Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Every day they put me in traction and stretch me and it is helping. Wish me luck.

Good luck, with the back and the elk!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a Cow and Deer tag for 36 2nd season, will pick up a OTC bull Tag later.
This may be my last general season hunt, thinking of going to muzzle loaders to get into warmer weather.
Cold and snow just about have me whipped
Age sucks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Six of us heading into the Wind River Range in Unit 97 for Wyoming's first rifle hunt. Twelve miles in on horseback to a wilderness camp for a 6 day hunt.

Looking forward to it!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck Don. You left out the good juicy parts like what rifle/load you will be using laugh wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Of course I have plans. Same as every year: Going with my ex-boss to the same place as usual. Just right outside his back door. His house borders the national forest. We'll both be packing 338 win mags loaded with some kind of 250gr. pill. Don't worry, we both know how to use them and don't "overthink" the rifle/load bit. Our main concern is dragging them out of the woods after they are down. This may take chainsaw winches and a lot of rope and carts and pack frames but hey that's elk hunting. As far as my clothes, boots and packs, they are always ready and so are the rifles. Just throw and go as far as that chit is concerned. Good luck to everyone going elk hunting this year and be safe....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has been 18 years since I hunted in the Selway Wilderness so it is long overdue. Started out with 4 guys committed in February now just two of us.

I am taking my big gun again...7x57 Mauser and 160 grain Nosler Partitions.

Good luck everyone.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Started out with 4 guys committed in February now just two of us.

That's why I always hunt with my ex-boss. He's always there and very dependable. We've been hunting together for 10 years now and even though we don't work together anymore, when we see each other it's like no time has passed. Good to have a hunting partner you can depend on.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have a cow tag for fort peck then over thanksgiving the fianc� and I will be heading for the Crazy Moutains.

M
M
Hit the lottery after 30 some years of applying for either sex tag in the Misourri Breaks. 14 year old grandson also drew an either sex tag in the same area. My son, 2 grandsons and myself also drew cow tags in the same area, 6 tags total? Go figure after that many years??? Oldest grandson shooting his 300RUM with 180GR Accubonds, Son's useing his 300 RUM with 180 Lost River Ballistics. The younger granson (much smaller than his big brother)and being his first year of hunting will be packing a 308 woth 165 gr TSX's. I'm probably takin' my old reliable '06 w/180gr TSX's or maybe use the 30/378 with 200gr Accubonds. Even though this will probably be my last elk hunt because of health and age I'm really stoked about getting the boys into elk. I hunted this area with bow for 15 years before they put it into a draw area so I'm sure some of the old hidey holes will still have elk hanging around.

Mt_Shooter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
New Mexico archery Elk 16A first hunt .Thought I was going to cancel for health reasons . Buddies scouting and sends photos and rejuvenates me. The worst day elk hunting has to be better than the best day working.Ready.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sidepass
New Mexico archery Elk 16A first hunt .Thought I was going to cancel for health reasons . Buddies scouting and sends photos and rejuvenates me. The worst day elk hunting has to be better than the best day working.Ready.

Great hunt.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good luck Don. You left out the good juicy parts like what rifle/load you will be using laugh wink

Thanks Lawrence,

I will probably be taking my Kimber Montana in 300 WSM, with 180 gr TTSX, but I could end up with a Rem 700 in .338 WM, with 210 gr TSX. confused

So many rifles...so little time. crazy

Good luck to you, as well.

Don

Last edited by donsm70; 08/16/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. Like someone else said, the hardest part is finding them. The unit I hunt has a 3% success rate, but I always go in with a good attitude...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Beings I can see the mountains of Area 36 from my house and Did Not draw an area 35 tag (which I can also see from the house) I guess 36 it is again, May the weather stay warm and dry til November......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by donsm70
Six of us heading into the Wind River Range in Unit 97 for Wyoming's first rifle hunt. Twelve miles in on horseback to a wilderness camp for a 6 day hunt.

Looking forward to it!

donsm70
There is Grizzs down that far so keep an eye out and Good Luck!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by donsm70

Looking forward to it!

donsm70
There is Grizzs down that far so keep an eye out and Good Luck!

We've been there the last two years and haven't seen one yet, but we will watch for them.

Thanks. Don

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just a late season cow hunt for me again this year to fill the freezer since I didn't draw again this year...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leaving on the 18th of September for Gunnison, CO. Heading to unit 54.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
North Eastern Oregon any bull tag and a deer tag next unit over. taking my daughter for both hunts... it will be her second year.. she's not hunting but loves to be out there. next year she will be carrying.

Last edited by Dre; 08/16/14.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Goin' elk hunting this November. The boy drew his AZ U10 late rifle tag we've been putting him in for the past 8 years.

Have spent the last month looking at maps, handloading, buying chit I "need" wink , getting packs together, truck cleaned out, organized, and loaded up.

Spent the last 6 months getting in shape. Can't say that had everything to do with my son's elk hunt, as I started getting in shape before we knew he drew his tag. BUT, was due to my nephew's elk hunt last year I helped out on. Got my azz handed to me on that hunt, and decided it would never happen again. Have dropped 38 lb's so far, and plan on dropping the last 13 or so before we head out in November. Damn near in the best shape I've ever been in, with 3 more months to go.

Heading out next week for our first scouting trip. Kid is flying in from Kansas Tuesday. Once we're out, going to get him throwing a couple hundred rounds downrange at the 10" gong out to 500 yards from field positions over the course of the week.

Then I will be heading out over deer season, same unit, as I (and my nephew) drew deer tags for that same unit. My mission during that trip will be primarily scouting locations for the elk hunt, secondly finding a buck for the nephew to hang a tag on, and lastly, should I glass up a nice buck, I'll see if I can hang my tag on it.

Finally, heading out week of Thanksgiving, one week before the boy's elk hunt, to try and locate the bulls in the previous areas we've scouted. Then the season opens day after Thanksgiving.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.