Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't know a shooter under 30-years old that has one.

Here be one.

Here be another, and I know several more.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]

It's a good one - holds plenty of lube. I went with the 4 cavity and it casts great out of a Lyman bottom pour. Weight is closer to 166-167 with WW alloy...

Originally Posted by deflave
I need to order one of those molds.

Travis

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I had one as well. Sadly I no longer qualify to be in the "under 30" crowd. Lame.

Me neither. In fact, I own fewer .357's now than I did when I was under 30....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The 357 will always be a great jack-of-all-trades.

I've been enjoying the heck out of 170gr Keith in 38 Spl brass, over 5.3 gr Unique, for 1000 fps in the Security Six.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for sharing that load Shane. I recently bought one of those 686 Plus 3" 7 shot revolvers that Shrapnel posted on here last year. I just started casting that 170 gr Keith out of a new Lyman mold - I'll have to give that one a try...

Jerry

Jerry, it's a mild shooting mid-range load in the Security Six. I ordered the 170's from Western Bullet Co. in Missoula, and they are from the Lyman 358429 mold.

QuickLoad predicts pressure of 21,600 lbs-psi. That puts it above 38 Spl +P level of 18.5K psi, but well below 35K psi of full house 357 pressures.

Shane

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not for me...we just like to talk about the odd stuff I guess.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray
The 357 will always be a great jack-of-all-trades.

I've been enjoying the heck out of 170gr Keith in 38 Spl brass, over 5.3 gr Unique, for 1000 fps in the Security Six.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for sharing that load Shane. I recently bought one of those 686 Plus 3" 7 shot revolvers that Shrapnel posted on here last year. I just started casting that 170 gr Keith out of a new Lyman mold - I'll have to give that one a try...

Jerry

Jerry, it's a mild shooting mid-range load in the Security Six. I ordered the 170's from Western Bullet Co. in Missoula, and they are from the Lyman 358429 mold.

QuickLoad predicts pressure of 21,600 lbs-psi. That puts it above 38 Spl +P level of 18.5K psi, but well below 35K psi of full house 357 pressures.

Shane

That sounds like a perfect combo and makes sense - Lyman #47 shows 5.0 Unique as max for the 38 Spl with that bullet at 860 fps. My mold is also the 358429 - my thought at the time I bought it was a heavier bullet in 357 cases at 11-1200 fps.

Just finished rolling a few with Unique at 4.7, 5.0 and 5.3 in 38 Spl cases...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by scouttracker
The 45 ACP and 357 don't seem to be talked about much anymore. Have they been declining or just about these days.

They aren't rounds for people who blather about minutia incessantly on the internet, they are rounds for people who go out and shoot.

HOLY SHEE-IT!! Someone FINALLY said it!

Am I the only person seeing the trend of shooters who spend infinitely more time behind a keyboard than behind a trigger?? It's near impossible to carry on an intelligent conversation because everyone's "knowledge" is either a) opinion, b) read from another internet forum or c) seen in a YouTube video. Anyhow, I digress....

Yes, I think the .357's popularity is waning because it's a revolver cartridge and revolvers are "old", "outdated" blah, blah, blah. The 45 ACP though I think is going as strong as ever.

I have a 45 ACP (Colt Series 70) and love it, but I'm more of a revolver guy.

I have three .357 revolvers, but to me the caliber is sort of in between. Much too loud and blasty for every day shooting, but not really enough for serious hunting.

My extremes are the .38 Special for plinking and fun shooting and either a .44 Special or 45 Colt for hunting.

Could not of said it better myself.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=GunGeek]Revolvers are losing ground every day, so that's why the .357 is declining as a defensive arm (and the fact it's not a great defensive choice, too much noise and muzzle flash).

If you are a Hand loader with multiple guns in this caliber, there is no other cartridge with the versatility of the .357 Mag.

Period.

Except maybe the .22 LR

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I teach both civilians & security officers shooting basics. The under 30 crowd has to have a 9MM semi-auto stocked with as many rounds as made. This applies to both guys & gals. I always suggest a revolver in .38 Special for casual shooters, but few listen. At work the .40 Glock has become the standard & is a great caliber. Had an inexperienced female S/O trying to qualify who powder burned her a$$ & put a round into the range floor last week. I frequently carry a .357 SP101 when in the woods or as back up in my truck. Used a .45 in the military & recently purchased a Remington. Both the .357 & .45 will stop most 2 & 4 legged critters with the right ammo.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Did you provide 1st aid?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Stop chasing brass use a brass catcher.
My thought exactly.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Crap!
The 357 and 45 acp are gonna be obsolete?
Guess I better sell mine while there is still a market-- like hell.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Stop chasing brass use a brass catcher.
My thought exactly.

What kind of brass catcher?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I think there's a good chance we'll see the .40 decline in the next decade or two though. People are starting to realize that a 147 grain, or 124 grain +P 9mm will do most anything a .40 can do with less recoil and far less abuse to the gun.

You think the 40 is on it's way out in favor of the 9? I'm trying, but I don't see that. I don't see a hot 9 being anywhere near a 40. My favored load in 9 is a 147+P or +P+, and 180 top end 40, and the way they interact with various media when they hit clearly puts the 40 well above the 9.
The FBI and many departments are moving back to the 9mm for a reason over the 40. The 9mm has some very impressive balastics on par or better than the 40.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I also predict the .40 will lose popularity over the next 10 years.

It is a good round, but I think recoil and wear and tear on guns are going to cause a lot of departments and agencies to switch back to the 9's.

Then we'll get to hear "When I joined the force we carried a man's cartridge..." for another 30 years.

Travis

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tbear
I teach both civilians & security officers shooting basics. The under 30 crowd has to have a 9MM semi-auto stocked with as many rounds as made. This applies to both guys & gals. I always suggest a revolver in .38 Special for casual shooters, but few listen. At work the .40 Glock has become the standard & is a great caliber. Had an inexperienced female S/O trying to qualify who powder burned her a$$ & put a round into the range floor last week. I frequently carry a .357 SP101 when in the woods or as back up in my truck. Used a .45 in the military & recently purchased a Remington. Both the .357 & .45 will stop most 2 & 4 legged critters with the right ammo.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Another winner!

I live in a rural area and have a range at my house. Lots of friends and co-workers, both mine and my wife's, come out here to shoot so I see the above theme over and over. Typically husbands buy their wives some high capacity semi with a grip the size of a beer bottle then bring them out to learn to shoot. I've yet to see one of these instances when the poor woman left any better off than when she arrived. But the same goes for most men. They simply do not understand that they'll never be proficient with their hi cap semis when they only shoot a few times a year, but they're all convinced that a magazine with loaded with lots of ammunition will make up for their lack of skill. My wife's two best friends, whose husbands are also close friends of mine, started out the same way trying to learn to operate and shoot semis. After a couple of counseling sessions with their husbands, they finally wound up getting .38's.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
The 45 ACP and 357 don't seem to be talked about much anymore. Have they been declining or just about these days.

They aren't rounds for people who blather about minutia incessantly on the internet, they are rounds for people who go out and shoot.

HOLY SHEE-IT!! Someone FINALLY said it!

Am I the only person seeing the trend of shooters who spend infinitely more time behind a keyboard than behind a trigger?? It's near impossible to carry on an intelligent conversation because everyone's "knowledge" is either a) opinion, b) read from another internet forum or c) seen in a YouTube video. Anyhow, I digress....

Yes, I think the .357's popularity is waning because it's a revolver cartridge and revolvers are "old", "outdated" blah, blah, blah. The 45 ACP though I think is going as strong as ever.

I have a 45 ACP (Colt Series 70) and love it, but I'm more of a revolver guy.

I have three .357 revolvers, but to me the caliber is sort of in between. Much too loud and blasty for every day shooting, but not really enough for serious hunting.

My extremes are the .38 Special for plinking and fun shooting and either a .44 Special or 45 Colt for hunting.
Easy there guy, I think you missed a drop.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

This is coming from the same guy that brown bear called out a few years ago?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't know a shooter under 30-years old that has one.

Here be one.

Here's another--not only under 30, but under half of 30. She's 14 in this pic, shooting her SP101 .357 Magnum.
[Linked Image]

However, the OP's point is well taken by me with regard to the .357. I'd not so much say it's "obsolete" but more "out of style." Its popularity on a forum such as this is not a reflection of its popularity with the public at large. It seems Joe Public generally wants an automatic chambered in .40 S&W or 9mm.

I think the .45 ACP remains as popular today as it was 5 yrs ago, even 10 yrs ago. When Joe Public opens a box in the ammo section and runs his fingers over a 230gr .45 cartridge, his eyes go wide and he smiles (like we all used to--heck, I still do!)

Anyway, it's a fun discussion. Somebody with the time, ought to track down sales data and see how many .357's are being sold out there.

Carry On!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I think there's a good chance we'll see the .40 decline in the next decade or two though. People are starting to realize that a 147 grain, or 124 grain +P 9mm will do most anything a .40 can do with less recoil and far less abuse to the gun.

You think the 40 is on it's way out in favor of the 9? I'm trying, but I don't see that. I don't see a hot 9 being anywhere near a 40. My favored load in 9 is a 147+P or +P+, and 180 top end 40, and the way they interact with various media when they hit clearly puts the 40 well above the 9.
The FBI and many departments are moving back to the 9mm for a reason over the 40. The 9mm has some very impressive balastics on par or better than the 40.

Take the 9 and 40 both into the field shoot some deer and hogs with both and then get back to us as to how the 9 is equal or superior to he 40. Hint it ain't and never will be.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,947
Posts18,519,179
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.