Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
A while back i posted about our chief liking my P226

Well a few oter guys at work and myself have been relentless in the harrassment of him about them. News today, the town won't spend the money on them. However, the town solicitor, our chief and our firearms instructors are in the process of writing up a policy allowing them to be privately purchased and carried on duty

I haven't seen the writing yet, but scuttlebutt says the p226 in any flavor as long as it's Da/Sa and in 357 Sig will be approved.

Apparently there is still quite a bit of logistics to sort trough but it's a step

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That, is one helluva carry piece. The Virginia State Police have loved theirs for many years. You could do, or have to carry, far worse.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had one in 357 sig, but the P226 is the best 9mm I have ever owned and I have had three of them. Had several other 9mm's and there is no comparison when it comes to full size pistols. Wish I still had the first 226 I owned.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
We are carrying Glock 31 357 Sigs now. We just got them a little over a year ago, and wanted Sigs then, but it was, as always a money issue

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
357 sig in a SIG, sweet! Good round and great platform. Texas DPS reports great things as well as the Alaskan State Police.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You'd have a hard time separating me fromy 229, but.......

The issued sidearm would have to be atrocious before I ditched it to carry my own. The NH AG likes to hang onto schit longer than necessary. They can have the Chief's....one of the reasons that it's next to the bed at night, etc.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Texas DPS was in the process of switching to M&P 9mm's. Now it appears they are gonna stick with their Sigs in .357 sig.
I never understood why they wanted to "fix" something that wasn't broken in the first place. They have been carrying those same Sigs for at least the last 15 years.

Only drawback is that we WON'T be getting a great deal on used TxDPS Department Trade In Sigs in .357 Sig. anytime soon.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NH K9
You'd have a hard time separating me fromy 229, but.......

The issued sidearm would have to be atrocious before I ditched it to carry my own. The NH AG likes to hang onto schit longer than necessary. They can have the Chief's....one of the reasons that it's next to the bed at night, etc.

George

I hear what you're saying George. My honest hope is that this will sort of move a dept adoption quicker. Around here it's very common for personal firearms to be carried, especiialy with some of the smaller depts that run on a part time staff.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I had to slum a Ruger P90 for the first chunk of my career. Its two redeeming qualities were: .45 acp and I had the perfect impact weapon if it ran dry. Despite what it was, I was still faithful though my personal stash was "better". The exception, of course, being my 642. If it comes down to that, though, I'll gladly hand it over and be thankful for its presence.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I think that Sig does DA/SA better than anybody else, it still adds two unnecessary variables (DA/SA transition and decock) into the training mix. It is old technology. I like the DAK a lot, but I would not carry a DA/SA unless somebody made me. I remember guys in New Orleans in the early nineties talking about the first shot in their Beretta 92Fs as a freaking THROWAWAY so they could get to the single action follow up shots! Wuh?

The amount of time spent in an evidence locker is a trivial issue if it ever winds up there.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08/21/14.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
While I think that Sig does DA/SA better than anybody else, it still adds two unnecessary variables (DA/SA transition and decock) into the training mix. It is old technology. I like the DAK a lot, but I would not carry a DA/SA unless somebody made me. I remember guys in New Orleans in the early nineties talking about the first shot in their Beretta 92s as a freaking THROWAWAY so they could get to the single action follow up shots! Whuh?

The amount of time spent in an evidence locker is a trivial issue if it ever winds up there.

Yep! Texas State Troopers went to the DAK trigger several years ago. Troppers I know still prefer the DAK trigger over all other options.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Texas DPS was in the process of switching to M&P 9mm's. Now it appears they are gonna stick with their Sigs in .357 sig.
I never understood why they wanted to "fix" something that wasn't broken in the first place. They have been carrying those same Sigs for at least the last 15 years.

Only drawback is that we WON'T be getting a great deal on used TxDPS Department Trade In Sigs in .357 Sig. anytime soon.

Scuttlebut is that the transition is still in the works, the only thing that has changed is the timeline. The issues cited are pretty vague, and even then, reported only by cadets in the academy. I have spoken to a few guys "in the know" and the agency is still pretty dead set on the M&P9, once they figure out if the issues truly are issues.

I carried a Sig for a while when I first started, and cannot honestly think of a gun I would rather carry less. I will keep my polymer and strikers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I remember guys in New Orleans in the early nineties talking about the first shot in their Beretta 92s as a freaking THROWAWAY so they could get to the single action follow up shots! Whuh?

I've heard the same thing and it's infuriating. I watched a guy trying out a Sig DA/SA and a Glock back to back to see what he wanted to be issued. The Glock gave him consistent "7 ring" type hits every time. The Sig was a wee bit tighter, except that the first round rarely even hit the silhouette. And he chose the Sig.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A 92F is about 0.10 slower for a first rd hit at 7yd for most folks, that is those who are adequately trained. I'm of the opinion that many, with enough trigger time, can erase that difference. What little Sig time I have makes me think the Sig would be a lot easier to manage than the 92F.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Seems I misundersyood what was told to me

After talking to one of our Supervisors, i was mistaken when I said the pistols had to be Da/Sa only. Any Double Action will be allowed, they will not allow SAO pistols. Personally, I don't have a problem with the Da/Sa triggers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.