Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Carson
Originally Posted by UPhiker
We don't have none of them there poisonous snakes up here.

Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus)?
Not in the UP. Almost all of Wisconsin, Minnesota and Maine are also free of poisonous snakes.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have used snake loads in 22,38,357,44mag and 45acp. The 44 capsules you load yourself are pretty effective on snakes. They're also damned good for old bulls that have decided never to leave the mesquite thickets. I guess you could put out an eye.I try to shoot them in the nose but with horse and bull moving who knows where I'm hitting. 2 or 3 hits have turned some rank turds around and they went right on to the corrals.
I have a 629 with a 3 inch barrel thats real handy horseback.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut

We have two distinct species here; the Western Diamondback and the Massasauga. The two have remarkably different personalities. The Diamondback, given a modicum of opportunity will without exception beat a hasty retreat unless cornered. The Massasauga however are quite the opposite and of the several I killed don't remember a one who tried to get away, rather stayed put. The problem with the latter is they're significantly smaller than your typical Diamondback which not only makes them more difficult to see but also makes it more difficult to hear them rattle.
If memory serves we have had dogs bitten on six different occasions, one of which resulted in death, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they were by a Massasauga.
We have Massagua's, Prairie Rattlers and Timber Rattlers. They all merit killing, post-haste.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So far this year I'm up to seven rattlers. I dispatch them with my 1911 Colt Gunsite Pistol. One of my spare magazines are stoked with CCI .45 ACP shot shells. These cycle great through all my 1911's. Never had one not cycle. When I'm weeding, cutting brush and wood on the property I load the shot shells prior to starting work, along with putting on my snake gaiters. If I'm just out and about the gun is stoked with Federal 230 +p HST hollow points. When needed, I Tactical Load the shot shell magazine and run the slide while catching my HP.

My wife carries her Ruger LCR with the first two shots being .38 CCI shot shells. The rest are her carry loads. They also work well.

We live in northern Yavapai County, Az and I would rather live among rattlers than some people.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

We have them in my area of S.E. Michigan....considered a "stronghold", as the snakes are considered "endangered". Have encountered a few while fishing (prior to being old enough for CC), and I will no longer hunt my dog in these areas until after the snow flies. We had a setter killed a year or two ago by rattlers in these "strong holds". One of the state parks is considered a "habitat", even though they have a butt load of hiking trails, picnic areas, etc.
....again, not until AFTER the snow flies!!!!

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I remember Venturino writing an article that stated #12 is the bomb-diggity for snakes. Travis

So is # 10 shot. I load it in .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, and .41 Magnum. Any of those with # 10 shot will flat take out a poisonous snake. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OCSarge
So far this year I'm up to seven rattlers. I dispatch them with my 1911 Colt Gunsite Pistol. One of my spare magazines are stoked with CCI .45 ACP shot shells. These cycle great through all my 1911's. Never had one not cycle. When I'm weeding, cutting brush and wood on the property I load the shot shells prior to starting work, along with putting on my snake gaiters. If I'm just out and about the gun is stoked with Federal 230 +p HST hollow points. When needed, I Tactical Load the shot shell magazine and run the slide while catching my HP.

My wife carries her Ruger LCR with the first two shots being .38 CCI shot shells. The rest are her carry loads. They also work well.

We live in northern Yavapai County, Az and I would rather live among rattlers than some people.

I think i agree with you with that last comment, but in northern yavapai county it is sometimes hard to tell them apart.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by deflave
I remember Venturino writing an article that stated #12 is the bomb-diggity for snakes. Travis

So is # 10 shot. I load it in .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, and .41 Magnum. Any of those with # 10 shot will flat take out a poisonous snake. wink

L.W.

I have loaded in all of those calibers pretty much the same way that Venturino suggested in his article. they work pretty good. What also works is a remington 1100 loaded with bird shot particularly after you reloaded a couple of times. I do hate snakes.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..snakes must like you guys.... I spent 11 years camping and hunting in Texas and think I saw a half-dozen snakes... I had a 30 acre place 50 miles east of Dallas and rarely saw a snake.

I have spent the last two months in the boonies of Idaho and yesterday saw my first snake skin...no snake just a shed...

Was going to buy some snake shot for my .41 Magnum and glad I didn't waste the money...

Mackay is always running into snakes...they must know he doesn't like them....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It depends greatly on where you are.

The first 18 years of my life I'd never seen a venomous snake in the wild. Moved to deep East Texas and within a week I'd been bitten by a copperhead. Seeing them and cottonmouths became very commonplace on our farm not to mention a litany of non-venomous ones. Over the next 20 or so years back in North Texas, again, no venomous snakes. Then I bought some land and built a house in a rural area and WOW...rattlesnakes everywhere, but it's very rare to see a non-venomous model.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RJM
..snakes must like you guys.... I spent 11 years camping and hunting in Texas and think I saw a half-dozen snakes... I had a 30 acre place 50 miles east of Dallas and rarely saw a snake.

I have spent the last two months in the boonies of Idaho and yesterday saw my first snake skin...no snake just a shed...

Was going to buy some snake shot for my .41 Magnum and glad I didn't waste the money...

Bob
You must have been out around Canton.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
It depends greatly on where you are.

The first 18 years of my life I'd never seen a venomous snake in the wild. Moved to deep East Texas and within a week I'd been bitten by a copperhead. Seeing them and cottonmouths became very commonplace on our farm not to mention a litany of non-venomous ones. Over the next 20 or so years back in North Texas, again, no venomous snakes. Then I bought some land and built a house in a rural area and WOW...rattlesnakes everywhere, but it's very rare to see a non-venomous model.
It really does. I don't know that I've ever seen a venomous snake on this place but about a mile from here, there's a stretch running north and south that is just full of rattlers. Always has been. We've farmed the area for generations, and my Dad talked about walking around during droughts in the 30's and hearing the rattlers down in the cracks buzzing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I'll have to try this combination load soon: http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of you guys tried flechette loads on snakes? Little pieces of cut wire instead of shot?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No but I'd like to fool with it. There are some Cuban frogs around that need punishment. Wife won't kill them, relocated them for awhile but they hopped back.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Any of you guys tried flechette loads on snakes? Little pieces of cut wire instead of shot?

That is a violation of The Hague Convention! smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Problem is, the CCI .38/.357 shot loads been gone for months at ZlGS and net sites. Had to resort to BB 150 HCWC loads x 2 on a roadside buzzer last month. Missed bad first shot.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had good luck with normal size snakes (2-4') with the crimped .22, but 10' is way too far . 4-5' much better and they just melt. I used to carry an air weight J-frame ..38 with two shot capsules first up. The second one usually came forward and locked up the gun from recoil. . So I went to a stainless 60. Not too bad but I have had the first up capsule slip forward from carry in the holster. A drop or two of super glue is recommed.

I am at the ranch a good bit on a metal Mule. A twenty guage, 20" single shot rests in an unzipped gun case just in front of the steering wheel across the dash, loaded with #8s. It works every time. For handguns, the judge or similar would be hard to beat.

Years ago, I knew an old rancher that had a ..45 Colt SAA without rifling ( yes, I know). He worked the ranch with shot shells first up. He said that if he needed hard lead, it would be close, and for that, it worked just fine. For distance, the trusty .30-30.

I'm with Venturo about the #12 shot.

Our snake sightings are down, but not gone. They seem to run in cycles.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob
You must have been out around Canton.

..was only in Canton a few times to go to the flea market....

My place was in Greenville and as for hunting was just about everywhere but the Panhandle...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to shoot mice in an old refrigerator car with CCI LR shotshells out of a 4 3/4" revolver. You could see the pattern on the dust of that old makeshift granary. Past 10 feet, a mouse had a pretty good chance of escaping, even if centered with the pattern. Inside of 10 feet, it usually stopped them cold. The magnum shotshells added about a foot to that!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.