Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Arthur Neumann was another of the great Ivory hunters who worked a lot with smallbores. The .303 was his choice. His harrowing escape from death after taking an elephant tusk through the the chest in the middle of nowhere is absolutely amazing. His recovery took months and the whole while he was stranded in the bush, laid up. The book is called "Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa ".

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
since this is up my alley, another guy along with Bell and Hunter and Neumann all interested in Africa should read is John Burger, he was to buffalo what Bell was to elephants and Hunter was to black rhino....the story in his main book, "Horned Death" about him and his buddy scheming to get rich off an albino buffalo calf they spotted in a herd and the lengths they go to try and catch it to sell to a zoo or collector are hilarious...when people ask me who they should read after Capstick gets them hooked on Africa i point to Hunter and Burger

also if you are really interested in what all rifles the major big game hunters used "The Rifle: Its Development for Big-Game Hunting" by Truesdell is very good but if your a book worm like me it leads you to other books you have to have cause he scoured the books by guys like Bell and Hunter and dozens of others to see what they used and why...

Last edited by rattler; 08/29/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In what era did John Burger hunt? Was he a big bore guy?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
We're putting together a pretty good bibliography.

About two pages before Boddington's article on Bell, there is a picture of a Winchester 1895. It reminds me of another writer, Kenneth Anderson. He used a .405 Winchester to hunt man-eaters in southern India not long after Corbett was in northern India. He even shot a few rogue elephants himself. Great stories.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
RevMike, Anderson used a 405 to kill elephants?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep. Sometimes he used a .450/400 but most of the time it was his .405. Interesting, as well a unconventional choice for the time.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
In what era did John Burger hunt? Was he a big bore guy?

you ask me this now laugh im staying at my parents but most my books are boxed up at my brothers place.....want to say post WWI, forget what rifles he preferred....do remember he gained his experience shooting buffalo feeding railroad workers

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah i was right on the time period.....anyone interested in African/Asian hunting books this is the site to have bookmarked...

http://www.shakariconnection.com/john-f-burger-books.html

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. Thanks.

Teddy Roosevelt was mighty fond of the .405 Win. himself. JA Hunter talked about somebody getting stomped into a pancake for insisting on using it on African Elephant because it worked for them on Asian Elephant.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The basic difference between a 405 and a 450/400 is 300 vs 400gr bullets, yes? I suppose a 405 fmj would get it done, but it seems more iffy than a 173gr 7mm to me.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

Walter used to sit on the hill and wait for the great stags to come through during the rut, moving from one property to another, and right where they crossed his land, he used to drop them with his .220 Swift scoped Winchester model 70. Used to piss his neighbours off.

laugh laugh laugh

Yeah, a fellow ought to not hunt/shoot on his own property!! smirk whistle

Guess some things just haven't changed.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bell wrote that he used lighter recoiling rifles because the heavier recoiling rounds were unsuitable when he perched above the tall grass on his tripod or ladders. He had heavier guns at hand when using the lighter pieces.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great thread. I'm picking up Bell of Africa ASAP.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It will give you a new perspective. And I think it was that book that had an" Appendix to Rifles and Shooting" at the end. About three pages long,and other than our modern wazoo bullets, it is STILL all you need to know about rifles and shooting for real hunting situations.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
It will give you a new perspective. And I think it was that book that had an" Appendix to Rifles and Shooting" at the end. About three pages long,and other than our modern wazoo bullets, it is STILL all you need to know about rifles and shooting for real hunting situations.

I NEED to read this book. Trick now is finding one that won't raise the ire of my wife due to the cost.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
. About three pages long,and other than our modern wazoo bullets, it is STILL all you need to know about rifles .

Wazoo bullets?? Are those the ones capable of penetrating end-to-end AKA "Texas heart shots?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

I NEED to read this book. Trick now is finding one that won't raise the ire of my wife due to the cost.

Try your local library.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
Bell wrote that he used lighter recoiling rifles because the heavier recoiling rounds were unsuitable when he perched above the tall grass on his tripod or ladders. He had heavier guns at hand when using the lighter pieces.

He did write something like that, which was referring to shooting over tall grasses while standing on his telescope tripod, or sitting on the shoulders of one of his men, but it was part of a passage listing all the different reasons he didn't like big bores.
As a rule he didnt have heavier rifles available and didn't feel he needed them, writing chapters of his books and articles explaining why.

He did own a 450/400 but never used it after the first safari he took it on and describes this in a letter to a friend. He purchased a pair of 416's from Rigby after they came out, but I cannot find anything about him using them or taking them to Africa. He mentioned a .350 Rigby Magnum, but it was about giving up on it because it was so heavy and didnt kill anything any quicker than his 7x57.

Bell plainly worked quite well with his light rifles (800 elephants with a 7x57 says it all) but he was also a gun nut who liked trying the latest thing.
He was a neophile. When the .22 Hipower came out he had to shoot an obstinacy of buffalo with one. When the 416 came out he bought two of them just to see what it was about. The .350 Rigby Mgagnum, same. When the Colt 1911 came out he bought one. When the .220 Swift came out he had to use it on red deer.
(I have references to him fitting some kind of a machine gun to his plane early in WW1, that was designed by someone he knew.)
Overall, although he doesn't say so explicitly, I think Bell thought of himself as a progressive man, and that he regarded big bores as old fashioned.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
. About three pages long,and other than our modern wazoo bullets, it is STILL all you need to know about rifles .

Wazoo bullets?? Are those the ones capable of penetrating end-to-end AKA "Texas heart shots?"

Yes. Exactly. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bell & Elmer Keith should have met , Elmer could have learned something.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,918
Posts18,498,417
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.