Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I just hate to see their network crap out on them the night before that big paper is due...

They can go ethernet if needed. The wifi is just convenience, as I see it. Freddys has a huge sale for UAF students starting in 1-1/2 hours...midnight here. I passed on the recos and my advice that they should step up the unit with 4 of them splitting the cost.

Do they make splitters for the ethernet connection?

It's interesting what different providers provide.

I called ACS last week to find out when a faster connection would be available. In the course of the conversation, the tech reco'd going to the ACS store and getting new phone filters and modem. The modem they give now is a combo modem/router. We have had situations with having to reset the router to connect an iToy and Kindle Fires.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I just hate to see their network crap out on them the night before that big paper is due...

They can go ethernet if needed. The wifi is just convenience, as I see it.

Ah! I see...

Yep! If the apartment is set up for ethernet cabling then my concern is a non-issue.

Ya know, they may be able to get their service provider to set them up with one... worth asking about.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only ethernet splitting things that I know of are patch panels, switches, hubs and wi-fi.

That doesn't mean that somebody doesn't make a basic splitter. I just haven't seen them.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yeah Mark, they did ask. They got the cable box and modem and 'a bunch of wires'. smile

They are online, but one at a time.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
BTW dude - when do you sleep?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bummer, that's got to be frustrating for the girls.

Depending on how much cabling they have, they could consider a network switch. It works like a splitter. Cables are more stable and far more secure than wireless.

I've seen 5-port switches at Walmart for $15.

Wireless really would probably be better for them though. I'm sure they have cell phones and tablets as well as computers. You can't plug a cable in those and having wi-fi saves then from using all of the data plan up on their phones.

I'd stick name brand (warranty), avoid d-link, and try to find a cheap dual band router. Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, Asus.... All good.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW dude - when do you sleep?

Sleep!? What's that?

I have work, school (I'm back in college), kids, pregnant wife, and a jack russell. I don't know this sleep you speak of....

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Maybe I didn't represent that right.

It wasn't just a pile. They are all set!

Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you like, there are some simple security configurations that I'd highly suggest. They aren't uber secure, but they certainly help. I'd turn off the SSID broadcast so that when anyone else looks for a network to connect to, her's won't show on the list. I'd also enable DHCP routing. What that means is that instead of giving each device it's own permanent IP address, the router has a range of IP's that it assigns to each device. She turns on her laptop in the morning and her IP address could be 10.0.0.7. In the evening it could be 10.0.0.18. Finally, I'd enable MAC filtering. Basically, think of the best bar/club in town. The bouncer has a list of names of people to let in. Nobody else gets in. Her router can do that with MAC filtering. You set it up with the MAC address of every device she owns. No other devices can connect. That way nobody else piggy backs on her network for free, or other nefarious deeds.

Sure, you can do all that, but that stuff really doesn't do much for security because hackers can spoof your MAC address, sniff your SSID, and spoof your IP address thus bypassing all of that.

I'm just here to oblige...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What is the best bang-for-the-buck router that is readily available at FredgyMeyer or WalMart?

My girl kid needs to get one for her new apartment.
Belkin AC1750 DB. Got mine at Walmart in Fairbanks. Really simple to set up. I was able to set mine up using the browser on my smartphone.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only ethernet splitting things that I know of are patch panels, switches, hubs and wi-fi.

That doesn't mean that somebody doesn't make a basic splitter. I just haven't seen them.

I don't know networking but I see nothing but termination problems without at least a hub. Don't think I'd settle for less than wi-fi for college kids sharing a pipe, even if it isn't the fastest spec. They can always get a friendly nerd to help them with security settings.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 41 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.