge for heavy African plains game).

A lot of this is bullet dependent.But the 7mm magnums work good because the heavy 7mm bullets(say 150-180 gr) nudge into the weight range of medium 30 caliber bullets. Cases with more capacity than the 30/06 start them out at about the same velocity that smaller cases do with lighter bullets;and the good construction of todays bullets insures good penetration and enough integrity and weight to penetrate and break up bone along the way.

Most of this is accomplished with somewhat lighter powder charges than the 300's which, along with slightly lighter bullets, gets you kicked a bit less,which means you can build a somewhat lighter rifle.

These days I shoot a couple of 7mm mags regularly; I also get to shoot a pal's 300 Weatherby.My 7mm's are both lighter;the 300 Weatherby requires a lot more attention and a firmer grip to maintain control than either of my 7mm's.Last session with his 300 Weatherby involved about a box of ammo in an afternoon and I had about had it after that session... blush

Hunkering down and torching off powder charges in the mid-80's behind 200 gr bullets at 3100 fps from a blown out 300 is ok for a few shots, but I'll take a charge of 73 gr with a 175 from the Mashburn for about the same velocity...this may be age related. grin

None of this is "magic",nor "ego", nor expectations of miraculous effect,the presence or absence of belts(another silly notion) or (silliest of all)where you happen to have been born or live...it's pure physics at the "sending" end, and the "receiving" end,and nothing more. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/21/14.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Mad in Texas is great. I just wish more Texans could figure out how to use the damn things. grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob, once again, a fine piece of writing. There is so much sense in what you say here that it really puts a stop to the haggling back and forth over what works and what doesn't. I know these endless discussions over what to use, particularly for elk, don't clarify much for the guy who is new to elk hunting and is seeking advice, but your posts do seem to provide that clarity.

It can't be just age that leads you to prefer less boom for the same effect. It may be the wisdom that comes with seeing and experiencing a wide variety of hunters and guns and animals. Anyone who'd disagree with your choice or rationale wouldn't be worth debating.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is so much sense in what you say here that it really puts a stop to the haggling back and forth over what works and what doesn't.

Yep. Probably the last thread we'll ever see on which cartridge is "best" for elk.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Being a .284 slut I can't resist......... I've got a 7-08, 284win, 7saum, 7rm and a 7rum. My family has proven year in and year out that elk and moose fall to the might 7. I've personally seen more mis-haps with an '06 than any of the 7s..... And the little 160gr partition works in all of them!

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by smokepole
There is so much sense in what you say here that it really puts a stop to the haggling back and forth over what works and what doesn't.

Yep. Probably the last thread we'll ever see on which cartridge is "best" for elk.

I'll put $20 on the other side of that prediction.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
300 Savage or 30-30 for elk: anything else is overkill, used by small-genitalia compensators!?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Actually, I like Bob's traditional approach of more powder for more speed with proven controlled-expansion bullets for longer range shots that can happen often in the wide open West. I went the other way, relying on new high-BC bullets pushed hard out of a std cartridge, but I get why the traditional approach is effective and invites less clownery, as long as the hunter can effectively shoot said Magnums.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'll put $20 on the other side of that prediction.

I'd put $100 on the other side. And then start the thread myself.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jmillo
Being a .284 slut I can't resist......... I've got a 7-08, 284win, 7saum, 7rm and a 7rum. My family has proven year in and year out that elk and moose fall to the might 7. I've personally seen more mis-haps with an '06 than any of the 7s..... And the little 160gr partition works in all of them!

No. I have it on good 'net sources that the 7MM Rem Mag, which was once the definitive elk rifle, is no longer suitable for any big game animal. It will work, marginally at that, on small jackrabbits and rats of all sizes.

BTW, the same 'net geniuses have determined that Bell did not kill upwards of a thousand elephants with a 7x57. According to the same sources, they were really African jackolopes that he killed.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 7MM Rem Mag will kill, and has killed, every single big game animal on our continent.

If I could start anew, I'd buy a .280 Rem & never look back.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys: Kudos to all!

My favorite personal (present)elk rifles both look like Utah 7/08's,except the bolt handle is on the other side. I presently have two,one chambered 7 Rem Mag and the other 7mm Mashburn Super.I don't know how many more elk hunts I have left but with a tag one of these will get the call.

I try to stay objective about rifle cartridges because they are what they are and do what they do,and nothing more or less. smile

I am also the last person to argue that the 300 magnums and 338's are anything but fantastic elk cartridges,since I have used the various 300's on them myself,and seen the 338's used quite a bit.

I have even been in one outfitted elk camp where it was strongly recommended (but not mandated) that the hunter bring a 300 magnum minimum because ( it was said)that in their experience heavy, tough 30 caliber bullets simply break heavy bone better, penetrate, deeper, and chop bigger wound channels in big bulls than anything lighter (including the various 7mm's).Magnum velocities made long range work easier.

I didn't argue the point since I was using a 300 Weatherby with 200 gr Partitions at the time,but felt the advice was a bit over the top. But digging around a lot of bull elk carcasses pretty much confirmed what they said. I still feel in general that the various 300 magnums with good heavy bullets deserve to be lumped in with the medium bores (in the old days it was not uncommon to see the 300 Weatherby lumped in with the 375 H&H as a cartridge for heavy African plains game).

A lot of this is bullet dependent.But the 7mm magnums work good because the heavy 7mm bullets(say 150-180 gr) nudge into the weight range of medium 30 caliber bullets. Cases with more capacity than the 30/06 start them out at about the same velocity that smaller cases do with lighter bullets;and the good construction of todays bullets insures good penetration and enough integrity and weight to penetrate and break up bone along the way.

Most of this is accomplished with somewhat lighter powder charges than the 300's which, along with slightly lighter bullets, gets you kicked a bit less,which means you can build a somewhat lighter rifle.

These days I shoot a couple of 7mm mags regularly; I also get to shoot a pal's 300 Weatherby.My 7mm's are both lighter;the 300 Weatherby requires a lot more attention and a firmer grip to maintain control than either of my 7mm's.Last session with his 300 Weatherby involved about a box of ammo in an afternoon and I had about had it after that session... blush

Hunkering down and torching off powder charges in the mid-80's behind 200 gr bullets at 3100 fps from a blown out 300 is ok for a few shots, but I'll take a charge of 73 gr with a 175 from the Mashburn for about the same velocity...this may be age related. grin

None of this is "magic",nor "ego", nor expectations of miraculous effect,the presence or absence of belts(another silly notion) or (silliest of all)where you happen to have been born or live...it's pure physics at the "sending" end, and the "receiving" end,and nothing more. smile

Good post Bob. I also have a rifle almost like Utah's, but with the bolt on the other side. It's a great deer rifle wink

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: That thing will kill an elk, too! smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll have to sneak up real close and shoot em point blank. It's only a 270 Bob... laugh I'm going to start a new thread titled, "223 rem or 375H&H for elk"??????

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
What is a "270 Bob"--is it related to the .257 Bob?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was responding to Bob, when I said it's a "270 Bob"...It's Bob's favorite, the 270 Winchester...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
300 Savage or 30-30 for elk: anything else is overkill, used by small-genitalia compensators!?

With my handloads, I'd take my 700 Classic in 300 Savage out after elk.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 300 Savage was a pretty popular elk cartridge back before there was a 308. I bet it still kills them dead.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 300 Savage was a pretty popular elk cartridge back before there was a 308. I bet it still kills them dead.

Methinks there have been many dead elk laying under a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage. I might just have to do that myself one year with my Dad's 99 that he took his first elk with.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the local guys hasn't ever used any other cartridge than the .300 Savage on elk, and he's killed a pile of them over the last 35-40 years--and he doesn't even handload.

But he's one of those notorious "resident hunters who can pass up marginal shots."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer,

allow me to retort with a phrase from my native laguage, fitting here:

"Mit voller Hose ist gut stinken..."

Them resident hunters, anyway...

Last edited by Ready; 08/22/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yep, the elk thread to end all elk threads! Gonna miss them! frown

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ready,

Now THAT'S funny!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seemed to recall, you had tight reigns on the german language. Thought it fitting. Glad you enjoy it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

No. This is wrong. Since elk have taken to juicing, bullets from cartridges sans belts fall off of them.

Word has it that Jose Canseco has been seen in the Colorado Rockies with his BALCO team carrying huge caliber syringes. Word in the woods in that anything less than 20MM fired from an Apache won't work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess that last elk that dropped like a deflated balloon that got hit from about 90 yards away with my 35 whelen pitching a mere 250 grain 35 caliber speer must have died of pure boredom.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm going on my first elk hunt this year in Colorado. Using a big 7......

x57

smile

I sure hope it works. I ordered a leopard thong as well

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

x57

smile

Got your bases covered. No Problemo.

7x57 elks�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe,the last pic with the dog,the two of you look...well.... whistle

Nice brace of elk. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

7x57 elks�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lemme guess. All those elk laughed their selves to death when they say you were hunting with that hoary old Mauser. grin

Last edited by hillbillybear; 08/23/14.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice! Showing these pictures to my boy. He's running his 7x57 this Fall for elk in Oregon. He keeps asking if it's enough. I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine. Can't wait to help him start skinning!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

x57

smile

Got your bases covered. No Problemo.

7x57 elks�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The dog's looking at ingwe like, "you dumb fu ck, now we got to pack these things out of here!!!"..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nice! Showing these pictures to my boy. He's running his 7x57 this Fall for elk in Oregon. He keeps asking if it's enough. I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine. Can't wait to help him start skinning!

Wish him luck for me. I hope he gets a nice one. A 7x57 will put an elk down like no body's business. Just don't tell ingwe I said that...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ingwe,the last pic with the dog,the two of you look...well.... whistle

Nice brace of elk. smile

What's he doing to that poor dog eek

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Dunno and I'm gonna leave it there. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Wish him luck for me. I hope he gets a nice one. A 7x57 will put an elk down like no body's business. Just don't tell ingwe I said that...

Will do. I'll make sure you all see pictures. He is shooting really well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's awesome Scotty. I'll be looking forward to the pics. Has he shot many big game animals before?

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great pics!

The only 7 mm magnum I now own is a 280AI.

Together with the perfect 7-08 and standard 280.

My favorite elk rifle is in 35 Whelen. After that come several 30-06s, 270s, and 45-70s

Come to think of it, I don't have a favorite elk caliber. They all work well when I do my part.

I do have favorite rifles, though. The rifles that just feel good when carried through the hills, like the rest of my elk gear.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A 7mm magnum for elk this year? Nope. Not even in recent years. Since 2006 I�ve taken 7 elk using a .30-06 (3), .300WM (2) and .338WM (2). Prior to that, dating back to 1982 when I started elk hunting, all but one of my elk were taken with a 7mm RM. The exception fell to a heavy .45-70 load that makes my .338WM feel tame. This year I�ll be back to a .30-06 simply because Dad gave me the rifle before he passed away and it has never been in the field.

The 7mm RM was the my first bolt rifle and will probably be the last to go. It kicks about like a .30-06 (often less, depending on the specific loads) but shoots faster and flatter. A good 160 grain bullet will reliably put two holes in an elk and drop them quickly, often in their tracks, as my 7mm RM demonstrated over and over again during the 20+ years where it was the only bolt rifle I used.

What I also found over those years and the time since was that I never needed anything else for big game. My longest shots have been 400 yards (.300WM) and 487 yards (.338WM), both well within the capability of the 7mm RM. In fact, they were within the capability of numerous smaller cartridges as well. I don�t believe there has been a single elk I�ve taken where a .308 Win would not have sufficed. Add a .280 Rem, 7x57, 7mm-08, .270Win, .260 Rem, .25-06 and a range of other cartridges to that list. My elk at 487 yards might have been a stretch for my .257 Roberts with the +P 120g A-Frame loads I use but it is unlikely the elk would have gone far, either.

The question is, why use more than enough than is required to assure a quick, clean kill? While many people can shoot magnums with good accuracy, I�ve never seen anyone who could do so that couldn�t shoot non-magnums just as or more accurately. Frankly, the older I get the more I appreciate efficient, light rifles that have reduced recoil. They are easier to carry, easier to shoot and my daughters and nephews like them better, too. It�s a good hunt when they carry the rifles and I can �borrow� one as needed. Call me a wimp, I call it �smart�.

Will my 7mm RM EVER go in the field again? God willing, yes. In the meantime I have two .30-06s, a .300WM and a .30-30, all virgins, that I want to use as well. Too many options, too little time.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I agree with Redfoxx as the 7 RM and 7 Ultra have both made many one shot kills on bull elk for me over the last 32 years. The Ultra seems effective at longer ranges but then my neighbor has made extended range kills with his 7 RM that equals mine with the Ultra. I once used Partitions but changed to 168 grain Berger VLDs about 9 years ago and never looked back. I have never had to shoot one twice with a VLD.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I HAVE A 7 MAG THAT CANNOT BE BOUGHT.IT WAS MY SON'S MODEL 70 AND I LOST HIM 8 YEARS AGO AND EVERY TIME I CARRY IT A PIECE OF HIM WILL ALWAYS GO WITH ME.SOME WHO DON'T HUNT WOULD HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT BUT I KNOW ALOT OF YOU DO.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
American Association of Professional Game Wardens will be discussing big game cartridges this year at their annual convention to be held in Ferguson, MO. They are going to specifically analyze everything .284 for more of big bore. Seems as though a Louisiana fella done filled up a smallish skunk with 175 grainers form a 7MM Rem Mag, and the pest continued its attack. If it weren't for his wife who was totin' 00 buck in a side x side, the hunter would have been a goner. Nine of those big pellets sent that vermin off to Washington where its stench will fit right it.

Another fella out Nevada way done up & tangled with a vicious rhinolope, a close cousin of the jackolope. That pint sized pest soaked up a half dozen big bullets fired from an anemic 7MM Win Shorty Mag. That danged blasted (literally) hair-horn was last seen gouging Harry Reid's a$s up around Carson City.

The convention down low is that the game wardens are gonna require any shootin' iron that's now rifled for .284 caliber bullets to undergo sensitivity training.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CRAGGAR
I HAVE A 7 MAG THAT CANNOT BE BOUGHT.IT WAS MY SON'S MODEL 70 AND I LOST HIM 8 YEARS AGO AND EVERY TIME I CARRY IT A PIECE OF HIM WILL ALWAYS GO WITH ME.SOME WHO DON'T HUNT WOULD HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT BUT I KNOW ALOT OF YOU DO.

CRAGGAR,

I am so sorry about the loss of your son. If I knew what to write to help you ease pain in your heart, you'd be reading it.

There are many items in life that are priceless to us. I know your son's 7MM Rem Mag is priceless to you. Your hunting angel will follow you from above while your hunting.

Peace be with you, my friend.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thank you SansSouci.much appreciated.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Shot a nice bull a couple of years ago with the 175gr. Hornady Spire point on top of a max load of RL22 out of my 7 RM. Considering the damage done and the penetration achieved it would be hard to ask more of a cartridge. It is now loaded with 160gr. Partitions and I expect no less from it.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bought my 1st 7 Rem Mag in 1970 when I was 15, ardent fan of Les Bowman wondered why JOC wasn't smart enuf to listen to him. I had already learned to handle recoil and shoot a 7x57 which I loaded my own ammo for by 15. Shot my 1st whtl buck at 17 with the 7x57 and 140 npt's with 4350. Shot my 2nd whtl buck with the 7 mag,1st antelope and 1st mule buck on my own with knowledge from guys like Les Bowman and Bob Hagel to guide me. Coupla years ago I had a wake and drank a few cold ones for the original stainless barrel on my old 7 mag 700 adl. It wears a newer one now that shoots as good or better than the original. Thousands of rounds ,many different bullets and powder combinations and many dead animals on the ground. Didn't imagine any of it, BTDT. Never did run a round of factory ammo thru it on game. When people have problems with a 7 mm Mag it's because they caused them. They needed to learn how to shoot first, before relying on a high performance tool to make up for their own lack of knowledge, skill, and confidence in what they can do. It's that simple and it don't just pertain to the 7 mag. The 7 just attracted more dilrods than more accomplished nimrods for first time use. Caused by advertising. I enjoy shooting a wide spectrum of calbers and cartridges for the last 45 years, along the way I noticed when you aim them right they all kill correctly. Some of the bullets out there today will get it done full spectrum close or far, any angle or velocity. Some won't, experience teaches that. When people bad mouth a cartridge they are showing their lack of experience not the superiority of it. Some cartridge designs are lacking causing function problems but that is a small %. Good thread like this allways helps clear the air about who knows what and who don't know jack. Magnum Man

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.