Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I picked up a used 700 for a steal in 270 Win for the action. The factory bbl had rust in the grooves, but I had to give it a run for the heck of it Saturday eve despite the 105+ heat index. 3 shots with factory ammo showed an inch. Then a random handload in FL brass with 130NBTs way off the lands over 59g H4831 put the first 3 @ about 3/8in, 4th still under 3/4in, and 5th blew wide open. Could have fried bacon on it after the factory ammo, so w/o cooling time you can imagine how hot it was for the 5 w/o cooling.

[Linked Image]

Kinda funny how we like our bbls spick and span, but this old rust bucket still has game laugh

SS 30-06 bbl to be on her soon.

Anyone want a accurate rusted 270 pull off?

Ingwe, you want me to send this with the open sights and see thru mounts? laugh

I spent prob 1.5hrs with 40X and CR10 after shooting. She's now a polished turd.

Have a good one,

loder

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not that uncommon. I have a 721 300 savage with a huge rust spot towards the end of the barrel and it still shoots pretty good. Seen several rusty mod 70 s that would shoot...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I owned a gun with a rusty barrel. Shot great for about 10 rounds then quickly tapered off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The larger the bore diameter and the slower the velocity(case capacity),the more forgiving such things are................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The larger the bore diameter and the slower the velocity(case capacity),the more forgiving such things are................

I didn't know that. How does the principle work? 3 shots into 3/8" and I'd have the rifle as a 270!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find it curious,that you felt compelled to state that you did not know,like it was factored that you did. Pretty funny!

Thin jackets of high RPM,ain't happy to bounced along...............(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Had an '06 with pitted bbl that didn't shoot worth chit until half a box thru it - then shot 1.5 groups thereafter. Shot a chit-load of game with a green-patch bbl... over about a decade...

Eventually re-barreled it to .280 and gave it away. Just wasn't the same.. lost trust in it... smile

On the other hand, I've encountered several rusty and not-noticably rusty barrels that went far the other way, and nothing could make 'em shoot...

I just swapped out a formerly bug-hole 270 bbl on a M98 that my brother stored over-winter in a damp basement..Nothing I could do thereafter (could make it shoot under 5" MOA again (believe me, I tried, and I am a trained gunsmith), and there was no visible rust pitting in the bore. The replacement '06 heavy bbl goes 2" +- at 300 yards...not quite as good as the former .270 bbl. but good enough!

He gave it back to me after 20+ years "loan" after it "quit shooting". .... smile I'm whacking the hell out of caribou now with the new '06 bbl....

Had a .25-06 RU77V that always threw the first round thru a clen bbl about 3 inches high and left. subsequent rounds would go MOA to poibt of aim. With neck-sized handloads. factory loads all went 5" groups at 100 yards... Probably an over-sized chamber.

But whatever it takes....

If the gun is shooting well, don't mess with it. Patches are cheap for between season storage.

Last edited by las; 08/29/14.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I find it curious,that you felt compelled to state that you did not know,like it was factored that you did. Pretty funny!

Thin jackets of high RPM,ain't happy to bounced along...............(hint)

Yes, Enlightened One, I am an idiot. I am not worthy to even ask questions of you, Guru. I humbly apologize.

I've seen old rifles and rough bores shoot vastly better when thoroughly fouled. Likewise, thin jackets and cast bullets shot better in these bores. I figured that had to do with the bullets' ability to deform more under pressure and slug up better. I've only played with a handful of these though.

I'll happily admit to what I don't know, and I'm willing to be schooled. I'll also happily admit to what I do know. I don't happily accept ridicule. I understand though that it has nothing to do with me. A sock in the pants isn't necessary if one is well-endowed, to put it roughly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No need to reiterate your Cluelessness,as it is beyond crystalline every time you attempt an "answer".

I must have missed it,where folks were talking about the "sanctity" of sterile bores and the vast "Precision" they yield,as per the particulars of a compromised spout.

Bitchin' Whine!................

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well, I was reading just that this morning in the Hornady #7, that clean bores shoot better. I know that benchresters shoot clean bores purposefully. I think the 'rule' has exceptions, and I have seen a few.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Well, I was reading just that this morning in the Hornady #7, that clean bores shoot better. I know that benchresters shoot clean bores purposefully. I think the 'rule' has exceptions, and I have seen a few.

That much STUPIDITY in a pile,rates quoting...for future hilarity!

Your Imagination is taking you places that don't exist,but PLEASE continue to Pretend that they do.

Wow!...................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.