Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Quantum Mechanics and String Theory are insanely complex fields of study that is beyond my ability to grasp. However, some simple experiments that have been conducted in studying this has blown my mind.

I wonder if any of you guys have looked into this at all, and am curious as to what it means....

Ignore the title of this video, I only post this because it has a great visual explanation of the Two-Slit Experiment.

This experiment showed that matter only exists as a result of observation. I still don't understand how observation creates matter, only that it does.

Not only does observation create matter, but it gives that matter a history and a backstory. Crazy!

So, if all matter, and reality, exists only as a result of observation, then.....ummm.... what or who is the original observer? It would have to be something or someone outside of matter and material reality.... wouldn't it?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You imply it is not Bush's Fault. I am skeptical.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
That made absolutely no sense whatsoever. 2+ whatever= who effing knows?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who effing knows is about right.

I don't fully grasp the science but using their terms, particles aren't particles until they are observed. Until then, they are "potentials" or "probabilities".

Observing causes the probability to collapse into matter, creating a particle, and giving it it's nuclear properties.

Like I said, I don't fully grasp it.

For Quantum computing however, Instead of having a bit that can be either a 1 or a 0, we have q-bits that are neither 1's nor 0's but the sum of both. Meaning they are in a superstate in which they are both a 1 and a 0.... sort of...

I dunno. I just know that we have quantum computers, and they work. The mechanics require far more study into physics than I have, that's for sure.

The thing that impresses me though is how they claim that observation itself creates....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Although unseen, the Lord is always near to those who believe in Him and trust Him and depend on Him for the strength to meet the challenges of life"

"All material things, the universe, the world, even our bodies, may be Eternal Thought expressed in time and space. The more the physicists and astronomers reduce matter, the more it becomes a mathematical formula, which is thought. In the final analysis, matter is thought. When Eternal Thought expresses itself within the framework of space and time, it becomes matter. Our thought, within the box of space and time, cannot know anything firsthand, except material things. But we can deduce that outside the box of space and time is Eternal Thought, which we can call God."

Quantum mechanics and theory are fascinating for me. I think of looking deep into a clear black night sky, deep into the light of the stars, finding myself lost in the depth of what I see.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It seems that QM really causes issues for Materialism and Realism, that's for sure.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Computers and cell phones are about as nerdy as I get, though this always kinda intrigued me....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
laugh

I always thought they had a long list of better choices than Kelly LeBrock....

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
This experiment showed that matter only exists as a result of observation. I still don't understand how observation creates matter, only that it does.

Not only does observation create matter, but it gives that matter a history and a backstory. Crazy!

So, if all matter, and reality, exists only as a result of observation, then.....ummm.... what or who is the original observer? It would have to be something or someone outside of matter and material reality.... wouldn't it?

My favorite color is horse.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing important to realize is that light behaves as a particle in some respects and others it's like a wave.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we have q-bits that are neither 1's nor 0's but the sum of both.

The sum of 1 and 0 is 1.

There. Solved it for ya.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
we have q-bits that are neither 1's nor 0's but the sum of both.

The sum of 1 and 0 is 1.

There. Solved it for ya.

1 = on
0 = off

on + off = ???

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConradCA
One thing important to realize is that light behaves as a particle in some respects and others it's like a wave.

Yes, photons have no mass.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fofno

Duh.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While you guys figure out quantum physics i'll go get some ice and bourbon, much more enjoyable smile

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HAJ,

Pick up Feynman's "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter." Written based on four lectures on quantum electrodynamics for non-scientists. Feynman was exceptionally good at explaining things.

Hint: Nobody knows how it all works, probably a meaningless question. What we can do is predict what will happen under stated conditions.

Hint 2: Forget waves. Why do we assume light only goes in straight lines? Maybe it only appears to do that in conditions we encounter in every day life.

Easy answer to the two slit thing, you're changing the conditions of the experiment. Photon goes source-slit-screen. Photon goes source-slit-detector THEN detector-screen. Now two steps.

============

Oh yeah, skip string theory, it's all a big guess and I think probably untestable. Quantum electrodynamics has been tested for decades and hasn't been found to be in error (yet).

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do not confuse the existence of matter with our perception of the existence of matter. I know it sounds like BS, ontology is tough.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll certainly have to look into his book. I have to be the biggest nerd I know. I start down a path learning about something and the next thing I know, I'm consumed by it. It occupies my every thought for a few days until I encounter the next thing that does this...

This week, it's quantum mechanics...

The thing that gets me about the double slit experiment isn't so much that particles such as photons and electrons can and do operate like waves, rather than particles, but rather when science wanted to know WHY they set up instruments to observe what happens when this stuff passes through the slits.

What happened was the interference patterns vanish, and just two lines appear where the particles went through the slits and impacted the sheet.

The act of observing changed everything. It changed the wave like behavior and the pattern that appeared on the sheet went from several lines to just the two.

The observation gave definition to the undefined. It changed probability into matter.

That blows my mind....

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Do not confuse the existence of matter with our perception of the existence of matter. I know it sounds like BS, ontology is tough.

Exactly! Matter only "exists" (according to QM) when an observation causes the infinite probabilities to collapse into a defined form.

crazy!

Turdlike, by default.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 8 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.