Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Given that I just paid substantially more than the price of these actions to Jerry Fisher to get one of his bottom metal, the value is certainly there on these.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
It sounds a lot like the last one I bought. It wasn't perfect but everything was fixable. I'm running the original trigger on mine still.

I do see a Dumoulin billboard on the left side of yours. cool

Great news indeed. smile

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I went to the gunshop and picked up mine this morning. It looks to be the exact same action as the Safari Arms Global Trading Mauser pictured above.

This new one seems to have a slightly better fit and finish though. IMO, if it would have been packaged a little better you could have gotten away without a refinish on a budget build but, it was just sliding around in the box and has rub marks all over it. No big deal I would have refinished it reguardless.

The fit on the triggerguard assembly on this one is also better. The bow release lever is flush with the guard and operates smoothly. The floorplate has almost no play in it.

The safety on this one works great! Better than a few NewHaven Winchester M70's I've owned over the years.

I've only found one flaw so far but it's a big one. The cam on the cocking piece and the bolt don't mate up! Once you kick the safety off and fire the action YOU CAN'T RE-COCK IT. I don't think it's going to be any big deal to fix but it does need some attention. More than likely it'll just need a little sanding or filing on the bolt cam area followed by a polish. It's not a huge deal to fix but the action is basicly unuseable until it happens so it is a pretty big deal.

Over all all I'm happy with it and think it was one hell of a bargain.

I've decided I'm going with a short barrel and mannlicher stock on this one. Right now calibers I'm considering: 7X64, .280Rem, 257roberts, 7X57 and the boring but well proven .30-06.

Terry

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, mine says "Dumoulin Herstal S.A." and works perfect, gonna build a 400 Whelen outta mine.

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my two are in and i'll pick them up on tuesday. gunner, great minds think alike. im going to build a matched pair of 400's for a friend and i

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 400 Whelen does sound pretty neat.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
my two are in and i'll pick them up on tuesday. gunner, great minds think alike. im going to build a matched pair of 400's for a friend and i

Helluve deal, I got 100 rounds of quality cartridge cylindrical [basic] 400 Whelen brass, gonna leave the shoulder at .458" and ream with a 'Petrov' reamer.

With a case mouth o.d. of 435", that will leave a 23 thou shoulder for head-spacing.

Also got a couple hundred 400 gr Woodleigh weld-core bullets, will be looking for 2150 fps from the Krieger 14 twist barrel at 25" burning CFE-223 powder.

Gonna build a poor mans safari rifle with a nice NEGC barrel band front sight, sling swivel barrel band, and a nice flip up island rear sight and exploit the hell out of the 06' hull for maximum power and efficiency. grin

Have a set of the QD Sunny Hill rings on the way too, they said they are un-blued, just as well, all the metal will be charcoal blued to go nice with the McMillan syn stock as well as a nice piece of walnut should one ever come along.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1

Gonna build a little 'pounder' here TC1, mag holds four 9.3-62mm cartridges loaded to 3.330"

Four down and one in the pipe will be a formidable little combo chunkin' five 400 gr Woodleighs. grin

This will be a fun project.

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gunner you just described my buddy and i's build, to the t. only difference is a little shorter barrel. gonna be fun to thump some east texas hogs!

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by TC1

Gonna build a little 'pounder' here TC1, mag holds four 9.3-62mm cartridges loaded to 3.330"

Four down and one in the pipe will be a formidable little combo chunkin' five 400 gr Woodleighs. grin

That does sound like fun. I might have to add the 400 to the list. I'm wanting a short barrel treestand rifle. That Whelen would would be pure hell on Mississippi whitetail.

IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
Well, I went to the gunshop and picked up mine this morning. It looks to be the exact same action as the Safari Arms Global Trading Mauser pictured above.

This new one seems to have a slightly better fit and finish though. IMO, if it would have been packaged a little better you could have gotten away without a refinish on a budget build but, it was just sliding around in the box and has rub marks all over it. No big deal I would have refinished it reguardless.

The fit on the triggerguard assembly on this one is also better. The bow release lever is flush with the guard and operates smoothly. The floorplate has almost no play in it.

The safety on this one works great! Better than a few NewHaven Winchester M70's I've owned over the years.

I've only found one flaw so far but it's a big one. The cam on the cocking piece and the bolt don't mate up! Once you kick the safety off and fire the action YOU CAN'T RE-COCK IT. I don't think it's going to be any big deal to fix but it does need some attention. More than likely it'll just need a little sanding or filing on the bolt cam area followed by a polish. It's not a huge deal to fix but the action is basicly unuseable until it happens so it is a pretty big deal.

Over all all I'm happy with it and think it was one hell of a bargain.

I've decided I'm going with a short barrel and mannlicher stock on this one. Right now calibers I'm considering: 7X64, .280Rem, 257roberts, 7X57 and the boring but well proven .30-06.

Terry

Terry, the one I received seems to be just like yours. Smoother I think that that Safari Arms action. Same hard cocking issue though not as bad. Otherwise, for the Money, seems to be a very solid platform to build on.

I can see it becoming a full stocked 9,3x62. Though, I too have been wanting to use my 7x64 reamer on something, lol.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by TC1

That does sound like fun. I might have to add the 400 to the list. I'm wanting a short barrel treestand rifle. That Whelen would would be pure hell on Mississippi whitetail.

Damn right Men, if I can safely approach 2150 fps with the 400 gr Woodleigh we already know what their capable of, that matches the ballistics of the famed 450-400 Nitro Express and 404 Jeffery when loaded to factory specs. shocked grin

"ANY" deer, hog, bear, elk or moose would be in very deep chit inside of 300 yards. wink

I like 25" barrels on rifles of this type, goes/balances best for me with the 13.75/14" L.O.P's.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
GOTDANG, lost my thought process there for a minute staring at z1r's avatar. crazy crazy grin lol

What I was trying to add is the 400 Whelen should feed faster and slicker than about any other cartridge, cant wait to hear her bark the first time.

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r

Terry, the one I received seems to be just like yours. Smoother I think that that Safari Arms action. Same hard cocking issue though not as bad. Otherwise, for the Money, seems to be a very solid platform to build on.

I can see it becoming a full stocked 9,3x62. Though, I too have been wanting to use my 7x64 reamer on something, lol.

I hear ya Mike. A 9.3X62 mannlicher sounds too cool. I just put in an order for a rough turned mannlichler stock last week.

I'm going with the top pattern and having him add a mid forearm schnabel. Plain grain.
[Linked Image]

Money is tight these day's with two kids in college. The "parts fund" has been drained for couple of months. This is going to be a slow moving project for me mad

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gunner who are you going to have do your smith work on the 400?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
gunner who are you going to have do your smith work on the 400?

An old X-Military gunsmith Bud of mine, plus, he's a Mauser freak.

And 'oh hell yeah' got my dies in the mail this evening, just made up a dummy round, with necking down the brass, I, according to my calipers bumped the shoulder to 459"

With a c.o.a.l. of 3.315" and the bullet crimped in the groove picked up a round from the mag by withdrawing the bolt, puked her out the front and onto the ground slick as a whistle.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Anyone wanna see a pic of the dummy round PM me a cell number and I'll fire ya off one or two. grin

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm posting these for gunner500. These are his 400 Whelen dummy rounds. They look big! He said that's .257 Roberts beside it for comparison. It fills the action, that's for sure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup, thats her and the Roberts for scale TC1, a very visible shoulder for head-spacing despite my lame photo skill. blush lol

Thinking the shoulder will be a bit more pronounced and much sharper after a stiff firing.

I compared it to my 458 Win Mag last night, 500 grs at 2150 for the 458 and 400 grs at 2150 for the Whelen, substantial punch and efficiency on the '06 hull imho.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got a by god nice stick of walnut located, will see tonight on how much it's gonna take to get it. cry

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.