Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey John:

The next time you talk with Craig "I-Like-A-Cannon" Boddington, tell him that he needs to tread lightly on the legend and legacy of WDM Bell!! grin

Actually, he wrote an interesting article in the current issue of G&A. I'm still trying figure out, though, how he figures that Bell didn't shoot 1000+ elephants with the .275. I'm not saying he did or didn't, but is CB saying that his total with all rifles was 1000+, not just the .275? Somehow I missed how he explained it in the article.

I'll post a picture of the first big old boar I shoot DRT with my new Boddington No 1 in 7x57. You can forward it to him and tell him "little guns" work just fine on big old pigs. laugh

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember Bell saying in print that he slew 800 some Bull Elephants with his .275 Rigby alone. Of course he killed a passel of them with his .256 Mann. and .318 WR, and .450/400 as well putting his lifetime total around 2K as I remember.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not to mention all the Game Bell killed with a 7x57

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
. . . putting his lifetime total around 2K as I remember.

Which is a boatload!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Of course. How could we forget that!???

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It is a well know fact that all game animals have become tougher since the Interweb was invented. You are not a man, nor a hunter if you don't shoot somthing with the word "magnum" in it.

Face facts - the 7 mauser, 7x08, 6.5swede and all other "mild" cartridges will not penetrate, nor kill any game animal in these modern times......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can't remember if Bell killed more elephant with a .275 Rigby or a 7X57? Somebody help me out. grin

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I can't remember if Bell killed more elephant with a .275 Rigby or a 7X57? Somebody help me out. grin

I think he used the Rigby when hunting in English colonies, the Mauser when hunting in German/Dutch ones.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Okay! Whatever happened to Boom Boom????

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RevMike

I think he used the Rigby when hunting in English colonies, the Mauser when hunting in German/Dutch ones.

Good show, Old Bean!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Okay! Whatever happened to Boom Boom????

Craig "Boom Boom" Boddington?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rev: you left out a buttload of elephant he killed with a pair of .303s�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
No, Bell's Mauser Broomhandle with accompanying shoulder stock! The locals named it "Boom Boom".

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
No, Bell's Mauser Broomhandle with accompanying shoulder stock! The locals named it "Boom Boom".

I had forgotten Boom Boom !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm sure that took an elephant too!!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Rev: you left out a buttload of elephant he killed with a pair of .303s�.

Yep, he did. CB's article talks about two .416s that he ordered from Rigby.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bell must have had HUGE Cahones to walk right in amongst a big herd of elephants and start blasting away with brain shots and a pee shooter like that. Got to admire the man for his courage!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/28/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
It is a well know fact that all game animals have become tougher since the Interweb was invented. You are not a man, nor a hunter if you don't shoot somthing with the word "magnum" in it.

Face facts - the 7 mauser, 7x08, 6.5swede and all other "mild" cartridges will not penetrate, nor kill any game animal in these modern times......

Actually, the movement was well underway in the '60's (maybe before, but that's when I started reading magazines.) "It makes a helluva noise; it packs a helluva wallop."

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JA Hunter said Bell picked off his elephants at a distance. He said in Bell's day the elephants were found on the open plains and Bell didn't get up close and personal with them the way JA Hunter had to in his day. He also said Bell tried to recreate his success later in life (with his .275)after the elephants had changed their habits to being more forest dwellers and the safari was a dismal failure and Bell was lucky to escape with his life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JA Hunter said Bell picked off his elephants at a distance. He said in Bell's day the elephants were found on the open plains and Bell didn't get up close and personal with them the way JA Hunter had to in his day. He also said Bell tried to recreate his success later in life (with his .275)after the elephants had changed their habits to being more forest dwellers and the safari was a dismal failure and Bell was lucky to escape with his life.

this....the habits that elephants had were different when Bell was hunting....as above they changed within his lifetime....Bell killed a slew with the 7x57 but he was shooting them at alot farther distances than the guys that came after him.....he wasnt using the 7x57 at powder burn ranges in the thick stuff like the guys that came after him....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.