Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hope he gets his wish can't wait for the video.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You just can't please some folks.

Here's an intelligent chap.

[Linked Image]

do I need to point out the grammatical error? or is that racist?

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rovering

"Only in a police state is the job of a policeman easy." ~ Orson Welles

BTW, the exact quote that you have used repeatedly was uttered by Charleton Heston to Orson Welles in the movie A Touch of Evil, directed by Welles, but written by someone else entirely.

It was: "A policeman's job is only easy in a police state."

In context, it was said by good cop Heston in response to bad cop Welles, after learning Welles, who planted evidence to get an arrest, claimed the job was too tough already.

Heston's precursor to that was that the job is supposed to be tough if it is to be done proper.

It's more of a rally cry for cops not to take the easy way out.

I'm sure that most folks reading both lines notice the subtle differences in the message conveyed by the juxtaposition of the wording, and I suspect that the version you're using was changed in context by an agendized zealot.

However, it is possible that during one of Welles' many commentaries on his work, he may have rephrased the statement, quite possibly and probably accompanied with his opinion that the greatest weakness of America is rhetoric - of which you are overwhelmingly full of.

I have suspected Welles meant "bullshit" when he said "rhetoric", just to be polite. But either way, he's got you pegged.

Catchy pic to bolster my point:

[Linked Image]

or this:

[Linked Image]

Awwww. It's a puppy....

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
TF.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
to the OP, answering your title

in a word...NO

we're lucky to have the good cops that serve their communities honorably

He can't see that from his mommy's basement though

Or could it be that some of us recognize that you can on the one hand say that there are disturbing trends in LE these days while at the same time appreciating (even more!!) the good ones we do have?

Exceptions don't disprove rules. Just because there are (many!!) excellent officers of the law out there does not mean we aren't witnessing a sea change in the industry that is extraordinarily disturbing for those who love individual liberty and the rule of law vs "might makes right".

Furthermore, LEs here on this site (the majority of whom seem to me to be exceptional) need not take it personally. I am a banker, but don't take it personally when the very legitimate concerns are raised here about the unfortunate direction my industry is heading. Indeed I bear witness to it every day and do what I can to slow the trend, so I don't take it as an attack when someone here criticizes bankers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw
Or could it be that some of us recognize that you can on the one hand say that there are disturbing trends in LE these days while at the same time appreciating (even more!!) the good ones we do have?

Exceptions don't disprove rules. Just because there are (many!!) excellent officers of the law out there does not mean we aren't witnessing a sea change in the industry that is extraordinarily disturbing for those who love individual liberty and the rule of law vs "might makes right".

Furthermore, LEs here on this site (the majority of whom seem to me to be exceptional) need not take it personally. I am a banker, but don't take it personally when the very legitimate concerns are raised here about the unfortunate direction my industry is heading. Indeed I bear witness to it every day and do what I can to slow the trend, so I don't take it as an attack when someone here criticizes bankers.
Very well said indeed.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE

BTW, the exact quote that you have used repeatedly was uttered by Charleton Heston to Orson Welles in the movie A Touch of Evil, directed by Welles, but written by someone else entirely.

In context, it was said by good cop Heston in response to bad cop Welles, after learning Welles, who planted evidence to get an arrest, claimed the job was too tough already.

Heston's precursor to that was that the job is supposed to be tough if it is to be done proper.

I'm sure that most folks reading both lines notice the subtle differences in the message conveyed by the juxtaposition of the wording, and I suspect that the version you're using was changed in context by an agendized zealot.

However, it is possible that during one of Welles' many commentaries on his work, he may have rephrased the statement, quite possibly and probably accompanied with his opinion that the greatest weakness of America is rhetoric - of which you are overwhelmingly full of.

I have suspected Welles meant "bullshit" when he said "rhetoric", just to be polite. But either way, he's got you pegged.

[Linked Image]

or this:

[Linked Image]

Awwww. It's a puppy....
Congrats on one of the most non-sensical, circular posts ever. A bunch of nothing.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
This is a serious question: how many here actually read the article rather than reacting to the title?

Seriously... Show of hands...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Congrats on one of the most non-sensical, circular posts ever. A bunch of nothing.

Hardly circular. And as to the intent of the screenwriter of A Touch of Evil, hardly nonsensical.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw
This is a serious question: how many here actually read the article rather than reacting to the title?

Seriously... Show of hands...
Me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by sherp
Originally Posted by CCCC
Time for an experiment? ID about ten specific areas of ten specific cities. Heavily police the surrounding areas - tough policing - but let those within the test plot go it without any interference. After 6 months, assess what is left. Well, maybe six weeks - or less.

Pick any areas city or rural and any group of civilians you choose and in 6 hours without police keeping an eye on them they would be raping, robbing, and killing each other. I am with you in believing we need more police presence to include police being able to enter homes when they like to make sure people are living the way they want them to live.

That's what happened in Montreal....but it was more like 24 hours.

Does that really count since the cops on strike interfered with the police who were on duty that were trying to prevent anything from happening? All the more so considering Canadian firearms laws?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Good post.....not a lot I would argue.

That said, I doubt most of the LEOs here take much personally. I would Damn near guarantee that nothing that Sherp/Rovering/etc. posts even bumps the needle.

I see a lot of statements such as "we need to corral the goats", etc. Unless the poster is from the jurisdiction that writes my check, I personally don't care what their opinion are relative to my job performance. Similarly, I'm still trying to figure out how my agency is "militarized" when we have nothing in our cruisers or on our belts that isn't available to anyone in the State of NH.

When the folks in my AO, hell I'll stretch as far as the folks in NH, want changes I'll listen. I'm not likely to modify my performance based on some cartoons and anonymous postings.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
to the OP, answering your title

in a word...NO

we're lucky to have the good cops that serve their communities honorably

He can't see that from his mommy's basement though

The only thing new in police activity is everyone with a video device recording it. What could once simply be dismissed as malcontents making false claims against a good officer now gets stickier. You could take any complaint that got shot down 40 years ago and use it to narrate the videos made today. We need to get back to that simpler time from decades past so we can once again have police officers being perceived as being beyond reproach.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NH K9
Good post.....not a lot I would argue.

That said, I doubt most of the LEOs here take much personally. I would Damn near guarantee that nothing that Sherp/Rovering/etc. posts even bumps the needle.

I see a lot of statements such as "we need to corral the goats", etc. Unless the poster is from the jurisdiction that writes my check, I personally don't care what their opinion are relative to my job performance. Similarly, I'm still trying to figure out how my agency is "militarized" when we have nothing in our cruisers or on our belts that isn't available to anyone in the State of NH.

When the folks in my AO, hell I'll stretch as far as the folks in NH, want changes I'll listen. I'm not likely to modify my performance based on some cartoons and anonymous postings.

George

Why would you take anything I say personally which indicates a negative? I argue on behalf of police and share the same views officers here and on sites like officer.com express.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
And I wouldn't expect you to, nor want you to.

You do probably recognize, however, that this is a trend, and one being lead by the Feds using their purse strings not by voters at a local level? The fact that your force hasn't seen the effects of these trends can only comfort you for a limited time, yes?

I'm genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on the actual meat of the article. It seems that the hyperbolic headline captured all the attention rather than the substance of the argument contained therein.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow. So when that guy previously cited in this thread got caught choking out a handcuffed, subservient suspect it was the fault of the camera because without it he could have acted like a barbarian and then denied it effectively?

Could it be that police were once revered and respected because they were, on the whole, worthy of such by their participation in rather than management of the communities they served? Could it be that at one time those bad officers were occasionally held to the higher standard that their badge necessitates?

As if yer sig line didn't say enough about your love of the soon to arrive police state, that right there is proof positive.

Ps- interesting to that you say in that last line, "perceived as" rather than suggesting as one ought that perhaps bad apples ought to have the full weight of the law used to punish them when those pesky cameras are used to substantiate the claims of malcontents. Says an awful lot, that.

Last edited by efw; 08/30/14.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by RWE

[Linked Image]

or this:

[Linked Image]

Awwww. It's a puppy....

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Keep in mind someone apparently found it quote worthy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Wow. So when that guy previously cited in this thread got caught choking out a handcuffed, subservient suspect it was the fault of the camera because without it he could have done that and then denied it effectively?

Could it be that police were once revered and respected because they were, on the whole, worthy of such by their participation in rather than management of the communities they served?

As if yer sig line didn't say enough about your love of the soon to arrive police state, that right there is proof positive.

Yes, the issue is the camera.

Tell me what you think is different in the pre-camera versus post camera days? The narratives of events from both eras are the same. In years past the officers involved would have been cleared AND their collars would have received punishment. Now it is simply the officer getting cleared and the collar getting let off the hook and frequently getting a settlement from tax payers which is bad for officer esprit de corps. Here is an example:

http://www.wistv.com/story/23686918...-deputy-attempt-to-arrest-soldier-at-bar

20 years ago(sans video) no one at that bar would have had the gall to go against the wishes of the deputy. He would have been free to make the arrest and do with her as he saw fit. Now that(unfortunately) isn't the case. The responding officers even tried to help him at first by keeping her in cuffs knowing that without some proof the deputies word would hold up in an investigation while everyone else in the bar could easily be discredited. But then comes the slimey civilian wanting to tear the deputy down and shows the cell phone video and the other officers wisely cut their losses and get the deputy and themselves out of there before the modern, video emboldened drunken rabble becomes a cop hating riot focused on harming them.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
So just to be clear... It's ok in your eyes to choke out a guy who is kneeling in front of you handcuffed?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Most of what sherp writes is hyperbole. You get that, right?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw
So just to be clear... It's ok in your eyes to choke out a guy who is kneeling in front of you handcuffed?

Sherp is playing with you. He actually agrees with you.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (264mag, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 32 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.