Hop To
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The squirrel pot pie turned out excellent! Plus it was super simple. Pie crust, can of mixed veggies, can of cream of mushroom soup, 1TBLSP minced onions, 1TBLSP of garlic pepper, and a qt. baggy of boned out squirrel meat. Dump in pie crust, cover the top with crust. Shove in the oven at 375 degrees for 45-50 mins. or until the crust is golden brown. Make sure you slit the top crust so steam can escape before baking. It's uber good! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My man, that looks great. Telling mawsquaw to make us one..

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by maddog
The squirrel pot pie turned out excellent! Plus it was super simple. Pie crust, can of mixed veggies, can of cream of mushroom soup, 1TBLSP minced onions, 1TBLSP of garlic pepper, and a qt. baggy of boned out squirrel meat. Dump in pie crust, cover the top with crust. Shove in the oven at 375 degrees for 45-50 mins. or until the crust is golden brown. Make sure you slit the top crust so steam can escape before baking. It's uber good! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

Looks awesome!

My squeeze makes a heck of a squirrel pot-pie too! She usually makes a couple large casserole dishes full, for plenty of leftovers and lunches for my work bucket.

It's an especially useful dish for the some of the older/tougher squirrels that can be a bit chewy cooked otherwise.

dave

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
That's a double AMEN on the older/tougher limb chickens! grin

I'm eating a bowl of it for lunch, as I type this.

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Dang, MD, I just ate and now I'm hungry again.

I've been making mine in a big rectangular baking dish, but I think a bunch of one serving round ones would be cool. Wonder if you could make em, freeze em, and bake em?

When I was a kid, mom used to send me and my sisters to school with little meat pies she'd baked out of a stash she'd made and froze. She always made sure we ate good.

Ella

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW Ive made the pot pies, froze them already baked, and when thawed just nuke them in the microwave...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Before I make any more pot pies, I gotta pressure cook me some more old limb chickens and bone em out.....

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
okay boys, where do you get the small individual pie crusts [ie like marie calendar size chicken pot pies]? I'm no good at making the crust, nor do I have those small individual pie pans.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike, I never found the little;e crusts for sale, always use Marie Callendars in the full size, let them cool and set up pretty well, then cut out a wedge! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife just told me the same thing. Next time I make one, I'll cut into 6 wedges and freeze to wedges in tupperware bowls, to go along with the limb chicken chowder that's already in the freezer.

Oh yeah, the last two pieces I heated up from above said pot pie, I topped it off with some Sweet Baby Ray's bbq. DAAUUMMM. that was good! grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 02/03/15.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Bake, wedge, freeze, got it.

I wish I had time to do up a batch tonight. I got a bag of old tough guys that need softening.

And I'd still like to find a stack of those little one serving sizes. I like a lot of crust with the gravy.

Ella

Last edited by Ella; 02/03/15.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Took two shots and missed both on Friday afternoon. Saw a bunch of those raccoon looking fox squirrels, but they're not legal to shot on that WMA. Their behavior is distinct from the legal grays. They like to stay high up traveling, but they're not as flighty as the grays have gotten lately. That's two trips in a row with nothing to show.

Ella

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been sick and couldn't go hunting; made it out this afternoon for a while but didn't find any. Still great to finally be able to get out and get some fresh air, gorgeous afternoon here in Alabama.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It's been pretty down here too. Snuck out this evening for a couple hours and got one, but there's not much moving. Real quiet in the woods.

Ella

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
You boys down south, keep after em. Sure is boring not being able to go limb chicken hunting. Come on Aug.15th! grin

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Missouri season closes February 15th and stays closed until the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Doesn't bother me after killing a big fox squirrel years back that was pregnant with a bunch of well developed babies that I discovered when I field dressed her. I suppose that could happen at other times of the year also but it never has other than this one time and I didn't care for it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Between work and getting sick the skwills have gotten off lucky. Sat morning, they gonna pay..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seeing none again this afternoon. They seem to be extirpated from my pieceof ground. Got to try again tnis weekend at the in-laws place.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I work on a golf course. I run the grounds department. Spring, summer, fall, my Black Mouth Cur goes nuts over all the squirrels on the course. Winter comes and I go out with the pellet gun to shoot some of the thousand squirrels down to him and.......not a damn squirrel to be found anywhere......
talk about frustrating. come April when the snow melts, it warms up and season is closed, they will be EVERYWHERE!!!!

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well boys, it's off season. Mama went to a basketball game tonight. I'm home with ole Dex[aka butthead], and in honor of the evening I just ate two bowls full of Limb chicken chowder. It don't get no finer than that, in Feb. grin

maddog

Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.