Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TAINT,

Fascinating Turd Polishing History Humor.

Bless your heart................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The ONLY move Clueless Window Lickers have,is to trumpet their Turd Polishing via pics of Dinks and Titties...with their mouths open catching flies.

Actually,it is a VERY effective Trump Card.

Laughing!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Not going to fill a freezer with it,but it'll be used on coyotes in about a month or so.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Taking this as a spare for a bear hunt this November in Arizona. Had a Leupold 3x,but think it went ka-poot on me,so,now it has a Leupold 2.5x.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got a Mossberg ATR . Its the most accurate .30-06 Ive ever used. It has a Simmons4X on top and its going to split woods time with a Savage 111 .300 WM I just bought. Last year I mostly hunted with a Marlin XL7 in .270 topped with a Tasco 4X and that combo brought home the venison. I have Ruger 77's but the budget guns slay them in accuracy.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Goalie, thank you for your service in the military. I don't agree with the wars fought, but I salute the courageous man who does what he feels is honorable.

I'm a bargain shooter. I have a couple expensive guns, but they were passed down from my father. Cheap rifles can often shoot great or be made to, IME, and cheap optics too, within a few limitations. I don't have a 5-figure budget for my 'hobby' (according to the Mrs), or even a 4-figure one the last few years, so I've planned for and executed cheap really well. I guess I'm still at the quantity over quality stage.

I will never own a Kimber Montana. Ever.

BTW, nice deer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by goalie
Geedubya,

It looks like you guys know how to eat, which is what it's all about!

10/4,

I hunt with 8 other guys. A couple of the guys have been running buds for almost 30 years. This will be my 15th season to hunt with the core members of the group. When I go up by myself I don't cook much. But when a bunch of us are in camp every day is a "holiday" and we take all our meals together.

A couple of the guys would rather cook than hunt, and they do.

One guys son is a deck hand on a fishing boat. He will bring tuna or swordfish.

[Linked Image]

His bud went to some culinary school and has worked as a chef. He does some fine fixins.

[Linked Image]

I have quite a bit of sausage made. Smoked links will be black bear, Aoudad, Elk, deer or pork.

[Linked Image]

That always goes good.

Usually have some jalepeno cheese summer sausage made from some critter.

[Linked Image]

Thick pork chops, rib-eyes and T-bones are the rule.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mornings are usually left over meat mixed with eggs, chili's cheese wrapped in a tortilla. I'll usually bring up a big pot of my Texas Barking spider beans.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/food/IMG_0491_zps4b993835.jpg[/img]

They go good mornin� or nite.

One of the guys is dynomite with a dutch oven and we will have cobler in the eavening and biscuits with prickly-pear jelly in the AM.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/food/IMG_0460_zpse002b891.jpg[/img]

Hunt in the mornin. Come back in and eat a good breakfast. Have a couple brewskis about noon. Go take a nap til 2 pm or so. Get up, go out and watch for critters till dark thirty. Load up a hoglet if I thump one, come back in, have a beverage and get ready for dinner. Have a good cigar and another beverage after dinner, while listening to some tunes and sitting by the fire. Then hit the hay. Get up in the AM and do it again.

Life is good in deer camp.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_0029_zpse7ac1269.jpg[/img]

Almost makes ya' not want to come back to the "mean ol' here and now"

Best,

GWB

I'm hungry now.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The ONLY move Clueless Window Lickers have,is to trumpet their Turd Polishing via pics of Dinks and Titties...with their mouths open catching flies.

Makes no sense. I will say this the more he talks, the funnier he sounds. Like a clown at a kids birthday party, you know the one, he shows up drunk and scares the kiddies.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Makes no sense. I will say this the more he talks, the funnier he sounds. Like a clown at a kids birthday party, you know the one, he shows up drunk and scares the kiddies.

HAAAAHHAAAAHAAA!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote=goalie

Having a nice discussion about filling the freezer with inexpensive rifles isn't a bad thing. Heck, if you remove some trolling, it's actually been a pretty cool thread.

Have a nice night, and a great holiday tomorrow.

wink

[/quote]

I think I got you.

Yeah, I'm down to my last month of meat. Good thing the season is just opening.

We had a large moose roast last night with 4 guests over, including a young man who proclaims that he is my daughters friend. Fun to watch a young fella on short rations tuck into home cooking, he must have eaten 2 or 3 pounds of that roast by himself.

Hopefully this season will be as good as the last one to my freezer.

Enjoy your holiday and may it be in good company.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I know a couple of guys(and one gal) that put meat in the freezer with Mossberg ATRs pretty regularly, another who LOVES his 464. My younger brother get some very nice bucks with just stupid regularity carying an old Savage model 10 .308 with a Tasco 3-9...one buddy of mine told me recently that the .243 ATR he bought his wife shoots Federal Blue box better that his Weatherby Mk.V(.300 Bee) shoots the best handloads they have tried(he is still using the Weatherby though laugh ) I started hunting with a milsurp M98 with original irons and never had a problem putting meat in the freezer with that or the $200 Century Arms 98 sporter I bought when I was 19(I DID splurge on a Weaver V9 Classic for that one, I bet I had ALMOST $300 in it). Building a (hopefully) inexpensive 8x57 with a vz-24 action and a new Yugo barrel that I bought on the cheap a while back right now(just want to build one myself been a goal of mine for a while)

Hunt with what you like and if anybody has a problem just smile and say good for you!!!

Last edited by CowboyTim; 09/01/14.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Evidently having fun is lost on some.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Somehow, despite the obvious disadvantages when compared to all the "better" rifles, scopes, and calibers out there, after shooting at a dozen or so deer, it has yet to miss a deer, or require two shots on one.

Taint here to judge your choices but over the long haul, I must confess to preferring the odds of a wee better equipment making boom and having the scope do what it needs to do over your choices. smile

Hypothetical for you -
You're going on a guided hunt, and, you've shelled out some dough to do so.
Are you taking the ATR and that scope?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SKane

Somehow, despite the obvious disadvantages when compared to all the "better" rifles, scopes, and calibers out there, after shooting at a dozen or so deer, it has yet to miss a deer, or require two shots on one.

Taint here to judge your choices but over the long haul, I must confess to preferring the odds of a wee better equipment making boom and having the scope do what it needs to do over your choices. smile

Hypothetical for you -

Just me maybe, but if I was going to spend the coin I'd want a rifle that I had shot to the point that it was basically automatic...if that rifle was an ATR with a 4.75 Grand Slam(a fantastic optic anyway)...sure why not?

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Hypothetical for you -

Nope. Probably my stainless Tikka T3 lite in .308 that has a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on it. But I might bring it as a backup.

wink

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Hypothetical for you -

Just me maybe, but if I was going to spend the coin I'd want a rifle that I had shot to the point that it was basically automatic...if that rifle was an ATR with a 4.75 Grand Slam(a fantastic optic anyway)...sure why not?

I wouldn't skip the hunt if that was all I had.

wink

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Perhhaps I shouldn't, but just fer schitz n giggles.............

Maybe it's because I'm left handed and think a bit different than some (don't make me right or them wrong, just different)
I tend to view things from a different perspective.

I love inexpensive. I detest cheap.

Long ago I realized that the memory of poor quality or service lingers long after the joy of low price fades.

So, if you could get paid to own and shoot a gun, how in-expensive is that..........

For example.

[Linked Image]

Here is a package deal I purchased recently. The rifle is a custom Sako AII, Mannlicher stocked carbine chambered for 7mm-08. It was smithed by ID&T Custom Guns. A friend of mine says their rifles start at $3,000. The dealer from whom I purchased it indicated that the original owner paid $3,000 for the rifle. It really don't matter, cause it is only "worth" what someone will pay. This package came with Leupold Sako Rings, Leupold LPS 1.5-6 x 32 Scope (30mm tube), five boxes (500) Hornady 139 gr. SP bullets, 1 box (100) Hornady 139 gr. Interlocks, one box, (100) 140 gr. Sierra Spitzer BT Game Kings, one box of Hornady Super Performance loaded Ammo (139gr SST)
300 pieces of brass (in 20 round MTM slip cases) and a set of reloading dies. I paid $1,500 delivered and a $30 transfer fee.

Now I can both enjoy it and hunt it, and should I desire, part it out. If I part it out I can most likely get $1500 for the rifle, $550 for the scope, $30 for the rings $105 ($15 each per box)for the bullets, $180($30 for each bag of 50) for the brass and $20 for the dies.

So if my math is correct, I could most likely sell the components for $2,385. So say potentially an $850 profit.

Say I kept the rifle for a year, hunted it one season and didn't totally bung it up by using it as a boat anchor or throwing it into a pile of rocks, then parted it out and sold the components..........

$855 divided by $1,530 equals almost a 55 percent return on my investment. Better than I get at the bank on a CD.

So I prefer to hunt with "investments that shoot".

Is that in-expensive enough?

Once heard a guy say. "ya' don't have to do a hundred things right. All you have to do is one thing right a hundred times."

JAFO,

GWB

PS: I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, have worked all my life. Went broke in the 80's and lost most everything. When I started collecting rifles in the early nineties my first rifle was a Savage 112FS that the stock had been spray painted. I bought it for $175 and the Simmons Scope to top it for $24 IIRC. I've been trading up ever since.

Last edited by geedubya; 09/01/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Maybe it's because I'm left handed and think a bit different than some (don't make me right or them wrong, just different)

Long ago I realized that the memory of poor quality or service lingers long after the joy of low price fades.

So, if you could get paid to own and shoot a gun, how in-expensive is that..........

For example.

[Linked Image]

Here is a package deal I purchased recently. The rifle is a custom Sako AII, Mannlicher stocked carbine chambered for 7mm-08. It was smithed by ID&T Custom Guns. A friend of mine says their rifles start at $3,000. The dealer from whom I purchased it indicated that the original owner paid $3,000 for the rifle. It really don't matter, cause it is only "worth" what someone will pay. This package came with Leupold Sako Rings, Leupold LPS 1.5-6 x 32 Scope (30mm tube), five boxes (500) Hornady 139 gr. SP bullets, 1 box (100) Hornady 139 gr. Interlocks, one box, (100) 140 gr. Sierra Spitzer BT Game Kings, one box of Hornady Super Performance loaded Ammo (139gr SST)
300 pieces of brass (in 20 round MTM slip cases) and a set of reloading dies. I paid $1,500 delivered and a $30 transfer fee.

Now I can both enjoy it and hunt it, and should I desire, part it out. If I part it out I can most likely get $1500 for the rifle, $550 for the scope, $30 for the rings $105 ($15 each per box)for the bullets, $180($30 for each bag of 50) for the brass and $20 for the dies.

So if my math is correct, I could most likely sell the components for $2,385. So say potentially an $850 profit.

Say I kept the rifle for a year, hunted it one season and didn't totally bung it up by using it as a boat anchor or throwing it into a pile of rocks, then parted it out and sold the components..........

$855 divided by $1,530 equals almost a 55 percent return on my investment. Better than I get at the bank on a CD.

Once heard a guy say. "ya' don't have to do a hundred things right. All you have to do is one thing right a hundred times."

JAFO,

GWB

PS: I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, have worked all my life. Went broke in the 80's and lost most everything. When I started collecting rifles in the early nineties my first rifle was a Savage 112FS that the stock had been spray painted. I bought it for $175 and the Simmons Scope to top it for $24 IIRC. I've been trading up ever since.

You lost me at your "left handed" and then I saw a pic of that righty rifle that I'd never shoot left handed...Sorry, not happening with that roll over cheek piece. sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

For example.

[Linked Image]

JAFO,

GWB

You lost me at your "left handed" and then I saw a pic of that righty rifle that I'd never shoot left handed...Sorry, not happening with that roll over cheek piece. sick

Yeah, as a lefty that now refuses to hunt righty bolts, that stuck out for me as well. Sell that boat anchor!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I wouldn't skip the hunt if that was all I had.
wink

Oh, I'm with ya brother - like I said, purely hypothetical. I've long maintained I'd rather be in a game-rich environment with the most humble of equipment than vice versa.

I only asked the hypothetical because a lot of guys change their tunes once there's $$$$ on the line.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.