Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Uhhhhhhh��

7x57

You're welcome.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Settle on great ammo, procure a decent tube with appropriate twist, punch to AI and shoot the hell out of it. Usually costs well under a grand

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking 7 wsm in a lightweight stock with Talley's and Leupy atop would solve any 0.284 issues that needed solved. The config seems earily familiar. wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe
Uhhhhhhh��

7x57

You're welcome.

Uhhh... more like 7XPOS.

You're UBER welcome.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Brian
chased the lastest greatest and ended up with a pudgy 223. (McMillan A5, Bartlein MTU) the smith lost the donor 204 barrel that I was going to resell and it took me a year to break in the barrel one shot a time with my work schedule. took it prairie dog hunting (my first time) and missed a lot with it. going another route next time i can afford it as im kinda over this rifle

+1?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Uhhhhhhh��
7x57
You're welcome.

Didn't you read anything that 'Stick wrote? 7-08 or GFY. Experts agree.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Is it worth sticking a 7mm-08 in a std length action and throating for heavier bullets? I'm not a fan of short bbls, as I like the front weight, so I'd likely want a 24 even in a 7-08. I've noticed a significant difference in balance between 22 and 24.

Maybe alittle heavier barrel contour would solve your front heavy liking over the 24 inch and would swing nicely

Last edited by laker; 08/13/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whitebread
I find that with builds you are guessing on a lot of stuff. Do you want this stock, that stock, how will it balance with this profile barrel, etc., etc.

I have sold a few because I was not 100% happy with them. And lost a metric ton of money doing so.

Lotsa folks do guess,but yet more than a few KNOW.

The interesting Dichotomy is that the Guessers quickly take offense at their Guessworks...and the Knowers KNOW that to be funny................(hint)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Uhhhhhhh��

7x57

You're welcome.

Uhhh... more like 7XPOS.

You're UBER welcome.

Travis

OK�that about does it!

You are going on Double Secret Uber Probation!

Hows THAT feel? smirk

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Money grows on trees...............

I thought it bubbled up out of the ground?

This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I plan to build a medium to fast 7 before I'm done with this shooting thing. I appreciate the perspectives of those whose shared experiences benefit my approach to my goal.

A medium 6 is also in the plans somewhere...

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Eyesight has degraded to trifocals. Seen enough game to enjoy seeing a bigun walk away. Love the ambiance of a hunting camp. Love hiking the hills and studying sign.

Rivers, streams, and ponds draw me like a duck to water. Love the timber. I guess I like it up close and personal now. My custom is a classic caliber that's deadly accurate and easy on the shoulder, (both weight wise and recoil!)

Remington Model 7
300 Savage
McMillan KS ADL stock
Leupold 6x36mmAO

[Linked Image]
Simple & subtle.

smile
DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhhhh the simple and subtle "look at my hood ornament"..."pardon there are no windshield wipers" approach to oblivious comedy.

Yep it's a "Classic" alright and of the INSTANT variety........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I will dispense with all the details, but one cold, calm, and clear morning in 1995, I killed two meat deer at distances of just over 500 yards and well over 400.

Honestly, this was just a killing. There was nothing sporting about it. Rifle, a light .308.

I have made a couple of longish shots while hunting off my own two feet on desert mule deer with a .30-06, and on one other whitetail with a .300 Savage.

Other than these five shots, I don't think that I ever killed a deer that I wouldn't have been perfectly comfortable using an accurate .30-30.

Examples: I hunted one season with a .257 Wby. Longest shot that year was about 110 yards. Another year, I used a 7 Wby. Long shot was about 180.

I have a couple of you guy's former custom rifles that I like, but as I age, I find them to be more gun than I need. They are both .30-06.

I had an old hand tell me forty years ago, that for Texas hunting, a .25-06 was plenty of gun. (Our elk are isolated and I'm not even sure about seasons, although SIL saw some some, while we were hunting Mulies in the Guadalupes). With the improved bullets we now enjoy, I'm seriously considering taking my trim .243 out of moth balls. I'm in the process of putting some near exhibition wood on a Marlin-Glenfield barreled action. (I may go crazy and put a .25-35 on it).

I have been watching women, kids, and old farts kill stuff with pea shooters for lo these many years. Now that I am an old fart, perhaps they will work for me.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
DMc, I have come to the point to where the comradely of the hunt far exceeds my need to kill. The last three seasons, I have let some nice 10 point deer walk. Knowing that I could have taken them if I wanted to, satisfied the need to hunt.

Last several deer hunts have netted me coyotes, coons, skunks, and porcupine. The first three are hard on quail, and the latter is hard on cattle.

I enjoy the solitude and meditation of taking a stand, either fabricated or improvised, and watching the game interact with one another. Just like people, deer frequently show differing character traits. Mother-in-law always wanted her annual deer. One year I chose for her a big, fat, barren doe that kept chasing other does and yearlings away from a feed plot. The deer community was more peaceful for her demise.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think part of the reason expensive rifles are sold is that spending money on hunting/shooting gear keeps folks feel like they are hunting/shooting. I've been guilty of it. In the past I've let life get to busy to spend as much time as I'd like doing what I want and so spend money on things to keep me "doing" the things I want. It fills a void, but only temporarily. Thus, they sell it to go after the next fix.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Money grows on trees...............

I thought it bubbled up out of the ground?

I suspect someone is either growing it or cooking it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No feat to cut 'em down and scoop it up.

Bubbling is farrrrrrrrrr easier though................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
People are too caught up in building a "hunting" rifle. Build a gun that is fun to shoot year round and take it hunting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Critters don't react very favorably,to good bullets,inserted in good locations.

Headstamps are fairly moot,bullets ain't................

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.