Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Oh, he's being intentionally obtuse, alright. He wants to make you "admit" that you can't do something, and he won't stop until you make the admission. He's like a small child.

I'll be damned can I make sense of his question. I made a flat declaration that we've had no infections other than E. Reston, and that produced no disease. I can't figure which part of no infections he doesn't get.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

They do these groovy little drills into the leg bone to start on IV on people circling the drain. Medics were just going to start using them when I went out of the fire service. I kinda wanted to see how they would work, and if I wouldn't pass out when I saw an IV going into an arm, which is what I do.

As for the food supply, that's where the next terror attack is going to come from. Just about anyone can walk into a processing facility in Watsonville or Salinas and kill a few hundred or thousand people.

You probably cannot imagine how simple it could be. Cheap too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No imagining here..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
What I'm getting from all that is that you cannot cite a single case of pathological Ebola in the US prior to the two brought it. Am I understanding you correctly?

Please explain to me which part of the following it is that you do not understand.

"That we have had Ebola Zaire in this country for almost forty years without producing a single infection in a human is pretty convincing evidence it is no real threat. That we handled two infected persons through an intercontinental flight and cure is even more convincing."

Are you intentionally being obtuse or is there really something in those few simple words that you do not understand?

Is there anyone else out there who does not understand this? If I am not saying it simply enough could someone please tell me what is confusing here?
I hope you are correct in dismissing the threat.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

It's not so much a matter of right or wrong. It's a matter of applying the best of our knowledge to the facts at hand.

We know that Ebola requires direct contact with body fluids containing active virus.

Back up for a moment. A virus is a piece of genetic material. It can be viewed as neither alive, nor "dead". Or, it can be viewed as both. A virus cannot and does not reproduce. It invades a cell and the cell's internal machinery provide the material and energy to create more virus particles. Like many invasives, it's not the invader that causes you problems so much as what your immune system does about the invader.

Now then, we know it is very contagious. It can infect you with very few virus particles that get past your skin. Avoidance of the virus is simple enough. Avoid porous barriers and you're good to go. The virus, unlike a lot of molecules will not pass through interstitial spaces. The virus can be deactivated chemically with very high certainty quite easily. Once a body has beaten Ebola, the virus is gone, unlike some diseases like chicken pox. Ebola to the best of our knowledge tends to not produce disease in other than humans and some primates. That does not mean it does not infect some primates, only that it does not produce disease in them. Not more,not less. We do not yet know whether it can be transmitted from a primate it does not affect to one which it readily kills. We do not know if it produces different forms of disease (like Smallpox) in some people than it does in others. We are pretty sure that it's a what you see is what you get disease, but we do not know enough to say for sure. Science on exclusively or nearly exclusively human diseases is necessarily limited. The fact that infected people like Brantley are noninfectious very quickly is important.

If we do not use the best of our science and we do not rely on it, then we're left with nothing.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You'd DAMN SURE be "Correct" to just STFU and pay some attention to what some VERY qualified hands are trying to pass on, and keep us up to speed on, instead of endlessly running off at the mouth, and grandstanding, mister.

Read, listen, TRUST,....and THANK your lucky stars that there are alternatives to Alex Jones, and your styles of addressing challenges.

GTC

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/03/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MILES58

It's not so much a matter of right or wrong. It's a matter of applying the best of our knowledge to the facts at hand.

We know that Ebola requires direct contact with body fluids containing active virus.

Miles...what if somebody took some contaminated blood & injected some steers about to be butchered...or maybe squirted some down the chute of an industrial meat grinder in a packing plant?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

As for the food supply, that's where the next terror attack is going to come from. Just about anyone can walk into a processing facility in Watsonville or Salinas and kill a few hundred or thousand people.

I used to live very close to those areas. And where I lived was heavy agriculture as well.

Most people have no clue how correct this is. From the field to the store, there really isn't any mechanisms in place to prevent a moderately determined person from doing bad things to the food supply

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Miles...what if somebody took some contaminated blood & injected some steers about to be butchered...or maybe squirted some down the chute of an industrial meat grinder in a packing plant?

I assume you're talking Ebola with this question...

Chances are good that nothing would happen. Ebola seems to be short lived outside a human body or outside a "host" body. If Ebola were being hosted by cattle, then it's very probable we would have found that by now. The search over forty years has as yet failed to definitively identify a or the host. Bats are the prime suspect. There are however some highly conflicting reports of how long Ebola is present in a given body/organs/fluids and I am not familiar with all of that data.

If you're talking E. Coli 0157/H7, that is an entirely different proposition. Small contamination from the fecal matter on the outside of the cow, some contamination from the inside of the cow's gut occurs in a slaughterhouse and winds up in/on meat about to be ground. That contamination not infrequently is by E. Coli 0157/H7 and there are standards which allow a specified level of that contamination. Intentional contamination with large quantities would in all probability produce massive amounts of very dangerous burger in the distribution chain. People may or may not be infected before it was discovered. It would result in one of those all too common recalls of tens of thousands of pounds of burger that seem to occur about quarterly.

The meat goes directly into distribution while the testing is done. Testing is done very frequently, hourly in some plants, but it takes time to culture the samples and see what grows. Places like burger chains keep very good track of what meat came from where and when. They have an excellent system and for the hundreds of tons of meat the use in a day. With a standard that allows some contamination, it is really surprising that there aren't more problems. Mostly the safeguard is controlled cooking time that kills the bacteria by raising it to a specified temperature.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Please folks, try to keep one thing in mind that I have repeated over and over in this discussion:

Our entire system is fragile and vulnerable. Keeping a doctor functional in a hospital takes a lot of people doing their bit. Keeping the whole country working in the middle of a serious attack/epidemic buggers the imagination.

One person infected with smallpox or E.Coli 0157/H7/new influenza or Ebola takes a lot of people all working together to save. We cannot and probably never will be able to save all of them. A severe epidemic will over tax the system. We will have trouble burying all the dead. Losing so many cogs in our systems will make everyday small events we take for granted major issues. Food, fuel, energy supply, transportation, utilities like phone/internet all will be impacted. Pay attention to what's going on in West Africa for that glimpse into what can happen. Ebola is nowhere near so dangerous as a number of other things, and they are suffering the collapse of their societies as collateral damage. That can and is forcing them to start leaving and spreading Ebola wider.

We have a much more educated populace. We have less primitive society. We have technologically astounding systems to deal with literally everything. But... in the end we are people just like them and we'll do what we think we have to to survive. Probably most of which may be just crazy. What we are doing is guaranteed to bring us unimaginable grief. It's not a question of if, just when. It's not going to be a sudden s--t hits the fan scenario. It is and will continue to be an imperceptibly slow accumulation of small insult to everything that makes our lives what they are now.

The only thing we have for hope is that some people understand this and are speaking out. Listen! Watch! Learn to recognize what you are looking at! Educate yourselves! Speak up when you can.

IC B3

FlaRick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Stop worrying, Hawk. These are highly trained professionals bringing folks infected with Ebola here for treatment and study of the disease. After all, what could go wrong?

More deadly pathogens, toxins found improperly stored in NIH and FDA labs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...3-fa3895a25d02_story.html?wpmm=AG0003386

I'm better when I move.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FlaRick

Stop worrying, Hawk. These are highly trained professionals bringing folks infected with Ebola here for treatment and study of the disease. After all, what could go wrong?

eek

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like Osterholm said in the piece... It would not be surprising if more samples like this did not turn up from time to time.

Like I said earlier in the thread... There is an ungodly amount of Smallpox missing and unaccounted for in Russia.

As mentioned in the article, D.A. Henderson, one of the people who contributed mightily to eliminating Smallpox, favors destroying the world's remaining known samples. I've read some of his arguments for doing so, they are strong and compelling, his passion to see gone forever a scourge which has brought so much misery and is so very, very dangerous comes through clearly. I do not see, and I am not persuaded it is wise to do it though.

Think about the Aral release I mentioned earlier. Nine miles across water infecting a person who just happened to be outside on the deck of a ship. The people who did that, the scientists who modified the virus, the scientists who created the ability for it to be carried that far on the wind, the men who created the labs to do the work, the government that authorized all of it have some very serious flaws as human beings to even consider risking reinfecting the world with such a dreadful disease. They not only considered, they flat out did it. These were not the same sort of rational scientists that I have known. A people that could do that are a people who could lie to the world about what they have kept. There has to be a level of pathological paranoia in the soul of a people to even begin that game.

As long as such people exist anywhere, and as long as we cannot account for every single micro gram of what they had, we put ourselves and maybe the world at considerable risk if we destroy our sole source of complete defense against the disease. Our vaccine is not guaranteed to work against what Russia did. We know full well that Russia experimented with getting past vaccination. We don't know what they accomplished.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
MILES, thanks for your comments on all this. But to what you stated above, history shows when there is money and power there is evil. Humans since the dawn of time have tried to find better, more efficient ways to kill, to get more money and power. What better or easier way than to use a disease process to not only kill your enemy but also to totally destroy the economy, food producing ability and infrastructure.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

[Linked Image]

Government's only efficiency is in inefficiency, government's only competency is in incompetency.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

FlaRick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have previously posted that we can depend on our government to do NOTHING to prevent Ebola from spreading here. Now it is starting to look like I was wrong. It's almost like the idiots think that it just isn't fair that only Africans are exposed to this horror.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-ebola-evac...160126831.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

An undisclosed number of people who�ve been exposed to the Ebola virus � not just the four patients publicly identified with diagnosed cases � have been evacuated to the U.S. by an air ambulance company contracted by the State Department.

�We moved a lot of other people who had an exposure event,� said Dent Thompson, vice president of Phoenix Air Group. �Many times these people are just fine, they just had an exposure. But you have to treat it as though the disease is present.�

How many exposed patients have been flown from West Africa to the U.S.? Thompson said medical privacy laws and his company�s contract with the State Department prevent him from revealing the figure.

I'm better when I move.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have previously posted that we can depend on our government to do NOTHING to prevent Ebola from spreading here. Now it is starting to look like I was wrong. It's almost like the idiots think that it just isn't fair that only Africans are exposed to this horror.

An undisclosed number of people who�ve been exposed to the Ebola virus � not just the four patients publicly identified with diagnosed cases � have been evacuated to the U.S. by an air ambulance company contracted by the State Department.

�We moved a lot of other people who had an exposure event,� said Dent Thompson, vice president of Phoenix Air Group. �Many times these people are just fine, they just had an exposure. But you have to treat it as though the disease is present.�

How many exposed patients have been flown from West Africa to the U.S.? Thompson said medical privacy laws and his company�s contract with the State Department prevent him from revealing the figure.

Was the job acquired by "Low Bid"?

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

There are people with a blind, irrational fear of things they don't understand and won't take the time or put forth the effort to understand. If they'd take the time and make the effort they might discover that on a daily basis people are prophylacticaly treated for diseases that have killed a lot more people than all of the Ebola outbreaks combined.

Their surprise over no one telling them this activity goes on day in and day out has always surprised me.

Oh well...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Just think of the billions of dollars big pharma is going to make on terrified Americans when they market their Ebola vaccine.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 48 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,662
Posts18,534,060
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.