-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad bought a cabin in the mountains [he retired once and hasn't stopped working since....actually got another job]. Most of the family spends Christmas or a hot summer day at his cabin because it's less than 30 miles to drive to.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I retired and moved to Kotzebue. Does that count? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A bit out of synch here. I haven't retired nor have I bought a lake house. I prefer the woods and do enjoy lakes so I bought a place ten years ago in the mountains of north Idaho that is fifteen minutes from a big azz lake and within sixty minutes of a multitude of small ones and great rivers. Deer, elk, moose and bear pass through the property. I will retire first quarter next year and will spend a bunch of time up there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Many are surprised to learn that Oklahoma has more freshwater shoreline than any other state (except Minnesota.)

I would think Alaska would be a contender there, too.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EdM
A bit out of synch here. I haven't retired nor have I bought a lake house. I prefer the woods and do enjoy lakes so I bought a place ten years ago in the mountains of north Idaho that is fifteen minutes from a big azz lake and within sixty minutes of a multitude of small ones and great rivers. Deer, elk, moose and bear pass through the property. I will retire first quarter next year and will spend a bunch of time up there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not bad..not bad at all!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built a lake home, and now I'm building the lake. I don't think I will ever really retire though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Toddly; 08/29/14.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a neighbor in Texas that did the same and his lake is near bone dry since he built a couple of years ago. I hope you do not suffer the same and wish you rain. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I have a neighbor in Texas that did the same and his lake is near bone dry since he built a couple of years ago. I hope you do not suffer the same and wish you rain. smile
I don't need no stinking rain! wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My dad retired at 62 and sold his house in the city and moved to the lake. Lived there for 18 years until his health gave out. I didn't think I would want to follow in his footsteps, but I am thinking about doing it. Anyone have any advice, good or bad?
Lots of factors you'll wanna consider.

But I've had a few friends do just that and immediately regretted it.

1) Too many bugs
2) Taxes jump through the roof
3) Never-ending sounds of chain saws

But - each to his own.. Some love it - others do not..

As for me personally - not a chance in hades..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Put together a modular house on Lake Gaston about 30 years ago. I live just outside of DC in Northern Virginia & Lake Gaston is on the Virginia-North Carolina border. My family including two daughters spent many weekends there skiing, tubing, fishing, swimming, & riding jet skis. Adult daughters still visit & grandson loves it there. Would like to move there & sell DC area house, but can't do so at the present. There is also good deer & some black bear hunting nearby. Love to sit on the large screened front porch & sip a Wild Turkey or bloody mary. If you can afford it definitely move to a lake. There are always homes for sale sometimes at good prices due to the economy. Family's split up & some times have to sell rapidly due to settlements.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad retired at 62 and sold his house in the city and moved to the lake. Lived there for 18 years until his health gave out. I didn't think I would want to follow in his footsteps, but I am thinking about doing it. Anyone have any advice, good or bad?

I am not retired, but have this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My advice has more to do with the health side of things: If you have health issues, make sure that there are facilities around that can deal with anything that comes up, or be prepared (and willing) to drive a long ways for your health care.

Unfortunately, the quality and level of care in the US (heck, probably everywhere on earth) is VERY geographical.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So long as I don't have neighbors I can live most anywhere.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

My sister and her husband once built a lake house. Houses were packed tight all around the shore.

Weekends, it was a freaking zoo all across the surface of the lake.

They don't talk about lake houses anymore. Kind of a sore subject.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tbear
. . .If you can afford it definitely move to a lake. There are always homes for sale sometimes at good prices due to the economy. Family's split up & some times have to sell rapidly due to settlements.

Hadn't thought of this angle. I guess one just needs to be ready to pull the trigger and keep your feelers out with a few agents to let you know when one of these "motivated seller" deals is on the way. Good advice. Thanks.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lived on a local lake the first year we were married. Family has had a lake house there going on 40 years. My father and his ummm wife live in it now. Nobody bothers them for some reason. wink
I had a waterfront lot on this lake and thought that we would have a home there some day, then more land around my current residence became available. That was the end of that lot.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Many are surprised to learn that Oklahoma has more freshwater shoreline than any other state (except Minnesota.)

I really doubt Oklahoma has more fresh water shoreline than Alaska.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm retired and living in the same house we bought 29 years ago. I can see the Great Salt Lake from here - does that count?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Maybe they're counting cattle tanks.

The whole norther border of New York is freshwater shoreline, lakes Erie and Ontario and the St. Lawrence river, then you've got Lake Champlain along the eastern border with Vermont, the Hudson river running most of the rest of the way from there to N(f'in)YC. The rest of the state is full of lakes and rivers.

I lived with my 2nd ex-wife for 25 years on the shore of the St. Lawrence and there's a lot to be said about just walking down to the boat house, dropping the boat in, and going duck hunting or fishing.

Current wife and I bought a place on the river before we got married, fixed it up into our dream home, then this summer moved down here, a couple miles from Lake Ontario (great job for her.) We are still keeping the river home unless the financial strain gets to be too much. I have been promised that if we do sell the river home we're getting a 26' Grady White all outfitted for trout and salmon down here.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My older sister has, and it's very quiet and secluded, especially for Penn. Maybe a section in size with a dozen cabins around in the forest and no additional development allowed. Great place to float a canoe and do bass, crappie, and sunfish on a fly. Unknowingly missed an opportunity for a $15,000 lot where a cabin had burned some years back. Deer, beaver, osprey, black bear, waterfowl, gray squirrels, etc. Color me envious.

At a destination resort with hundreds of holiday boaters and such, not much interest.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/29/14.

1Minute
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Maybe they're counting cattle tanks.

The whole norther border of New York is freshwater shoreline, lakes Erie and Ontario and the St. Lawrence river, then you've got Lake Champlain along the eastern border with Vermont, the Hudson river running most of the rest of the way from there to N(f'in)YC. The rest of the state is full of lakes and rivers.

I lived with my 2nd ex-wife for 25 years on the shore of the St. Lawrence and there's a lot to be said about just walking down to the boat house, dropping the boat in, and going duck hunting or fishing.

Current wife and I bought a place on the river before we got married, fixed it up into our dream home, then this summer moved down here, a couple miles from Lake Ontario (great job for her.) We are still keeping the river home unless the financial strain gets to be too much. I have been promised that if we do sell the river home we're getting a 26' Grady White all outfitted for trout and salmon down here.

OK Water Facts

ego operor non tutela
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.