Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone have first-hand experience with MT Rifle Co rifles?

Looking at a lightly used Extreme Weather version with ss.

Read up on them a bit but curious to know someone's personal experience.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have owned 2, both SS barreled actions put in McMillans. Sold one, will keep the other for many years. No issues with them at all, both were accurate. Only sold the one because it was a 358 Norma, and when I sold it, I still lived in AL. The other is a 308 Norma. They are a little on the heavy side.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They are really accurate in my experience.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a friend's new MRC in 260 in stainless with a synthetic stock last week.

After 7 or 8 shots and a good barrel cleaning, it was well below 1" with the first box of ammo we tried - Federal 120 gr. Ballistic Tips.

It is easy to shoot well, and looks like a pre-64 M70 with some solid improvements - better gas protection in the rear, heavier firing pin spring, better bolt release, and a nicely bedded stock, which was comfortable.

As HD noted, they are a bit on the heavier side, but feel very solid and well built, with tight lock up. Make sure to put some grease on the bolt and lugs. His is very tight, but a touch of grease really made it nice.

I liked it so much, I am eyeing one in the near future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out of 5 (270 wsm's 325 wsm and 7mm wsm) only one 270 wsm was kept. That 270 WSM refused to shoot ANY load over 1"..no matter what. The rest were TRASH!!!!!!!!!

All others went down the road due to abysmal accuracy issues.
If you go here and look under "hunting rifles" you can find a "How to fix a Montana" thread that outlines all the problems that plague them. Magazine relief (it binds) stock relief around action etc.

Now in My opinion a $1k plus rifle should not need a thing to shoot well. If Tikka savage howa wby vanguards can do it for half the money...................

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Fotis
Out of 5 (270 wsm's 325 wsm and 7mm wsm) only one 270 wsm was kept. That 270 WSM refused to shoot ANY load over 1"..no matter what. The rest were TRASH!!!!!!!!!

If you go here and look under "hunting rifles" you can find a "How to fix a Montana" thread that outlines all the problems that plague them. Magazine relief (it binds) stock relief around action etc.

Now in My opinion a $1k plus rifle should not need a thing to shoot well. If Tikka savage howa wby vanguards can do it for half the money...................

Wasn't that thread about the early Kimber Montana's and not the Montana Rifle Company rifle? Or am I confused (easily done).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually you're correct and I am totally wrong! I misread the original post!!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
great rifles for the price, Ive had several and they all shot well

a tad bit heavy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting...when you guys say"down the road",are you saying you have sold a new rifle that has problems?
If so,why not contact the manufacture? They built it and most all honor their warranty?
I think dumping it on the "used gun" market allows for two things that aren't good...one an unsuspecting buyer now has a problem child and the builder gets off scot-free and thinks everything is fine.....??

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifle
Interesting...when you guys say"down the road",are you saying you have sold a new rifle that has problems?
If so,why not contact the manufacture? They built it and most all honor their warranty?
I think dumping it on the "used gun" market allows for two things that aren't good...one an unsuspecting buyer now has a problem child and the builder gets off scot-free and thinks everything is fine.....??
Like many -- all -- of your posts, you begin with a logical thought and then quickly descend into stupidity. Not to mention you're way the f*ck off-topic anyway.

I have yet to see ANY manufacturer not "warranty" any firearm because the current owner wasn't the original purchaser. Which pretty well means the point of your "query" is the usual pointless, inane, self-serving bullshit which is your hallmark.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Tarkio

I have an ASR in 7x57. Nice rifle and very accurate with anything that goes down the pipe. I've been thinking about an XWR for quite a while but I'm an old curmudgeon: wood and blued steel...although matte works as well. But that's just aesthetics for me. If you like the rifle I don't think you'll be sorry.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have an ASR in .338 RUM and it being a tad heavy is okey-dokey with me. wink

Shot this group with 250 gr Nosler Partitions @ 100 yds.
[Linked Image]

Killed this cow elk with 210 gr NP's. The shot was somewhere around 75-100 yds.

[Linked Image]

Rifle & elk.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis

Wrong brand dude.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tarkio

I've owned two, both the XWR-SS version. One was a 7-08, the other a 260.

They both shot extremely well and function was flawless. They were throated nicely too. No problem determining jump within mag confines. They were finished extremely well to boot.

The only knock is weight. They're not too heavy, but definitely not lightweights.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it the case that the short action version of the MRC is longer than most others and allows an OAL of approx 3"+?

I heard this somewhere but as MRC's website has been down for so long I've not been able to verify it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep. Their short actions have a roomy mag box. IIRC, it's right around 3". I'll get an exact measurement when I get home later.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just checked...

3.150" on the short action 260..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Just checked...

According to Mule Deer their short action is really an intermediate action, perfect for rounds like the old 7x57.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by rifle
Like many -- all -- of your posts, you begin with a logical thought and then quickly descend into stupidity. Not to mention you're way the f*ck off-topic anyway.

I have yet to see ANY manufacturer not "warranty" any firearm because the current owner wasn't the original purchaser. Which pretty well means the point of your "query" is the usual pointless, inane, self-serving bullshit which is your hallmark.

I guess re-hab didn't work for you, someone flush again!

Last edited by rifle; 08/28/14.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Just checked...

According to Mule Deer their short action is really an intermediate action, perfect for rounds like the old 7x57.

Yeah.

Kimber .308 box mag length, IIRC, is 2.81".

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.