-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Early 20th century Bible scholar John Scofied wrote a piece titled "The Poetical Books of the Bible".

So "poetical" is in the Bible........sorta, kinda.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just noticed this thread, and haven't read all the posts.

The problem with "irregardless" seems to stem from the "less" combined with the "ir". Doesn't that make "irregardless" a double negative?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paul, when I was young, we had a minister who was in love with the word "irregardless". He would use it every Sunday, and this was followed up by Mom's ranting against its use at Sunday dinner. This method of reinforced learning to which I was exposed probably was very effective.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No doubt!

So, do you agree with my take on it?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
But the rules for all them words and phrases and stuff only count inside colleges and lawyer's offices. Them stuffed shirts figure they're keepin' the language alive and maintainin' structure.

The fact is, they're only makin' it harder for people to communicate - like when Nelford bought his farm. Damn legal documents! Them lawyers told Nelford all the words was written to protect him...and charged him hundreds of dollars for it! The only people who could truly understand any of it was other lawyers! I just suggested that he save his money, buy a box of shells for his 30-30, and take them both along when he went to sign the deal. That would keep the meanings simple. Rip me off and you know where it's goin'!

Most of your common folk don't know and don't care about things like 'e after i as in berries and pies', or addin' ED to verbals for past tensiles. Thinked, drinked, etc. All that's too hard to remember!

I think that's why I hated school so much. Miss Karbunkle didn't like us to say things like, "Hi! How are ya'll doin'?" She called it crude or something. I just called it bein' friendly.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paul - definitely!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then again we lawyers could always go back to using Latin phrases, wouldn't that be lovely. (Perhaps we could up the fees if we did? grin ) Considering the clarity of well adjudicated terms of art, there is little harder to read than an "easy reading" insurance contract.

Time and place for everything.

One of the more pitiful things I've seen was a farmer in a law library trying to make sense of a legal question. The more the library assistant tried to help the worse it got. He would've made the perfect poster child for, "My head is about to explode!"

On the other hand given enough time I may be able to figure out how to start a tractor.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No need for Latin - a 30-30 works fine. Its clarity is staggerin'.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yes indeed. Res ipsa loquitur in spades! laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"You tark too funny GI. Armost poeticar.", said the Saigon bar girl.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own, and you know what you know.
And you are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a job at a company that has been in business since 1957 building large, powerful machines controlled by a computer (like a PLC but more specialized). I was the first electrical/controls engineer ever hired by that company and they didn't understand a word I said. Left after two years. I wasn't stupid enough for them.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thank goodness you were smart enough to realize that.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My late Aunt, a retired English teacher, would always correct our speech. I hated that and never quite understood the rules of English. Thankfully I heard it spoken reasonably well and know what sounds right/correct. I am sure Aunt Laura could find many flaws, but I get by. Using correct punctuation on the other hand, is a struggle.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the topic of $5 words, mine is Sesquipedalian. grin

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
English grammar is bad enough but what we really need is a total do-over of English spelling.

I thought I got some tough dough. I lost my comb at Grant’s Tomb when a bomb went off near here. Use it or lose it, and don’t lose your loose change, hold it close.

I’m always surprised that furriners speak English as well as they do, I’m amazed that any of them can spell anything write, I mean right - which is ungrammatical, they spell it correctly.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Just read the thread that sparked this one.

Misspelled and made up words bug me in all media, even this wondrous outpost.

The one grinding my gears lately is the use of "loose" when benighted writers mean "lose".

That one has bothered me for years. I've had two bosses that did it but they were the type of people you did not correct.

I do not understand how a projectile can loose velocity.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same way a loose wench loses everything that means anything. Unless she's from La Grange.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=Jim in Idaho} ... I’m always surprised that furriners speak English as well as they do ... [/quote]

I dearly wish that they would learn to use a, an, and the.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm teaching an ESL course right now, and the Saudis especially have trouble with articles. In addition, they have trouble remembering the period belongs right after the last letter in a sentence, not at the start of the subsequent sentence and not floating between the two. I'm guessing they don't have articles and periods in Arabic?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by cdb
I do not understand how a projectile can loose velocity.

It's quite simple really. Improperly assembled bullets require tweaking before use. Even match bullets are out of adjustment from the manufacturer.

One of the reloading/preloading checklist steps is to employ a bullet wrench. It tightens the bullet in preparation for loading, so that groups will be smaller. I believe that it has been discussed here before.

Top level competitors and some hunters utilize a number of specialty tools to produce top accuracy. They include:

Bullet wrenches
Powder filters (aka propellant grain uniformers)
Case lathes, bullet lathes (old school, hand lathe, new school - CNC)
Case neck torque wrench (aka brassing tool - uniforms neck tension)
pneumatic case neck neck straightener (aka bending tool)
magnetic primer alignment bath (magnets align the primer composition for uniform burning)
sonic cartridge shelf (aka shaker, used at the bench to uniform loaded cartridges)
Bullet Balm (aka bullet cream, vaporub - bullet jacket homogenizer)

There are others, but personally, I don't bother with the primer bath anymore. Primers are made much better than even ten years ago.

At one time, I used a cartridge refrigerator to keep the unfired cases at a specific temperature, but abandoned that idea because not all ranges had 110 plugs. A friend suggested a battery powered model, but it was too expensive!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.