-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
But I only see 4? What gives? Looking for some dusky grouse insight.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RB trims them down I think monthly.

What you looking for with the renamed Blue Grouse?

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just tips and best practices . I'll be hunting area 15 in advance of elk season. I've hunted sage grouse, but that's a different game out in the sagebrush.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the bottom of the forum page, the one before this one that shows the topics, there's an option "Show topics - active in the last month." You can change this to "active in the last year" or whatever to see more posts.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
At the beginning of the season, most of the hens with broods will be on their way uphill to the winter range from the places along creeks and rivers and shrub/aspen patches they spent the summer in. Males will have been on the winter range since July, and lots of hens that nested unsuccessfully or lost broods and didn't re-nest will be up there with them. Other hens will be traveling with successful hens and their broods, like old aunts. They are a moving target until about the first of October, and sometimes later, depending on the fall. I researched them for five years, and nobody knows even now what triggers movement from lower elevations to higher elevations, but maybe the vegetation drying up lower down.
Blue grouse move to timber around older clear-cuts, and meadows up near timberline, eating all sorts of flower buds, berries, and leaves, then switch to pine, fir, and Douglas-fir needles when snow covers the ground. Early in the season hens with broods can be found everywhere from the edge of the forest to midway up to timberline. Driving roads the first two or three hours of the morning and last two hours before dark will help locate them. Walking the upper ends of drainages and the semi-open timber/meadow habitat of places like Battle Pass and Bridger Peak works, as does hunting the aspen patches high up on the mountain where there is still succulent vegetation. Blackhall Mountain has also been good, along with the country around Battle Lake. Blue Grouse do not like thick timber, it has to be open timber. Since the beetle kill, more blue grouse are spending time in the younger lodgepole timber between middle-aged clear-cuts, because it was not killed by beetles. They will be found anywhere there is Douglas-fir, even those big old trees scattered on south slopes with sagebrush and aspen patches.
Last year harvest of blue grouse declined by 40% in the Sierra Madre and Snowy Range because the hatch was lousy, although the Sierras were better than the Snowies. Let's hope the snow in early June when the young grouse were hatching didn't do the same this year.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You're making me homesick. I grew up hunting elk on Blackhall and the Sierra Madre.

I'll be 150 miles or so south of there. Thanks for the tips.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.