Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
Are they both capable of the same accuracy?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Your question is asked without any specifics but I will assume that you are asking about 22 sporters. The Cooper 57M and an Anschutz in the 1700 series would be comparable as comparisons.

The short answer is yes. I have owned a pile of Anschutz sporters and three Cooper 57M and I have found that there was more difference in individual rifles that there were between manufacturers. I have had Coopers that shot as well an my Anschutz and Anschutz that shot as well as my Coopers. To be realistic there was not a nickels worth of difference between any of them.

The Cooper is an updated "Americanized" version of the Anschutz 54 Action. The Cooper design combines the best of the Anschutz, Winchester Model 52 and Remington 40X features.

Personally I prefer the ergonomics of the Cooper stocks over the Anschutz stocks.

If there is a plus in the Anschutz column it would be the trigger which is a bit better, but the negative would be that it is also more complex and subject to occasional breakage. Another negative to the Anschutz is weak ejection causing the fired cases to end up laying on top of the magazine, an issue they have been aware off for years but have not addressed.

Cooper - should you need warranty repair - no issue

Anschutz - I had an issue with a new one and I never want to go through that much hassle again.

Cooper - Big Plus - made in the USA by American workers and is an American owned company.

Probably too much info for a short question but since I have had quite a few years experience with both so I threw it all out there.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IMHO, Cooper over Annie.

DF

A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
Drover 22 lr was what I was wanting to hear about, and you answered my questions and more, been leaning towards a Cooper Classic as I prefer it's overall appearance, but wanted to hear about other experiences....now if DF will make me a good deal on his Classic I'd be all set smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I traded for it and got a good deal, probably have under a grand in it. And, I found a rimfire Kahles 2-7. This is the best .22LR rifle/scope combo I've ever used. The trigger is super. I've knocked squirrels out of trees at 50 yds, offhand more than once.

I may be a hard ole coot to deal with on this one... blush

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
I can see why...that is a very nice setup!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To compare with an Annie. Here is my model 1717 in .17 HMR. The wood is OK, but not as good as the Cooper.

I traded a .22LR Annie (54 action) some years ago. I didn't like the safety and the wood was pretty blah. The trigger wasn't quite as good as the Cooper and the Cooper outshot it, although not by that much.

This .17 HMR has shot .20" three shot groups at a hundred with CCI TNT rounds. It likes TNT bullets better than plastic tips.

But, you can't compare a .17 HMR with a .22LR.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
These are two outstanding rimfires and you couldn't go wrong here with either choice. I have owned a few of both and found them to be equally accurate, I only had trouble out of one Cooper 57, the thing wouldn't eject fired cases properly so I sent it back to Montana for a fix, two months later I got back a rifle that wouldn't feed or eject properly, very long story short after I sent the rifle back to Montana for a second time (at My own expense as Cooper didn't even offer to send a call tag) I finally got My rifle back and it did function properly..........I do like the look and feel of the Cooper 57 better than the Annie but I wasn't crazy about Cooper service.............Hb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Annie 54's occasionally have a fail-to-eject issue too, but no warranty service is available... There's no excuse for a $1200 gun to not function as it should, and they should all have nice wood (like Ruger model 1's always do!)

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A notch down from these rifles are the CZ and Ruger, both great guns and very accurate. One could do worse...

DF

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I do not care for claro walnut or oil finish on the coopers, the oil finish on the new Annies does not light up my happy board either. The french walnut on the Coopers is pretty ho-hum.
I have 1 Cooper �ok gun, and many Annies mostly older ones, several exemplars ,I prefer the older guns.
I have tried really hard to get excited about Coopers, if they ever find some nice wood���������
Cisco

Last edited by cisco1; 08/19/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Are they both capable of the same accuracy?

Yes i have both in LH 17HMR and the difference in the accuracy between the two isn't worth mentioning .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

Other than handles on the wrong side... shocked

DF

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've had 1 Annie and 2 Coopers, I prefer the Coopers, I find the Cooper trigger to be very good when adjusted and lubed correctly,as good as my 52C or 40XB, but I don't go much below 1.5 lbs.
I've got no problem with Cooper wood,you can pretty much spec whatever you want, I don't care for the Annie's wood most are very plain.
Accuracy wise I've managed to equal the factory 1 hole test target at 50 yards with both Coopers, fairly easy.
My 2 current Coopers,
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think Cooper wood is quite nice and your rifles are some fine examples.....Beautiful rifles, congrats!.................Hb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.